Author Topic: Defunct marques  (Read 3205 times)

chrisv

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 cvt jazz
Defunct marques
« on: February 26, 2017, 04:31:28 PM »
Hi,
As it seems possible that vauxhall will vanish I started thinking about all the makes that have vanished, austin, morris, wolseley, riley, triumph, standard, hillman, singer, sunbeam, humber, have I missed any?  It seems a real shame, from when cars were individual and instantly recognisable,
Chris

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
Re: Defunct marques
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 05:03:15 PM »
If you stick to GB then in recent times Jensen, TVR, Gordon Keeble, Bristol.
The one that brought back happy memories from your list being Riley - superb pre war.
However with all older marques you needed to invest in a good set of overalls.....

davegreen55

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 05:09:48 PM »
A few more - Alvis, AC, Jowett, Rover, Daimler, Lanchester, Lea Francis, Bond, Reliant and Elva.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 05:13:00 PM by davegreen55 »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 05:18:54 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_industry_in_the_United_Kingdom

This is a good write up of history of UK car industry.

There is a list of 'inactive marques' towards the end of article.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

pb82gh3

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Honda Jazz 1.4 VTEC Si
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 05:44:30 PM »
Olduser 1 - Bristol Cars still going, just about, with the Bristol Bullet being the latest.

chrisv

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 cvt jazz
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 06:32:39 PM »
Hi,
I always wanted a rover 3 litre coupe😧
Chris

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 09:26:39 AM »
I drove a Rover 3 liter coupe. After a Rover 16,75,90 and 110..I liked Rovers.

The coupe was nice - as were they all. But Hopeless in snow - as were they all. (I lived in rural Aberdeenshire at teh time)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 10:28:36 AM »
I drove a Rover 3 liter coupe. After a Rover 16,75,90 and 110..I liked Rovers.

The coupe was nice - as were they all. But Hopeless in snow - as were they all. (I lived in rural Aberdeenshire at teh time)

When I was an apprentice one of the electicians had a Rover 90 and his trick was to balance a threepenny coin on the rocker cover while it was ticking over,  and the coin did not fall over.

One of the people at the company had a Bristol (don't know the model), with a huge engine,  sounded like a power boat.

Rear wheel drive is normally pants in snow as engine weight is on front wheels (VW Beetle was RWD rear engine and was OK on snow), but a lot easier to maintain than Front wheel drive, I used to change clutches and gearboxes on RWD just by driving car onto ramps, unbolting propshaft and pushing it back out of the way,  then the world was your lobster, easy-peasy access,  not like FWD where most jobs require engine out or major surgery on front suspension.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 10:32:07 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest5079

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 11:46:27 AM »
We changed to a Jazz from a Rover 45 V6 Auto. The reason we changed the car was because the gear box was beginning to play up. The gearbox was a 5 speed Jatco which was or even maybe still fitted to Jaguar,Porsche plus a few others. As with all auto boxes the problems can be relatively small or mega bucks. VERY sensitive to transmission oil change regime.
The V6 lump was a Rover engine NOT a Honda engine built to get under the emissions unfortunately that had a weak spot ie the manifold which had a system whereby the distance the gases travelled was constant whatever the throttle opening. The butterflies were plastic and fragile. Cam belts ( all 3) were expensive to buy and change.
The car was based on the Civic. It had everything fitted except satnav and the aircon was not climate control.
My Wife and I regret it going but with the failure of Rover parts were difficult because the V6 had everything like radiators specific to the car.
BUT with 150bhp it was a cruiser and and a goer and so comfortable, even in snow ( the gearbox had a snow mode) we do regret the car going but the little Jazz is a pretty good replacement in many ways.

Tags: