Author Topic: What MPG are you getting from your Mk1 Honda Jazz ?  (Read 206728 times)

gtd2000

• Approved Member
  • Tell it as it is..NOT how it should be!
  • My Honda: 2006 Honda Jazz
Re: What MPG are you getting from your Mk1 Honda Jazz ?
« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2017, 09:11:50 AM »
Did some checking of the "new" Jazz (2006) yesterday on a run from St Boswells to Berwick upon Tweed (Spittal).

Reset the trip at St B and found that at 40mph on the flat you could achieve 70+MPG. (My old record was 73.1MPG with the original 2002 model).

By the time we arrived in Spittal I was showing 65.8MPG.

Arriving home in the evening MPG was back down to 56MPG.

The new Jazz seems to be able to get good MPG but not nearly as easily as the old one. The old one would manage 60+MPG on a Sunday run without any difficulty.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #76 on: August 14, 2017, 09:29:11 AM »
Great photos!

Yes,  striking photos.

We saw them starting the new Queensferry bridge when we were in Scotland a few years ago , cable stay rather than suspension design.

I think suspension bridges are going out of fashion due to the fact that the large single cables required to support the road deck are prone to corrosion and once the bridge is up and running it is impossible / extremely expensive to replace the cables and would require the bridge to be closed for a long time.   All main UK suspension bridges  (The Forth bridge, Severn bridge, Humber bridge etc.) have microphones fitted to the cables and the number of inner steel cores that snap are monitiored,  the best that can be done is to blow dry air up the cables to slow the corrosion.   

Cable stay bridges like the new Forth (Queensferry) bridge can have individual cables replaced while in service, so are liable to last a lot longer.  They are more like the old 'cantilever' design original Forth rail bridge.  Would be interested to know how long the Forth suspension bridge will last before major repairs needed.

Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #77 on: August 14, 2017, 10:19:53 AM »
The reason they built the new one is to replace the old one, because of cable corrosion. Next month the old bridge will be closed to all but buses, cyclists and pedestrians.
Having said that, since commencing building the new bridge they have discovered that the corrosion is nowhere near as severe as they thought.
I imagine that the long term plan is to do repairs to the old bridge, then have them both back in commission, as one bridge is not enough. The new bridge will simply take the jams that were on the old bridge. It will still be four lanes of northbound motorway traffic squeezed down into two.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #78 on: August 24, 2017, 07:59:17 AM »
Filled my tank today, and after 445 miles of my normal mixed motoring the calculated fuel consumption figure worked out at 60.7 mpg. I topped up with Shell V-Power today, but think I will revert back to supermarket Regular. Today's top up cost £5.95 a gallon, whereas the supermarket regular is currently £5.21 a gallon.
I added the last half bottle of Redex Petrol Treatment to the full tank, but don't think I'll bother using that in future, either.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #79 on: September 01, 2017, 07:15:11 PM »
Topped the tank up this morning. My calculated mpg was 60.9 mpg. According to Fuelly, my average for the last 3 months is 58.9 mpg. We'll see what happens once the cold wet winter gets here - next Tuesday!

guest4871

« Reply #80 on: September 01, 2017, 07:35:33 PM »
I think you can be very proud of a solid 60 mpg on a 10 year old car.

Quite an achievement!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #81 on: September 16, 2017, 04:31:53 PM »
My fuel efficiency has dropped off considerably, after replacing my front tyres. I wondered if I had a poor seal and a tyre was deflating, but that wasn't the case. I have also checked for a dragging brake, but everything is okay in that department. It is all pointing to the tyres, as my ScanGauge started to display the poorer figure on my return from having them changed, and has not improved since.
The thing is, I am not hard on tyres, and, barring accidents, they will probably see the car out! I will just have to live with them, as I am not in a position to change them just because of poor mpg. I'll just have to suck it up.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #82 on: September 16, 2017, 06:31:22 PM »
My fuel efficiency has dropped off considerably, after replacing my front tyres. I wondered if I had a poor seal and a tyre was deflating, but that wasn't the case. I have also checked for a dragging brake, but everything is okay in that department. It is all pointing to the tyres, as my ScanGauge started to display the poorer figure on my return from having them changed, and has not improved since.
The thing is, I am not hard on tyres, and, barring accidents, they will probably see the car out! I will just have to live with them, as I am not in a position to change them just because of poor mpg. I'll just have to suck it up.

What tyres did you have on before and what did you replace them with ?  How much has MPG dropped ?
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #83 on: September 16, 2017, 08:47:28 PM »
Original tyres were Firestone Multihawk 2. New tyres are Riken, fitted by the Honda dealer. For what I can find on line, the Riken tyres are about the worst for economy they could have fitted. Don't know for sure until I do a top up and calculation, but it looks like a 5 - 10% drop in mpg.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #84 on: September 16, 2017, 09:52:18 PM »
Did you choose the Rikens Jocko, or do do they just bung on what they can get?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #85 on: September 16, 2017, 10:11:07 PM »
They were going to fit Hankooks but couldn't get them so fitted the Rikens, I just got what they fitted. I have no complaints other than the fuel consumption. I'll do my sums and maybe get something else. I can always stick them in the back of the garage for emergencies. Even have a look in the breakers for a pair of steel wheels (that's what I have already).

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #86 on: September 17, 2017, 12:04:31 AM »
Well, there's some sense in that if it's making that much difference. Rough back of a fag packet type guesstimation, 10% loss of mpg is worth about £100 per 10,000 miles?

You have to weigh it up against the cost of something like the Hankook Ecos, which are quite a bit dearer than the Rikens. There seems to be quite a lot of these Riken tyres about at the moment, cheaper than normal. I saw them around £60 a pair to fit mine - 185/55x15 supply only.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #87 on: September 17, 2017, 09:19:09 AM »
I replaced Michelin ES+ on my Civic with Avon ZV7 tyres and they are much grippier,  just as quiet but a little (only a little) stiffer in the sidewall - when you consider they cost £50 instead of £76 that makes a difference on 4 tyres over £100.

Have not noticed any change in MPG, but have noticed how much better they are in wet and dry grip (with ES+ used to easily spin the front wheels on some of the junctions by where I live,  but takes a deliberate over-use of power now to do it) also very good directional stability.  Not so worried about getting mega miles out of tyres anymore (which is why I always got ES+) as I have retired and gone from 25 to 30K a year down to less than 10K.

Avon don't seem to do the 185/65R16 fitted to some Jazz (including my wifes GE) but I would consider them if they did. 

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #88 on: September 20, 2017, 09:33:57 AM »
Just filled my tank up, the first complete top up since fitting the new tyres and I only got 55.7 mpg. I cay "only", but it has been around 60 mpg for the last few top ups. Still better than my running average over my ownership of the vehicle though.
This time the dashboard computer was wildly out at 60 mpg.
So the new tyres have reduced my fuel efficiency by about 3 - 5%. Disappointing, but not as bad as I first thought.

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #89 on: October 03, 2017, 08:33:51 PM »
What pressure? I think the recommended is @ 32 but I have mine at 34-35. I always up the pressure by a few pounds. Much better for my taste in every way except maybe an incy whincy bit of comfort. Better wear and handling and almost certainly improves MPG. Not so good on icey conditions of course but easily adjusted.

Tags: