Author Topic: Climate control problem  (Read 7577 times)

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
Climate control problem
« on: June 13, 2017, 04:48:34 PM »
Hi All,

My Hybrid has had a few issues with the air conditioning. It was blowing cold for 10-60 minutes then blowing hot humid air. The hotter the day, the shorter the period of cold air. Anyway after having it checked out by various persons, I coughed up £637 and had an aftermarket air conditioning compressor fitted. So now I have lovely cool air, great !

However last week the evening was a bit cool, so I tried warming the air up, but to no avail, I can only get cold air now.

Today my car went in for its 212,500 mile service, and its first non-Honda service, I asked the garage to look at the lack of warm air and they have concluded that the fault is electrical behind the dashboard and suggested that an auto-electrician have a look at it. They think the fault lies in the motor that opens and closes the valve to allow warm air through to the vents, evidently the pipes going into the heater matrix are hot (so that's good !).

Has anyone had a similar issue, any idea of how much this is going to cost me??

Thanks
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 05:12:45 PM by Ozzie »

guest1372

Re: Climate control problem
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 11:28:13 PM »
Good news is a GE with ACC seems to be easier to diagnose and fix than a GD.  The system can be maintained entirely from the glove box / passenger footwell and the ACC system has a diagnostic mode.

From http://www.hondafitjazz.com/manual3/  > HVAC > Heating / Ventilation   there are several articles of interest:
Blower Unit Removal/Installation
Air Mix Control Motor Test
Air Mix Control Motor Replacement
i.e.
Remove the passenger's dashboard undercover and the glove box.
Disconnect the 7P connector (A) from the air mix control motor (B). Remove the self-tapping screws and the air mix control motor from the heater unit.
Install the motor in the reverse order of removal. Make sure the pin on the motor is properly engaged with the linkage. After installation, make sure the motor runs smoothly.

Also this may help, whichever segments of the temp display is lit for any fault are detailed in the tables:

How to Use the Self-diagnostic Function without the HDS
The climate control unit has a self-diagnostic function. To run the self-diagnostic function, do the following:
Turn the ignition switch to LOCK (0), and then to ON (II).
Press and hold the OFF button. While pressing the REAR WINDOW DEFOGGER/MIRROR HEATER button five times within 10 seconds, then release the OFF button and the self-diagnostic will begin.
NOTE:
The blower motor will run at various speeds regardless of what the panel is displaying.
If there is a problem with the system, it will flash 88, or 88 AUTO or 88 A/C, and one or more of the 14 indicator segments (A through P). Refer to checking for DTCs.  If there are no problems detected, the segments will not illuminate, and the system will appear to be turned off.

Cancelling the Self-diagnostic Function
Turn the ignition switch to LOCK (0) to cancel the self-diagnostic function. After completing repair work, run the self-diagnostic function again to make sure that there are no other DTCs.

Displaying Sensor Inputs at the Climate Control Unit
The climate control unit has a mode that displays sensor inputs it receives.  This mode shows you what the climate control unit is receiving from each of the sensors, one at a time, and it can help you determine if a sensor is faulty.
To run the sensor input display mode, follow these steps:
Turn the ignition switch to LOCK (0).  Press and hold both the AUTO and RECIRCULATION buttons, then start the engine.
After the engine starts, release both buttons. The display panel control unit will flash the sensor number and then the value for that sensor. Record the value displayed.  To advance to the next sensor, press the REAR WINDOW DEFOGGER button.

Sensor 6: Air Mix Opening (Low value indicates cooler air, higher value indicates warmer air distribution) = % of opening

In your case it does sound like a control vane is not moving, whether this is because it is stuck and needs freeing or alternatively it is not being told to move probably denotes the course of action they will take.  Hopefully all you need is a smear of silicone grease.

Diagnostic codes B1233, B1234 & B1235 may also be generated - all these indicate an issue with the air mix motor or control.
--
TG

Ozzie

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 09:24:46 AM »
 :o :o :o Wow ! Thanks.
It gives me hope that its not going to be too horrendous.

guest1372

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 11:20:02 AM »
It would be interesting to see if the self-diagnostic picks anything up and flashes 88 + fault, or returns nothing.
--
TG

Ozzie

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 09:34:22 PM »
I was told that the diagnostics said its an electrical switch problem, I don't know what the code was, the mechanic wasn't sure which switch it was going to be, but thinks its not the one on the dashboard controlling the temperature, but an internal control behind the dashboard. Its booked in for Tuesday, fingers crossed !

Ozzie

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 01:05:53 PM »
The auto electrician has called and said that a motor and the flap that the motor drives need replacing, its a three-day job, and going to be over £500+vat  :o :o :o

Blow that, I will buy a fleece and make do.

guest1372

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 10:50:52 PM »
The motor looks quite easy but the flap is completely buried inside. so that's a bugger.  I hope a resolution presents itself.
--
TG

Ozzie

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 04:48:26 AM »
The car is realistically only worth £2000 now so I will keep it going for the time being. If I can't cope without a heater I will buy another car and keep this one as a spare, I am determined to run it to the end.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 08:25:05 AM »
The minute they change anything from manual to automatic it complicates things (and more complication = more £s).
These days there are more electric motors in a car than you can imagine,  everything from wing mirrors to climate control and seat adjustment.

Only thing electrical I have ever had go wrong with cars with manual aircon / heating was the fan speed resistor pack,  costs about a tenner, and half an hour to replace - and no need to rip the complete dash assembly out of the car to get to it - and I do miss the simple rotating knobs for fan speed and temperature rather than pressing little buttons - and then the system does stuff you don't want it to anyway.

Wife had a 4 year old Fiat and the heater matrix sprung a leak (god bless Fiat quality control) - that cost nearly £450 quid over 15 years ago - most of cost was around 8 hours labour to get complete dash out to access it - I normally fix cars but wasn't up to that job..
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Ozzie

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2017, 03:07:51 PM »
The car is realistically only worth £2000 now so I will keep it going for the time being. If I can't cope without a heater I will buy another car and keep this one as a spare, I am determined to run it to the end.
Yesterday was far too cold for comfort, 9 degrees outside, but felt colder inside the car, so I am looking at getting the heater fixed, the £600 is going to hurt but still less than buying a newer car. Fingers crossed they can fix it.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2017, 03:25:06 PM »
Is it not possible just to get the flap moved to the "Hot" position. At least then, if it is too hot, you can always open a window!

Ozzie

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2017, 07:40:41 PM »
I'm now mega-confused, a fellow driving instructor is selling a Hybrid HX in blue, so I am tempted to buy it, travelling 110 miles to see it mid-week . . . . mine is staying though, I am going to run the two of them :)

guest5079

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2017, 09:12:23 AM »
Ozzie,
I was ploughing through EBay yesterday and came across the motor that operates the heater flaps. IF I read it correctly it is connected to the Climate Control and I know TG has already covered the testing of same. The price was about £10.S/H  Culzean also brought up the heater control resistor which frequently failed on Rovers and was a ten minute job to swap them. Also on EBay were these very resistors for the Jazz. Both of these being for sale suggests that they are both reasonably quick fixes otherwise it would not be worth them being taken out and offered for sale.
 I have just looked at the manual and as TG states all accessible from the passenger glove box.
I find it hard to accept that the flap inside the heater needs replacing surely replacing the motor would be a step worth considering because if it is the motor it can be fixed cheaply and you might even have a heating system that works. Of course chicken and egg situation because the flap failing might have caused the motor to pack up.
If you trust your garage, would it be worth downloading the manual instructions for the replacement of the motor. It is possible they rang Honda who gave them the run around.
Sorry these are just observations.

Ozzie

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2017, 09:08:36 PM »
WOW ! ! ! Many thanks for that, it might be worth giving it a go. Cheers  ;D

Part is ordered !  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 09:39:51 PM by Ozzie »

Ozzie

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 02:35:07 PM »
UPDATE
Armed with the excellent replies by TG and AuntyNeddy, I went in to the local Honda dealership and asked them about fixing the issue. Apparently I may have ordered the wrong part, as the part numbers don't match, but evidently they don't always as its a non-Honda part. They say its £57 to fit the part which is due Thursday or Friday, so its booked in for Tuesday. If the part is non-compatible its £105 for the Honda part, so fingers crossed it may be fixed soon !
Thanks again guys !
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 12:16:09 PM by Ozzie »

Tags: