Author Topic: Get new Jazz with CVT?  (Read 5597 times)

Ralph

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Previously owned a 2018 Jazz EX CVT
Re: Get new Jazz with CVT?
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2018, 08:44:06 PM »
Siri eyes free works with the infotainment system via the steering wheel button (long press on the voice button) imho its better than apple car play as it’s entirely voice control so no fiddling with touchscreen.

The aircon is auto climate controlled so I just set and forget

Cruise control has to be switched on via the steering wheel ‘main’ button first

You have to press the button on the door window switch panel to fold the mirrors

As for the seat material I don’t know how long it will last but on my last mk3 after 2 years and 20000 miles it was still like new

DaveBerks

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: JAZZ Mk4 Crosstar EX
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2018, 11:13:01 PM »
I like the Mk 3 cvt, great for town driving and even cruising on the motorway.
Motorway slip roads and overtaking need planning if you are put off by the sudden raw of the engine when putting your foot down suddenly to speed up.I don't use the paddles.  Best to just put up with that noise occasionally because at other times its so smooth and quiet.
Not having to change gear is a huge bonus and great in stop start traffic. I even like the stop start function as it starts very quickly and surprises the driver behind at traffic lights. The 50 PLUS MPG is miraculous for a petrol non hybrid car. Noise is low as it hardly ever needs to get to 3000 rpm, most of the time it is below or just over the 2000 rpm. Unlike more powerful cars it's dead easy to keep at 20 MPH in a 20 MPH limit. Once you get up to 70 MPH it will happily stay there. Hills are more of a challenge only because it needs more revs like any car and that means more engine noise,  the noise seems out of character because generally it is so quiet and relaxed. On balance that seems a reasonable compromise to me. The real issue is what MPG do you want. The engine is designed to discourage speeding and save fuel. Honda have therefore done a very good job with the 1.3 as most small petrols won't get you much above 40 MPH I reckon. The 1.5 engine has lower MPG (10 MPG less ?) as you would expect from a more sporty drive.

JazzyJJ

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 EX CVT
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2018, 10:39:11 PM »
Brought 2018 Jazz EX CVT today  :o

Should take delivery next week.

I don’t know about you guys but it’s quite a big decision to buy a brand new zero miles cars - first time.

Hopefully long happy reliable ownership.  :D
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 10:41:14 PM by JazzyJJ »

csp

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Average 63 mpg
  • My Honda: Platinum White Jazz e:HEV SR 2020
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2018, 05:20:36 AM »
The SE Mk3 CVT is my third new Jazz and the best yet, having only had one automatic car before I have no regrets in switching from manual to auto. Having to keep your foot on the foot break at traffic lights etc to prevent the engine from restarting is a pain though.

Having only done just over 11000 miles since Sept 2015 I have no plans to change the car for a face lifted Mk3 though, not much point when I have a 5 year service plan.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2018, 10:05:36 AM »
The SE Mk3 CVT is my third new Jazz and the best yet, having only had one automatic car before I have no regrets in switching from manual to auto. Having to keep your foot on the foot break at traffic lights etc to prevent the engine from restarting is a pain though.

I agree about the foot on the brake thing. It's the one downside for me. In a manual I'd be handbrake on, feet off pedals, nice and relaxed. With the auto your right leg is tensed and I don't like that. I'd like to be handbrake, neutral and engine to restart on moving into drive. It must be impossible technically because, as far as I know, all autos with stop/start are like this.

Overall, though, glad I made the switch because using a manual was aggravating both my shoulder and ankle problems. Plus, given I do most of my driving in slow heavy traffic it is a lot less stressful.

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2018, 02:32:05 PM »

I don’t know about you guys but it’s quite a big decision to buy a brand new zero miles cars - first time.

Your new car won't show zero miles when you get it.  My last car had done 19 miles on delivery.  this covers things like  driving it out of the factory, on and off the ship (if it is an import), and moving it from the car pound to the dealer.  There is a shared car pound near where I live so I see new cars ever day being moved on garage plates to various dealerships.

CATech

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 67 plate EX CVT
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2018, 02:41:42 PM »
After 2 Manual SE's I spent my pennies on a EX CVT. Wish I'd got the CVT when I was doing 100 miles a day commuting, but now I do (far less) mileage, in and out of Exeter I am so glad I have it.
Its a real pleasure to drive....something that had vanished from my experience.

Go get one!!

I.

JazzyJJ

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2018, 02:52:43 PM »

Your new car won't show zero miles when you get it.  My last car had done 19 miles on delivery.  this covers things like  driving it out of the factory, on and off the ship (if it is an import), and moving it from the car pound to the dealer.  There is a shared car pound near where I live so I see new cars ever day being moved on garage plates to various dealerships.

I know. Just expressing the out the packaging ‘brand newness’. What is the run in period? And what does it entail?

JazzyJJ

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2018, 02:53:28 PM »
After 2 Manual SE's I spent my pennies on a EX CVT. Wish I'd got the CVT when I was doing 100 miles a day commuting, but now I do (far less) mileage, in and out of Exeter I am so glad I have it.
Its a real pleasure to drive....something that had vanished from my experience.

Go get one!!

Arriving next week.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2018, 10:31:58 PM »
I know. Just expressing the out the packaging ‘brand newness’. What is the run in period? And what does it entail?
There are no major constraints as there used to be ("runnning in - please pass" sticker on the back window). However, try to avoid harsh acceleration and braking for the first 1000 miles in order to give everything a chance to bed in.

There's some more guidance in the handbook. It will take longer to read and understand that handbook properly than to drive the 1000 miles!
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

barcam

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Sport Navi CVT 2018
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2018, 08:19:32 AM »
I didn't try the 1.5 because its boy racer looks don't attract me.

Im just wondering whether the CVT is one of those ill just get used to or will I regret the lack of initial power and revving in London traffic.

Ive read reviews by motoring journalist's (all say no power) and on this forum and just thought id get a snap shot of opinion on this forum today.

Try a test drive on a sport. I was going to buy a EX but tried the Sport with 1.5 engine with the extra power and I was sold. Its a lot more relaxing to drive in traffic far less revs with the CVT and good punch off the line for filtering into traffic.. This is the first auto car I have ever owned and I would never go back to a manual box.

Its not really boy racer, no sport badge and from the front and rear it looks like Jazz, most people don't see the body addons. Oh and yes people do let me out at road junctions.

JazzyJJ

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2018, 09:53:49 AM »
I’ve already ordered the 1.3 - after an extended test drive I felt it was fine for me - maybe because I’m used to my 07 jazz. And it’s possible it was a mistake not to at least try the 1.5, the one at dealer was out on loan at the times I asked and I didn’t put the extra effort to go elsewhere to try - because the look didn’t attract me. The performance may have made me overlook the sporty look. Oh well.  I’ll remain ignorant of what I could have had.. happy with my choice. Hopefully after a few months of usage I’ll still be happy.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 12:23:42 PM by JazzyJJ »

barcam

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2018, 11:30:13 AM »
I’ve already ordered the 1.3 - after an extended test drive it I felt it was fine for me - maybe because I’m used to my 07 jazz. And maybe it was a mistake not trying the 1.5, the one at dealer was out on loan at the times I asked and I didn’t put the extra effort to go elsewhere to try. The performance may have made me overlook the sporty look. Oh well.  I’ll remain ignorant of what I could have had.. happy with my choice. Hopefully after a few months of usage I’ll still have happy.

I was already to buy the 1.3 but the dealer said try a road test and see what you think.

I'm sure you will be very happy with the 1.3 CVT,. I'm glad I ignored the Road Test Reviews because I rate the latest Jazz better than the Fiesta. I should know because I part exchanged my three old fiesta. The amazing thing is that the Jazz CVT 1.5 is more economical than my manual Fiesta and is a lot faster if required particularly overtaking on hilly sections of dual carraigeway.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2018, 08:54:37 PM »
I'm sure you will be very happy with the 1.3 CVT,. I'm glad I ignored the Road Test Reviews because I rate the latest Jazz better than the Fiesta. I should know because I part exchanged my three old fiesta. The amazing thing is that the Jazz CVT 1.5 is more economical than my manual Fiesta and is a lot faster if required particularly overtaking on hilly sections of dual carraigeway.
The CVT version of the Jazz Sport is also 4 mpg better than the manual version according to the official fuel economy. Part of that will be due to the ability to adjust the gear ratio to try to keep the engine operating most efficiently but there might be other contraints programmed into the ECU. The data at https://www.carwow.co.uk/honda/jazz/specifications shows that the CVT is slower on the 0-60 mph test than the manual box (selecting S mode on the gear shift might change this - the official testing will have been done in the D mode).
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

barcam

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2018, 08:25:52 AM »
The data at https://www.carwow.co.uk/honda/jazz/specifications shows that the CVT is slower on the 0-60 mph test than the manual box (selecting S mode on the gear shift might change this - the official testing will have been done in the D mode).

I had look at the 0-60 times for the Honda Fit(Jazz) US model and the testers found that using the "S" mode on the CVT improved the 0-60 time by about 0.5 second. Using 2 Step or pumping of the throttle improved things yet again, see this clip on YouTube:-

« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 11:51:12 AM by Barcam »

Tags:

anything