Author Topic: Hot ignition key  (Read 2427 times)

guest6945

Hot ignition key
« on: June 24, 2017, 09:08:04 PM »
Hi guys, its a strange one.  My car is offroad for the next few weeks so I have been starting it up and running it for 5-10 mins.  Today when I did it I took the key out and it was hot to the touch.  Any ideas what this could be?

Thanks, Phil

guest5079

• Topic Starter
Re: Hot ignition key
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 03:18:15 PM »
Going back to when I was a younger person and working on Moggy 1000's A35 and Ford Anglias ( yes a very long time ago) The hot ignition key was a classic. Cause then was NOT turning wipers etc off before switching the ignition off, so that when the ignition was switched on there was a degree of arcing across the contacts.
In this age of climate control etc nothing is said about switching off all accessories before switching off the ignition. Perhaps ignition switches are more robust these days.
What the answer is I know not, this is one for TG or Culzean as they are the 'boffins'.
As far as I can remember, and 50 yrs is a long time, eventually we had to replace ignition switches when it got too bad. Lets hope your hot key is one of those occasional hiccups and temporary.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 09:47:39 PM »
I was thinking along the same lines. A poor electrical connection at a switch causes heating. No other way I can see an ignition key getting hot. Mind you, with steering locks and such like the switch is a fair bit removed from the actual switch. Not like the old Moggy.

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 12:33:37 AM »
Not aware of any electrical contact made to the key, the immobiliser chip is read by radio frequency and the 'key presence' switch is low voltage / low current.  I don't think there is anything of any significant current running through the ignition switch itself as that is all handled by relays.  I do know a plasterer with a Mercedes van that had been in and out of the dealer with a very intermittent ignition - turned out to be plastery fingerprints on his key.
--
TG

JohnAlways

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2i-VTEC S (AC) 2013
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 08:41:07 AM »
Probably unrelated but if it is a remote key fob then maybe the battery is having a problem. I witnessed a Vape thingy battery burst into flames last week so maybe a bit touchy about batteries.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 01:08:23 PM »
There is a lot of metal around steering lock and I wonder if this is just absorbing heat when car is in the sun and interior gets hot, I noticed this the other day when car had been in Sun and even though interior had cooled down I found that after I started it to check something and turned it off the blade of key was quite hot to touch.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest6945

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 07:17:18 PM »
It was a pretty warm day when it happened, I'll try it again tomorrow and see what happens.  I did have the AC running for a few mins too.

guest6945

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2017, 02:27:40 PM »
Turns out it must have been the sun.  I wouldnt have expected it to burn my leg though!   

Thanks for the help guys!

Tags:

anything