Author Topic: anti freeze  (Read 4296 times)

guest5251

anti freeze
« on: December 07, 2015, 04:43:26 PM »
does anyone know what variant of anti freeze the coolant system is filled up with
i.e. ethylene glycol ,oat or H oat
i have asked the dealers and they dont know i do have a part number of
08CLA-G01-6S0 for the honda antifreeze
i want to buy a bottle to have for topping up during the winter months.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: anti freeze
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 05:19:19 PM »
You shouldn't need to be contemplating topping up the coolant. If you are needing to top up then there's either a leak or you are over-filling it. I never touched the coolant in over 4 years of owning the hybrid and, as far as I know, it didn't need topping up during the annual servicing.

2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

guest3042

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 06:38:25 PM »
Agreed. I have never touched my Hybrid under the bonnet except for topping up the screen wash. Regular services takes care of the rest.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 06:52:22 PM »
Having owned various Jazz's for nearly ten years none have ever needed topping up with coolant.

Half way between high and low marks when cold is adequate.

Vic.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 07:06:07 PM »
Have to agree with other posters as I have never had to add anti-freeze to a Honda.  But here is some anti-freeze info.

All antifreeze mixtures contain ethylene glycol which is the 'anti freeze' bit (which never wears out),  the OAT (organic acid technology) and HOAT (hybrid organic acid technology) are the anti-corrosion chemicals that keep the system free of corrosion and gunge (this is the bit that wears out or gets used up over time), modern anti-corrosion additives last at least 5 years under normal use, Honda say the original OEM fill should be replaced after 10 years from new and then every 5 years .

You can basically ignore the colour of anti-freeze it is only there to show up a leak in the system and each maker adds their own colour to basically the same chemical mix.  I have used silicate free OAT  premixed 50% from Halfords ( http://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/antifreeze/halfords-oat-ready-mixed-antifreeze-2-litres ) in cars and motorbikes.  Anti-freeze containing silicates is not suitable for modern engines and  can ruin your water pump and seals in short order, OAT and HOAT is long life and compatible with mixed metal systems. ( 2 litre bottle for top-ups  - for full system change buy 5 litre bottle)

Buy pre-mixed 50% concentration with distilled water,  as this gives best protection,  below and ABOVE this concentration actually gives less protection against freezing (so its not a case of more is better).

if you search antifreeze on this forum there is quite a lot of information.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 07:21:05 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags: