Author Topic: Intermittant metalic noise under braking  (Read 2184 times)

smunley

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 ES Plus CVT
Intermittant metalic noise under braking
« on: June 16, 2018, 04:09:58 PM »
My 2015 Jazz EX Auto (37,000) has had an intermittant problem for over a year now which started at 24,000 miles. When I leave the house I drive for 3/4 mile downhill to the main road (30mph zone). As it is an auto the brakes are used for most of this descent. Occasionally as I get to the bottom of the hill a loud metalic noise is evident which varies as the speed changes but does not disappear when the brakes are released. Once on the main road the noise disapears within 100yards. It appears to me as though something is heating up and expanding causing metal to metal contact which clears as soon as the brakes start to cool. In April'17 I took the car to my Honda dealer who reported no fault found. Brakes pads and disks were fine, car was serviced at 32,000 again pads etc were fine. Recently at 37,000 miles I reported the noise again to my Honda dealer who again found no fault but recommended a strip down and clean of the rear brakes AND new disks and pads at the front (70% worn pads). As the problem was evident 13,000 miles ago I am not confident that any of the recommended work would resolve the issue. Thoughts welcome!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Intermittant metalic noise under braking
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 04:18:16 PM »
It might be worth getting an independent garage to check it out for you.

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 04:30:17 PM »
The length of time it's been happening is odd, but is the noise more of a ringing sound?

Daughter's Jazz did this when an inner rear pad wore and the noise is the acoustic wear indicator.  She took it to Honda and they did a health check and said the brakes were fine!  Turns out the health check is done on the ground and they just walk around the car, so they didn't look at the inner pads.

Her car probably made the noise for a couple of months, and perhaps 2000 miles though - not the length of time and mileage yours has.

guest4871

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 04:57:11 PM »
It might be worth getting an independent garage to check it out for you.

+1

Sounds like a second opinion is required (no pun intended).

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 06:56:59 PM »
My 2015 Jazz EX Auto (37,000) has had an intermittant problem for over a year now which started at 24,000 miles. When I leave the house I drive for 3/4 mile downhill to the main road (30mph zone). As it is an auto the brakes are used for most of this descent. Occasionally as I get to the bottom of the hill a loud metalic noise is evident which varies as the speed changes but does not disappear when the brakes are released. Once on the main road the noise disapears within 100yards. It appears to me as though something is heating up and expanding causing metal to metal contact which clears as soon as the brakes start to cool. In April'17 I took the car to my Honda dealer who reported no fault found. Brakes pads and disks were fine, car was serviced at 32,000 again pads etc were fine. Recently at 37,000 miles I reported the noise again to my Honda dealer who again found no fault but recommended a strip down and clean of the rear brakes AND new disks and pads at the front (70% worn pads). As the problem was evident 13,000 miles ago I am not confident that any of the recommended work would resolve the issue. Thoughts welcome!

If brake pads are original 37k is really good going and I would suspect that metallic noise is either the wear indicator (operates at about 1.5mm pad left), or metal pad backing rubbing on disc. Rory found out you cannot trust even a dealer to check things properly and if they only look at outer pad it is more likely to be inner pad (the one the cylinder pushes on ) that wears the most, especially so if caliper slide pins are a bit sticky. Pads will not pull away from discs straight away when you release brake pedal, especially if you have a sticky caliper, so noise may persist for a short distance after pedal released.

Auto and cvt are harder on brakes than manuals because they lack engine braking, so pads may have been low even at 24k.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 07:00:50 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 02:30:33 PM »

Inner pads- those not visible to an inspection without removing wheels - are stuck and brake is worn down to disc..Or nearly and it's teh wear strip making the noise. As a CVT driver and with lots of steep hills, 35k is beyond the limits of my front pads- mine were close to the metal at 31k miles...

And as above, a careful clean and regreasing slides etc when new pads are fitted (if disks are not scored).

My brakes are greatly improved after a careful strip down and grease of all moving parts with new pads..

YOU CANNOT  (repeat) cannot inspect brakes for wear properly without removing wheels...Ideally you neeed two people to check the pads actually move equally and one pad is not stuck..

Garages don't do that  (I could say other words as brakes are safety critical but most motorists are unwilling to pay for inspections)

smunley

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 06:00:33 PM »
Thanks for all the comments. Think I will consult a local independant. It is definately not the ringing from the wear indicator. I've driven the Jazz since 2002 and have heard the wear indicator which is quite subtle compared to what I'm hearing. Will post again if I get the issue resolved.

smunley

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2018, 08:20:38 PM »
I took the advice and had a local independant garage look at the car. The front and rear pads were replaced for the first time at 38,810miles and the noise disappeared. (Problem had been evident since 24,235miles). If I get another 39k out of these pads I'll be pleased!

yorkshiremike

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2018, 10:05:26 PM »
Had the same on mine coming from the front O/S.  I assumed there was excess wear on the inner pad (as outers looked fine).  However, when I took the front wheels off there was more than 6mm left on both inner and outer pads.  However, there was a pronounced (mainly rust) ridge on the circumference of the disc; took this off by spinning the hub/disc against a metal edge (screwdriver) and since then (3k miles) the problem hasn't returned.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2018, 08:57:20 AM »
My son-in-law does that every time he services the brakes on any car he works on. He showed me that trick a long time ago.

Tags: