Author Topic: Microphones for hands free  (Read 2757 times)

mcderd

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX Navi CVT
Microphones for hands free
« on: April 19, 2018, 08:29:41 PM »
Does anyone who has an up to date Jazz know if it has a microphone near the driver, most cars have them in the roof lining. It looks like the Jazz has two microphones on the head unit. This seems a bit poor, I have a unit like that in my car now and the microphone in the head unit does not work well.

I have attached a picture.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
Re: Microphones for hands free
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 08:57:57 PM »
I'm not sure where it is but like the Mk2 it produces clear audio for whoever is on the line. I don't use the telephone much when driving but have on a few occasions and no-one has had any problems understanding me.

mcderd

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 09:04:22 PM »
That's good to know, thanks.

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 08:13:01 AM »
Does anyone who has an up to date Jazz know if it has a microphone near the driver, most cars have them in the roof lining. It looks like the Jazz has two microphones on the head unit. This seems a bit poor, I have a unit like that in my car now and the microphone in the head unit does not work well.

That picture you have shown is for a US model.

EU model Jazz have the microphone for the HFT in the roof mounted interior light module.

mcderd

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 06:11:38 PM »
Thanks Steve, that's what I was hoping to hear  :)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 05:49:34 PM »
Just watched a 'mythbusters' TV program about hand held vs hands free phones. They did proper tests on a university driving simulator with eye movement sensors and a satnav in the car and someone phoning them, did it with 30 different drivers.  All 30 drivers tested on hand held  and hands free.  Well results were pretty much identical, on an empty or low traffic highway they all coped fairly well with no drama,  but as soon as they entered traffic or a built up area the fun started. Only 1 driver 'passed' the test (passed because they did not make a major mistake or have a crash).  In both tests about 8 missed the satnav instructions and made a wrong turn,  a lot of the rest either knocked someone off a bike or had a major crash (and only the one that passed had the expected attention rate for driving, the rest were 'inattentive' ) - the eye movement sensors clearly showed the drivers looking at the 'wrong' things when on the phone, and tended to wander across the road. 

Conclusion was,  hands free no better than hand held in the safety area,  it may be more convenient but just as dangerous.  This is not the first study to come to same conclusion.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2018, 06:30:17 PM »
My thoughts exactly.

JazzyJJ

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 EX CVT
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 05:04:21 PM »

In the manual p300 it says the microphone is in the reading lights fixture.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 07:38:07 AM by JazzyJJ »

Tags: