Author Topic: Earthing point in fuse box?  (Read 4686 times)

JazzyJJ

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 EX CVT
Earthing point in fuse box?
« on: July 15, 2017, 11:46:57 AM »
I'm hardwiring a dashcam and need to earth the connection. There is a bolt towards the upper right - just want to make sure I'm earthing properly. Anyone help me? Thanks.

Also, there are a few unused fuse points - can we use them? Are they always on or just when ignition startes? At the moment I've piggy backed the rear demister as the instructions say.

guest1372

Re: Earthing point in fuse box?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 12:49:39 AM »
Almost all the under-dash fuse box points are ignition switched to either ACC or IG1.
The engine bay fuse box is populated with always on type.

Using spare slots is fine, and easy with the right plug in fuse tap.
Any bolt usually makes a good earth, this Jazz mostly uses black cable to link to earthing bolts (occasionally black/yellow and the ECU is earthed with brown/black).

Fuse to component list here: http://www.hondafitjazz.com/manual/A00/HTML/K0/SAA2EK0J54260400000CBAT00.HTML
--
TG

JazzyJJ

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 08:31:09 AM »
The bolt I was looking at is just holding the plastic moulding for the fuse box so it is not earthed to the body of the car.

Can you give me more guidance on where to attach the earth? How do I attach it to the black yellow cables?

I need the connection to be ignition on only.

I'm going to have a look this morning to see if I can finish the job. Thanks.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 08:32:43 AM by JazzyJJ »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 09:46:18 AM »
I took my dashcam power off the cigarette lighter/auxiliary socket wiring.

guest1372

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 11:45:55 PM »
Can you give me more guidance on where to attach the earth? How do I attach it to the black yellow cables?
If you are going round the A pillar then the closest viable earth point is behind the cover on the side of the dash only visible when you open the door but access is tight; the simplest place is probably by removing the cover beneath the knee shelf and finding one there.  Alternatively the cover around the bonnet release lever unclips easily and there are many options behind that.

If going for a central dash top mounting then removing the radio and gaining access to the mid point of the dash is possible, plus there is easy access to all suitable power & earth.  Search Legend-ary's "Fitting an aux-in socket" guide for a good pictorial of radio removal.  Drilling a neat hole in the dash of a Mk1 is probably OK these days, but I would hesitate in a Mk2/3.

Cables routed to earth (chassis ground really) are 95% black / 4.5% black-yellow / 0.5% brown-black.
--
TG

JohnAlways

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2i-VTEC S (AC) 2013
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 08:50:18 AM »
I'm on my 4th dash cam in about 3 years. They only seem to last a few months so I', glad I just put up with a dangly cable!  ???

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 09:11:01 AM »
That's 12 month now that I have had my Nextbase 512G. It wasn't cheap but it has been very reliable. It can take Hi Res stills as well.

JazzyJJ

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 01:36:01 PM »
Alternatively the cover around the bonnet release lever unclips easily and there are many options behind that.

Bingo! Removed bonnet lever cover relatively easily - just small bit of plastic - and loosened the top bolt holding the lever just slightly and slid in there. Worked.

Thanks for your help.

jonathan

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4SE
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2017, 02:59:36 PM »
Good Day,

Thinking about installing a dashcam on the rear window.

Question time:- Within the rear of the car, i.e. light clusters is there a light that has a live feed on permanently on. I don't want to fed the cable through the car to the front fuse box if I can help it. Is there somewhere else in the back of the car I can link the live dashcam wire to.

Hope someone can help.

Jonathan

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2017, 03:08:21 PM »
The tailgate light has a permanent live feed, but if you link to that you would have the dash can on 24/7. You need an ignition controlled supply and I don't know of anything suitable, at the rear of the vehicle.

guest1372

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2017, 04:09:47 PM »
The rear wiper motor has an IG1 power feed, the wiper's controlled by grounding the other side of the motor through switches.  There are differences between cars with/without an intermittent rear wiper but this solid green wire is common to both types and fed from fuse #21 (10A) in the internal fuse box.  It should be easy to access behind the tailgate internal trim and fixing the camera to the glass in the wiped area may make sense.
--
TG

http://www.hondafitjazz.com/manual/A00/HTML/00/SAA2E00000000000000EBAT00i011.HTML

Tags:

anything