Author Topic: Oil level checks  (Read 2394 times)

Fido

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 48mpg
  • My Honda: 2014 Jazz ES+I-VTEC CVT
Oil level checks
« on: March 23, 2018, 01:13:31 PM »
I don't recall checking the oil on my 2005 Jazz between annual services. I replaced it with a new 2014 Jazz. And carried on as before.
I have bought a 2006 Toyota RAV4 and want to look after it so have suddenly thought that I should act more responsibly and carry out at least monthly oil checks on both cars.
So I have just checked the Jazz - now 10 months since it's last service. It's at max. This means it was either overfilled or hasn't used any since the last oil change.
Now I ask myself. Just how often do I really need to check my oil levels?
The Jazz does 7000 miles a year, the RAV will do around 2500.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: Oil level checks
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 01:27:05 PM »
With most cars you could get away with infrequent checks but I emphasise the word "could" - it's good practice IMO, to do regular checks. You could get an oil leak or something else go wrong and a monthly check - 30 seconds work? - is well worth it.

But I have never had to put any oil in any of the 5 Hondas I've had. Thinking back I didn't put much oil in most of the more modern cars I've had.

Rhysfjf

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Si 2013
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 02:18:31 PM »
With most cars you could get away with infrequent checks but I emphasise the word "could" - it's good practice IMO, to do regular checks. You could get an oil leak or something else go wrong and a monthly check - 30 seconds work? - is well worth it.

But I have never had to put any oil in any of the 5 Hondas I've had. Thinking back I didn't put much oil in most of the more modern cars I've had.

Absolutely spot on.

My CR-Z didn't use oil between services, my Jazz in my ownership hasn't used any oil and even my S2000 hasn't used a drop since servicing last which is amazing as they're notorious for burning a bit of oil.

I would have a guess and say it was filled to the max when service and hasn't consumed any - but like Peteo48 said, this doesn't mean you shouldn't regularly check  :)

geoffchats

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX Navi
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 03:20:42 PM »
I don't recall checking the oil on my 2005 Jazz between annual services. I replaced it with a new 2014 Jazz. And carried on as before.
I have bought a 2006 Toyota RAV4 and want to look after it so have suddenly thought that I should act more responsibly and carry out at least monthly oil checks on both cars.
So I have just checked the Jazz - now 10 months since it's last service. It's at max. This means it was either overfilled or hasn't used any since the last oil change.
Now I ask myself. Just how often do I really need to check my oil levels?
The Jazz does 7000 miles a year, the RAV will do around 2500.
My 2009 Jazz EX ishift is frugal with oil too. I bought it in March 2017 with 50000 on the clock. It now reads 60000 and has had one oil change but apart from that I have added nothing. My uncle has a 2010 2-litre petrol Civic and that uses no oil either. Most cars I've had in my 50+ years of motoring have used around a pint every 1,000 miles...or even more. Must say something for Honda's manufacturing tolerances and overall quality.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

bill ericay

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Civic Sport 1.8 Orchid White
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 07:56:18 PM »
My 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES never used any oil in the 3 years I owned it driving about 6000 a year, and my current Civic 1.8 also uses no oil at all. Honda do make good engines.

Geoffers

• Approved Member
  • Work is the curse of the drinking classes!
  • My Honda: 2016 HR-V SE-Navi Diesel
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 08:18:47 PM »
I've had four Jazzes from new and never put oil in any of them!
Infact, the only topping up I did under the bonnet was to fill up the screen washers!

As I believe Jeremy Clarkson once said, "Honda engines will outlast the Universe!".  8)
Geoff, York, UK.             Now driving an HR-V after 4 Jazzes!

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 08:55:41 PM »
I wonder if @Ozzie is seeing any oil consumption now that his Jazz has passed 1/4 million miles.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 09:13:10 PM »
I wonder if @Ozzie is seeing any oil consumption now that his Jazz has passed 1/4 million miles.
Still not using any oil between services  ;D

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 09:15:03 PM »

My first Civic 1.5 VTEC ( 1996 Rover 400 shape) did 190,000 miles and still did not use a drop of oil.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Fido

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 48mpg
  • My Honda: 2014 Jazz ES+I-VTEC CVT
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2018, 03:44:35 PM »
Glad I posted this thread. I don't feel guilty about not checking regularly any more.But I will keep an eye on it. Just in case ......

guest6489

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2018, 09:17:11 PM »
Mine never uses any oil, but it gets checked regularly.  It's good practise to check the oil in any engine everyday (10 operating hours), but you can get a feel for how much it uses.

My CBR600F gets checked everytime I ride it and my various company vehicles do to, but the work rather hard.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2018, 10:10:46 PM »
Glad I posted this thread. I don't feel guilty about not checking regularly any more.But I will keep an eye on it. Just in case ......

The great thing is you know if you miss a monthly check it's very unlikely to be the end of the world but I'd still schedule a check in the routine. I've just got into the habit of doing the oil and tyres at the start of each month.

Tags: