Author Topic: Accident with uninsured driver.  (Read 18879 times)

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
Accident with uninsured driver.
« on: August 15, 2011, 08:11:48 PM »
Title says it all.

Yesterday afternoon my Jazz was swiped by another vehicle. He drove off and gave me the run-around to shake me off. I lost sight of him until I caught up at some traffic lights. I got out the car to approach the other driver and he sped off into the other lane and straight through a red light and almost collided with other traffic.

My insurance have confirmed the car is not insured.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 12:50:03 PM by RichardA »

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
Re: Accident with uninsured driver.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 08:40:52 PM »
Thats bad news, unfortunately this is the side effect of high insurance premiums. Hopefully you have full comprehensive insurance that will cover your repairs. There is a government fund tio help pay out for such instances, but your insurance company will obviously be aware of that.

Oz

Garyman

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 ES
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 10:19:47 AM »
Sorry to hear about this Richard  ???

Do you attract accidents? I'm sure you've only been in one recently.

I would have been straight on the phone to the police with reg details and location- not that that would make much difference  ::)

Geoffers

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 12:11:53 PM »
Members may find this useful!

RichardA

• Topic Starter
  • Administrator
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 08:45:56 PM »
I had one a year ago. That one was at one of numerous merge-in-turn sections on a route I used to use often. It was only a question of time before something happened, the lengths I've seen drivers go to push in at the last minute and equally, those who block people off from filtering in.

This one? The Saab driver overtook two lanes of traffic on the central reservation just before a roundabout and hit my car on return to the outside lane.

The Police aren't interested over the phone, you have to go to the Police station and report it in person. It was not helpful that my local Police station in a large coastal town in summer was not open!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 09:10:02 PM by RichardA »

guest238

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 09:27:49 PM »
I had one a year ago. That one was at one of numerous merge-in-turn sections on a route I used to use often. It was only a question of time before something happened, the lengths I've seen drivers go to push in at the last minute and equally, those who block people off from filtering in.

Ah, I love these. Doesn't the Highway Code say about Merge-in-Turn these days? But then who reads the Highway Code after passing their test? ;) Or just use common sense?

For every 320d-driving David Brent or White Van Man type forcing people into the kerb, I've seen the self-righteous types tailgate the car in front to stop people from merging in turn. Either way, it's the Me First attitude that gets no-one anywhere. Last week I had some idiot in a Chevrolet WhatsItCalledAgain tailgate me in slow moving traffic determined not to let the Ford Focus alongside me filter in behind me and in front of him. He was not best pleased when I waved Focus driver to go pass judging by the coffee beans hand gestures he was making at me for the next few miles. :D

guest238

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 09:30:31 PM »
Quote from: RichardA
The Saab driver overtook two lanes of traffic on the central reservation just before a roundabout and hit my car on return to the outside lane.

Quote from: RichardA
I got out the car to approach the other driver and he sped off into the other lane and straight through a red light and almost collided with other traffic.

Jesus Christ :o

guest907

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 05:49:48 PM »
A left hand drive truck moved suddenly into my lane on the M6 late last year, hit me (2009 EX)causing loss of control. After spinning several times hitting the crash barrier we came to a stop the wrong way round. The truck had stopped ahead in the distance...hurragh. Then he drove off...the bar steward!

Car wrote off, no cameras saw anything and because in the same year a cyclist rode into the side of the same car and claimed off me!!!...the insurance doubled to almost £1500.

OK my wife and I were nothing more than shook up...mega bonus but it still costs me in the long run.

Driving another Jazz 2010 EX, that's the 5th Jazz I've had so far...love them. 

RichardA

• Topic Starter
  • Administrator
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 06:29:05 PM »
Two and half weeks later the Police sent a letter stating they are "Unable to trace the registered keeper of the vehicle at the time of the collision". After several attempts to phone the crash unit (they never answer the phone during my lunch break!) I was told that the Police station who I reported it to did not forward the neither the Saab's registration number or  that of my car! They did of course have record that I had presented my driving licence, MoT and insurance certificate. The Police will now finally send the other driver a letter.

A quick search says that the usual 14 day period of which notice of prosecution must be issued doesn't apply if a collision has occurred and the other driver knew it took place. The fact the collision took place is regarded as notice that prosecution is being considered.

guest806

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 08:37:53 PM »
Richard first thought was this was your old post.  Sorry to hear about it.  It really annoys me how people have no respect for others property.  I was parked at Legoland the otherday when a kid just swung open the door straight onto mine.  I  approached the perant who claimed her kid had got out of the other side!
 >:(

RichardA

• Topic Starter
  • Administrator
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2011, 07:56:42 PM »
I dropped my Jazz off at the repairers this morning and would you believe it they gave me a.....GE Jazz 1.2 SE courtesy car.   :D

For a second or two I thought I was going to get a 57-plate Chevrolet Matiz with missing wheelcovers!  :o

RichardA

• Topic Starter
  • Administrator
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 08:24:29 PM »
My Jazz has now been fixed.  8)

The only replacement part was the plastic inside the wing. The dents have been removed from the driver's door and front wing, and they even removed the door ding that someone kindly made just below the door handle!

Still no further sightings of V*****T and still awaiting response from the Police.

RichardA

• Topic Starter
  • Administrator
  • Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011, 08:18:35 PM »
Police have stated that the registered keeper has not responded to the letter sent in early September. They have now sent another letter requesting who was driving at the time by recorded delivery. If that is not replied to the Police may send an officer round to knock on the door!

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2011, 09:10:41 AM »
I believe it is an offence in itself for a registered keeper not to respond to a "Who was driving?" enquiry.  Many long-outstanding unpaid parking fines are dealt with in court this way.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2011, 11:59:57 AM »
Good luck if you have a prang with an un-insured driver - my brother has been twice hit by un-insured drivers (he lives in Wolverhampton - i will leave it up to you to guess nationality of un-insured drivers involved).  In one of these events the father (not insured for the vehicle) was driving but later the son (insured) insisted that he was in fact driving at the time - the police got nowhere / didn't seem interested and nothing happened.

Take photos at the time - they may not be entirely addmissable as evidence but they may help!!
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags:

anything