Author Topic: Side effects of lockdown.  (Read 1273 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Side effects of lockdown.
« on: February 20, 2021, 05:01:37 PM »
We are experiencing an unexpected side effect of lockdown at one of our retail parks. MacDonalds have a drive-through, but at lunchtime, the queueing traffic is so busy that the traffic completely gums up the retail park's exits. The police have been in attendance on several occasions as angry motorists drive against oncoming traffic to get past the queues. The local MP has got his neb in too, but the police cannot be there every day, and when they are not, the traffic is chaos. I made the mistake of stopping at Boots to pick up an online order this lunchtime and then had to dodge through various parking areas and service areas to get out.

Johncb500

• Approved Member
  • Honda owner since 1971,on 2 and 4 wheels
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz EX 2012-CB500/4 1974
Re: Side effects of lockdown.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2021, 05:05:45 PM »
Have a similar problem here.

Cars clogging the main road as they queue to get into the drive through

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2021, 05:06:00 PM »
They must be desperate if they're prepared to queue for what must be ages.

Be quicker to chuck some oven chips in :)
Let's be careful out there !

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2021, 11:01:10 AM »
We are experiencing an unexpected side effect of lockdown at one of our retail parks. MacDonalds have a drive-through, but at lunchtime, the queueing traffic is so busy that the traffic completely gums up the retail park's exits. The police have been in attendance on several occasions as angry motorists drive against oncoming traffic to get past the queues. The local MP has got his neb in too, but the police cannot be there every day, and when they are not, the traffic is chaos. I made the mistake of stopping at Boots to pick up an online order this lunchtime and then had to dodge through various parking areas and service areas to get out.

Same at our local retail park where Tesco is situated.  Queues at MacDonalds and KFC ( right next to each other ) blocking the single access road, good to see people are eating healthily during lockdown though ;D,  and disposing of their packaging responsibly ( many of the surrounding roads have high levels of litter that look suspiciously like fast food packaging and coffee cups).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

cornishpasty

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 ES 1.4iVTEC
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2021, 11:38:12 AM »
Years ago, I went to NZ for 2 months camping with a cheap car. Sometimes on back roads I was never sure how far away from a town I was, until the Mc D cups and wrappers came in to view at the roadside. I knew then that I was 10 to 15 minutes away from civilization !

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2021, 12:06:03 PM »
That is another unexpected side effect of Lockdown. Since the schools were closed, the streets around me are so much cleaner: no more polystyrene chip containers and burger boxes blowing about in the breeze and littering gardens. And the seagulls have to learn to catch fish again!

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2021, 12:15:11 PM »
That is another unexpected side effect of Lockdown. Since the schools were closed, the streets around me are so much cleaner: no more polystyrene chip containers and burger boxes blowing about in the breeze and littering gardens. And the seagulls have to learn to catch fish again!

I've noticed the same effect.
Just down the road from me is a primary and a secondary school, a Lidl's and a couple of shops selling fast food takeaways.
It was always somewhere to avoid around lunch time.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 12:18:49 PM by JimSh »

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2021, 12:25:57 PM »
I've never understood the allure of a MaccyD, although it may have improved since I last had a burger from them in the 80's. On a road trip, a covenient coffee or tea, but not the food. Sooner have a home made cheese sarnie any day!

The litter is appalling. The brown bags and white cups get everywhere. I wonder is it a demographic thing, but more likely just volume of sales. Either way, how hard is it to find a bin? Or stick it in a bag and take it home!

Litter in general absolutely make me go into full Victor Meldrew mode. Add in some pot holes, aggressive driving and dazzling headlights, and some journeys are a perfect storm for a grumpy outburst.  :D

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2021, 12:58:10 PM »
I've never understood the allure of a MaccyD, although it may have improved since I last had a burger from them in the 80's.

I don't think they have! I always get roped in to a McDonalds on the holiday journey up to Scotland, always Broxden roundabout at about 4am - that's how often I go, and it doesn't get any better. It's a long enough interval to forget how bad it really is, and I'm always disappointed.

And yes, the litter around these sites is awful - I would imagine the number of drive-thru customers now has made this much worse. Fortunately, the nearest McDonalds is miles away.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 01:03:17 PM by sparky Paul »

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2021, 01:50:22 PM »
I'd rather go hungry than have a MacD. And not just because I am old and grumpy. I've never liked them.

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2021, 02:11:47 PM »
I've never understood the allure of a MaccyD, although it may have improved since I last had a burger from them in the 80's.

I don't think they have! I always get roped in to a McDonalds on the holiday journey up to Scotland, always Broxden roundabout at about 4am - that's how often I go, and it doesn't get any better.
If you're going towards Dundee try the Glendoick Garden Centre about halfway between Perth and Dundee.
If you're continuing up the A9 there's lots of wee cafes just off the road in Birnam or Dunkeld or the pub beside the river.
(Taybank Hotel.)
Edit Added name of hotel
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 02:36:42 PM by JimSh »

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2021, 02:18:30 PM »
If you're going towards Dundee try the Glendoick Garden Centre about halfway between Perth and Dundee.
If you're continuing up the A9 there's lots of wee cafes just off the road in Birnam or Dunkeld or the pub beside the river.
There is not a lot of choice at 4 am. The transport cafe in Perth was open 24/7 but I don't know if it is still there.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2021, 02:34:20 PM »

Not many of them open at 3-4am unfortunately! I would still probably get outvoted though.

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2021, 02:50:34 PM »

Not many of them open at 3-4am unfortunately! I would still probably get outvoted though.
Sorry. Read it as pm.
I've never been in the facilities at the Stirling roundabout (Pirnhall) but I imagine they would be comparable with Perth.
https://motorwayservicesonline.co.uk/Stirling
Added links
https://www.glendoick.com/   If you are ever up in the daylight.
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g190751-d1207268-Reviews-or10-The_Taybank-Dunkeld_Perth_and_Kinross_Scotland.html
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 04:42:15 PM by JimSh »

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2021, 03:44:13 PM »
I've never been in the facilities at the Stirling roundabout (Pirnhall) but I imagine they would be comparable with Perth.

Can't be much worse, there's only a largish petrol station with shop, and a McDonalds, at Broxden. The only handy thing is you can take the dog out for a quick walk and a widdle.

Tags:

anything