Author Topic: Spending on motoring.  (Read 4652 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Spending on motoring.
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2017, 09:26:49 PM »
I'm massively impressed with your mpg Jocko. Of late I've been averaging 40 or slightly less. What type of motoring do you do? I have to say I do a lot of short journeys and relatively little motorway or other trunk road type work.
I do a lot of short journeys, here in Kirkcaldy. Four miles each morning and lunch time, Monday to Friday.
This is my ScanGauge E data for a typical day.

Distance travelled: 8.0 miles.
Average mpg: 49.7 mpg
Average speed: 17 mph
Max speed: 32 mph
Maximum revs: 2576 rpm
Max coolant temp: 77°C

At the weekend we pop over to Lothian so my wife can visit her family.
This is the data for a typical weekend run. Mainly dual carriageway/motorway.

Distance travelled: 93.9 miles.
Average mpg: 57.2 mpg
Average speed: 34 mph
Max speed: 57 mph
Maximum revs: 3431 rpm
Max coolant temp: 85°C

The fuel figures in my spreadsheet are calculated, not from the ScanGauge or dashboard read out.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2017, 09:34:48 PM »
No coasting with Engine Off, like the Hypermilers do. Don't believe in it. I feel it is not safe.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 09:40:29 PM by Jocko »

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2017, 09:59:08 PM »
Thanks for the stats Jocko.

Feel a bit better now. You are doing a lot more distance work than me and even your short stuff is longer than mine if that makes sense.

But impressive figures nevertheless.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2017, 07:06:21 AM »
Took my wife to her work this morning and on returning home downloaded the ScanGauge data for the trip.

Average mpg: 55.4 mpg
Max coolant temp: 74°C
Distance travelled: 3.9 miles
Maximum revs: 2614 rpm
Max speed: 33 mph
Average speed: 20 mph

So that was cold car out of garage, drive better half to hospital, drop her at door, return home and park car in street ready to pick her up at lunch time. Quite good figures considering engine never got fully warmed up (84°C).

guest5079

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2017, 09:07:40 AM »
Whilst I keep a record of what is done to the car, I do not keep a record of fuel. Every so often I do a check and each time it comes out at around 45mpg. This is very mixed driving.
However reference to Peteo, One occasion after doing  a trip of 10 miles stopping,  then did a couple of miles in the middle, before returning to a fair distance run and it went down to 32mpg before returning to normal. So short runs are without question fuel guzzlers.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2017, 09:54:22 AM »
I find short runs gives me a lot more opportunity to improve my mileage. On a long trunk road run, short of keeping your speed in check and driving to avoid having to use the brakes, there is not a lot you can do. However in town and on short trips you have much greater scope. Since fitting the ScanGauge I have found that by slowing in a high gear, with no throttle and low revs, I may get 130 mpg, but by changing down and allowing engine braking I use no fuel at all as the Deceleration Fuel Cut Off comes into play.
Also, on my usual morning trip, the route chosen to avoid as many sets of lights as possible, I know exactly where to lift off the throttle so that the car slows to the speed I want without having to use the brakes.
While my wife gathers her things and gets out the car I used to leave the engine running. Now, for the 30 or so seconds it takes her to get organised, I switch off. Some people will say that causes wear and tear on the starter and drains the battery, etc, but for the 230 extra starts it adds each year, I don't think I need worry.
Since fitting the ScanGauge, and noting what works and what doesn't, I have improved my mph by about 15 - 20%.

[attachment deleted by admin]

guest5079

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2017, 11:06:50 AM »
We are forever told that the way to maximum fuel efficiency is, to maintain a light foot, avoid heavy braking try to anticipate other drivers movements and keep the speed to around 56mph in an appropriate highest gear.
I freely admit to being a bit heavy footed as when I am on open road, hills or otherwise I try and maintain my speed.
Yesterday, I filled up with petrol, which I usually do when the tank gets to half full and decided to try an experiment. I did not slow down to 56mph on the dual carriageway but I did try and be a bit more light footed. After I filled up, my gizmo told me I had '480 miles to my next garage'. I take little notice of this normally BUT yesterday on reaching home I had 490 miles left after 54 miles since filling up. All I did was not increase the power as much on hills. So whats the answer?  The only difference was a slightly lighter right foot, I still bumbled along at 70 where I could.
All of this involved avoiding the hoard from the metropolis causing mayhem in their quest to get to the sea. I travel the A30 once fortnight and see the VERY occasional accident, yesterday 3 accidents
all appeared to be overtaking problems.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2017, 12:27:52 PM »
Seemingly, the experts drive in their stocking soles. I would worry I picked up a stone on my sole, and it wouldn't come to light until I had to do some heavy braking! Did consider driving it my old,  thin, dancing shoes.

Tags:

anything