Author Topic: Constantly deflating tyre / wheel  (Read 6061 times)

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
Constantly deflating tyre / wheel
« on: May 17, 2017, 08:20:26 AM »
My son uses my 2005 Jazz 1.4 SE and has always had trouble with slow deflation of the rear nearside tyre, even now after having new ones put on last year.

I am wondering if this might possibly be due to a deformity in the wheel, maybe if it has been kerbed?

What do you think?

Also, apart from scrap yards, what might my options be to get a replacement wheel - they are alloys.

Thanks.

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
Re: Constantly deflating tyre / wheel
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 09:45:45 AM »
eBay, spoilt for choice almost.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 09:51:34 AM »
have you also checked the valve?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 10:42:10 AM »
I had the same problem with the alloys on my Volvo. Old alloys go powdery inside and this causes the tyre to seal poorly (I know of at least two people who bought brand new cars and specified steel wheels instead of alloys for that very reason). I took mine to an alloy wheel restorer. and for £55 per wheel they came back like new. Never again had an issue with the tyres losing pressure

guest1372

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 11:37:35 AM »
The near rearside on mine (6 spoke 2002) would not hold pressure, refitted & new valve, then new tyre. Gave up and put on different set of alloys (9 spoke 2007), as the original ones had suffered from corrosion and really needed a repaint, so I assume the internal rim must also have been poor as well.  Had not been kerbed.  An eBay replacement could be a gamble as there's a reason someone is selling it, a wheel from a vehicle dismantler is probably a safer bet.  I assume you are looking for 9 spoke style.

On reflection cars of 12+ years old really are a balance between expenditure and ease of ownership, I feel I should have sold mine a couple of years ago as now I'm finding there are more things that need maintaining & fixing.
--
TG

richardfrost

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 12:17:17 PM »
On reflection cars of 12+ years old really are a balance between expenditure and ease of ownership, I feel I should have sold mine a couple of years ago as now I'm finding there are more things that need maintaining & fixing.
--
TG

I know exactly what you mean, but then is it better the devil you know?

I suspect the tyre, being relatively new (last year, car has very low mileage - 6000 / year maybe) and the valve, replaced at the same time, are not at fault. We had deflation issues before hence the new tyres.

Will look into wheels. Anybody know the specifications I need off the top of your heads - not asking you to google for me, I can do that.

Thanks again.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 02:31:55 PM »
I would seriously look in to having the one wheel restored. My £55 was for a large Volvo rim, but the company I went to (We Restore Alloys) charge by rim size. For that they remove the wheel, remove the tyre from the rim, bead blast the wheel inside and out, repair any kerbing, true up any buckling (one of mine was trued up), powder coat, bake, refit tyre, balance wheel and refit to car. This was after restoration. What you are looking at is a 13 year old alloy that has done well over 100,000 miles.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 01:07:02 PM »
The problem seems to be that the OEM wheel weights were the ones with a steel tongue on them that knocks under the tyre bead,  this rips the paint off the rim in that area and then the corrosion sets in from day one.  Same thing (slow leak with no visible sign,  problem is the leak will be on the side of rim that is hidden when wheel is on car) happened to me after only 4 years on my Civic, bloke at ATS explained problem to me - said they use adhesive weights which don't cause the same problem,  This seems like a schoolboy error and I would expect better from Honda.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

richardfrost

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 05:00:19 PM »
The problem seems to be that the OEM wheel weights were the ones with a steel tongue on them that knocks under the tyre bead,  this rips the paint off the rim in that area and then the corrosion sets in from day one.  Same thing (slow leak with no visible sign,  problem is the leak will be on the side of rim that is hidden when wheel is on car) happened to me after only 4 years on my Civic, bloke at ATS explained problem to me - said they use adhesive weights which don't cause the same problem,  This seems like a schoolboy error and I would expect better from Honda.

Will tell that to Tyre City on Saturday and see what they can do, thanks.

richardfrost

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2017, 05:02:19 PM »
I would seriously look in to having the one wheel restored. My £55 was for a large Volvo rim, but the company I went to (We Restore Alloys) charge by rim size. For that they remove the wheel, remove the tyre from the rim, bead blast the wheel inside and out, repair any kerbing, true up any buckling (one of mine was trued up), powder coat, bake, refit tyre, balance wheel and refit to car. This was after restoration. What you are looking at is a 13 year old alloy that has done well over 100,000 miles.

I would definitely have that done if I could find somewhere round here doing that kind of service at that price. The car looks pretty good when clean and polished. Having mint wheels would really set it off.

guest1372

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2017, 07:22:56 PM »
I would definitely have that done if I could find somewhere round here doing that kind of service at that price.
I don't know the price but know of a couple of local places that might be possible, a quick search for the details also brought up alternatives.  I was thinking of Nether Poppleton & Murton (opposite the auction centre) Elvington but places at Fulford & Clifton Moor also popped up.
--
TG

[attachment deleted by admin]

richardfrost

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2017, 01:03:24 PM »
I would definitely have that done if I could find somewhere round here doing that kind of service at that price.
I don't know the price but know of a couple of local places that might be possible, a quick search for the details also brought up alternatives.  I was thinking of Nether Poppleton & Murton (opposite the auction centre) Elvington but places at Fulford & Clifton Moor also popped up.
--
TG

Thanks TG. By 'round here' I meant West Yorkshire. But in fact the car is in full time use by my son, who lives in York, so your examples could be useful. If Tyre City confirm no issues  with the tyre or valve then I will look into those places, thanks.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2017, 02:45:49 PM »

Jazzdriver

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 63 mpg
  • My Honda: 2014 1.4 ES+ CVT and 2022 Crosstar replacing 2021 Crosstar written off
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2017, 08:35:29 PM »
I've bought steel wheels from Oponeo (online company) before.  Good service.

richardfrost

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2017, 11:09:39 PM »
York Wheel Works http://www.yorkwheelworks.co.uk/
They look ideal. Definitely worth a look if the tyre proves to be OK. Thanks.

Tags:

anything