Author Topic: Tyres! Winter or All Season?  (Read 16393 times)

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: Tyres! Winter or All Season?
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2016, 01:07:55 PM »
I think another issue for some people is storage if you don't have a garage. We have a shed but it's bursting at the seams anyway.

You can get "Tyre hotel" storage but I think it's quite expensive. Nevertheless, if my circs were different and I did go for winter tyres, something to consider.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2016, 09:11:27 AM »
http://www.tirereview.com/silica-siping/

Attached is an interesting link about tyres and tyre compounds.  Using silica you can have your cake and eat it,  harder compound (longer wear life and lower rolling resistance) with more grip ----- result !!  As referred to in the article this silica can be made from burnt rice husks, this silica is also used in concrete to strengthen it and replace some of the expensive cement.

It touches on winter tyres because Nokian (the masters of winter tyres) developed the zig-zag 'sipe' (those little cuts in the tread)  -   or is it zag-zig if you put the tyres on the wrong way ?.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 09:19:40 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest5355

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2016, 04:56:37 PM »
Hi,
 In the winter of 2010 I saw a programme on TV about winter Snow tyres and as a result  the next day I bought 4,  for our Car.  2 or 3 days later, all hell broke out in Essex (where we live) we left home in the sun but about 1 hour later the snow (Lots & Lots) arrived and they (tyres) were fantastic. Since then I have changed tyres/wheels every winter till March (ish).
 Sorry to the forum but we have just parted company with our Jazz, as my wife needed more room in the car due to a serious back condition and the seats were to low for her.
  AS a result I have put the tyres, wheels, up for sale on eBay and in the forum

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2017, 10:40:54 AM »
Here is a auto express all season tyre test,  seems the gap between dedicated summer and winter tyres and all-season is narrowing and the average driver (who does not drive like Lewis Hamilton) would be quite happy with all-season performance all year round. On my Civic I have Nokian Winters (very quiet and grippy) and Michelin ES+ summers (very quiet) at the moment, but because of the lower annual mileage I now do I (used to get new tyres about every 18 months)  would consider all-season (especially in UK where snow is now rare).   I do think however that having winters on steel wheels saves your alloys from ravages of winter as well as protecting the brake discs (especially the rear) a lot better because the steel wheels and trims pretty much totally enclose the brakes, unlike alloys that let all the salt and crud through onto brakes.

Having taken my wifes Nokian 175/65-15 winter tyres off and put the 185/55-16 summers back on about a month ago we are both dismayed by the extra noise and harsher ride on her Si Jazz.

I am surprised how well the Winter Nokians are wearing,  my wife has gone through 2 winters now (2 x 6 month periods) and they are showing very little wear.   

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/92873/all-season-tyre-test-201617-results-by-category
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2017, 01:45:21 AM »
I run a driving school 2009 Jazz and three years ago when my original summer Dunlop tyres needed replacing, I got a set of Nexen N'Priz 4S. Unfortunately, there hasn't been much snow in London but I have find them very good in all conditions. Further, they are really good value, £37 per tyre. They have updated their tyre to N' Blue 4S.

Good thing about All Season Tyre is that you don't need to change them around. They done 20k miles and still has 4-5 mm on them!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2017, 12:14:14 PM »
Went out for a drive this morning in about 5 inches of snow on local roads,  the Nokian WR D3 winter tyres on my wifes Jazz were absolutely amazing,  chalk and cheese to summer tyres on snow.  I could accelerate quite quickly even on hills with traction control occasionally cutting in,  and braking was excellent.

Saw a few beemer drivers stuck but no help coming their way from me,  at least when a beemer is stationary it is not annoying other road users and causing problems (except when parked in disabled parking space).

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2017, 02:33:15 PM »
Yes winter tyres are great, its the other road users revving the guts out of their motors in snow winter conditions that concern me

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2017, 03:34:06 PM »
Yes winter tyres are great, its the other road users revving the guts out of their motors in snow winter conditions that concern me

Our neighbour had a Toyota RAV 4 with summer tyres on, in earlier winters with snow and her sloping drive she had steam coming off her tyres from spinning her wheels, never thought about cleaning any snow off drive.  A front wheel drive car with winters on is much better than a 4x4 with summer tyres. Rear wheel drive cars are sh1te in snow or mud.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2017, 03:38:51 PM »
Just on the topic of winter tyres - what do people who have them do when they change the car, especially to a car with different tyres sizes? Is it a good selling point?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2017, 04:10:59 PM »
Just on the topic of winter tyres - what do people who have them do when they change the car, especially to a car with different tyres sizes? Is it a good selling point?

Possibly people sell them with the car or on ebay or forums,  but I tend to keep cars for a while so they will probably wear out anyway.  Most people still not convinced winter tyres + steel rims are worth it,  but they are a game changer in snow and mud and do protect your  alloys from winter salt and kerbing,  and from experience they also protect brakes from corrosion as steel wheels pretty much cover up the brakes completely,  and with addition of wheel trims they keep pretty much everything out.   It is so easy to wash steel rims after winter and slap a coat of Hammerite or plasticote on wheels,  something you would probably not do with alloys,  and you are more likely to hit kerb in winter, a steel rims don't suffer as much as alloys.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2017, 04:24:32 PM »
Well I just traded in my HRV and the dealer was uninterested in my Winter tyres.

I put a post on the HRV forum, basically giving them away. No takers. Stunning. I shall turn them into some form of garden seat cum planter in the Spring.

I have never been stopped by snow when I have had Winters on my Jazz or HRV, and I live high up a step hill in Yorkshire.

I traded for a Hybrid 4x4 Rav4 which has Bridgestone all season tyres on, so it remains to be seen how this combination will perform, but I have high hopes.

But Culzean is right about winters vs 4x4. Your typical 4x4 driver on Summer tyres is probably more dangerous in snow because of the over confidence they will have in their traction system.

I remember a test a while back using two Ford Kugas, one 2x4 and one 4x4 in a indoor snowdome. The 2x4 with Winters made it to the top and the 4x4 on Summers climbed a few metres before getting stuck and even sliding back a little.

I found the link... http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/66692/winter-tyres-4x4-grip-test-video
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 04:28:34 PM by richardfrost »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2017, 04:38:45 PM »

I put a post on the HRV forum, basically giving them away. No takers. Stunning. I shall turn them into some form of garden seat cum planter in the Spring.

But Culzean is right about winters vs 4x4. Your typical 4x4 driver on Summer tyres is probably more dangerous in snow because of the over confidence they will have in their traction system.

The problem is 4x4 are normally heavier than other vehicles and this shows with the 4x4 Kuga sliding back in the test,  also 4x4 harder to stop because of the extra weight.

I originally got winters for my wifes Jazz because we have a hell of a slope off our estate and it is the only way out,  also her GE came without spare so I bit the bullet and paid £80 per corner for steel wheels + Nokian 175/65R15 WR-D3 winters from mytyres.co.uk,  fully fitted and balance and arrived in 3 days,  excellent service.  She uses winter tyre for spare in summer and vice-versa.   To be honest our GD Jazzes with summer tyres were not to bad in snow, but the GE with stupid 185/55R16 tyres was a lot less effective.  Never have to reset TPMS when changing wheels over, but on my Civic it decides after about 10 miles that its gonna complain.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 04:45:58 PM by culzean »

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2017, 09:58:45 PM »
Finally, snow in London! I was able to test my Nexen N'Priz 4S all weather tyres in the snow after 3 yrs. They were safe and gave alot of grip in the snow. For the price I paid, £37, definitely worth the money. New model, the N'BLUE 4 Seasons are said to be even better.

Defender

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 1.4 EX CVT
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2017, 08:16:09 PM »
Well my Cooper WM SA2's are still doing a sterling job, I didn't even bother to swap them over in the spring for the 16" summer set, as I'm doing fewer car miles now, much less than 2k since the MOT in May.
Still unsure as to what to do when they wear out, but judging by the performance over the last couple of days I'll stick with a full winter set, my nextdoor neighbour was well impressed with the grip, where his Q3 Quattro failed to work at all!
The only slight issue was found clearance, as the undertray was scrapping on the snow.
2011 1.4 EX CVT in Metalic Mushroom (Urban Titanium).

eagle123

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz 1.4 se gd series
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2018, 02:55:21 PM »
Well my Cooper WM SA2's are still doing a sterling job, I didn't even bother to swap them over in the spring for the 16" summer set, as I'm doing fewer car miles now, much less than 2k since the MOT in May.
Still unsure as to what to do when they wear out, but judging by the performance over the last couple of days I'll stick with a full winter set, my nextdoor neighbour was well impressed with the grip, where his Q3 Quattro failed to work at all!
The only slight issue was found clearance, as the undertray was scrapping on the snow.
I got Goodyear gen 2 all season tyres makes light work on snow and also a lot quieter the Michelin cross climate + are good as well but the Michelin's have weak rating on snow

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Tags:

anything