Author Topic: 4th Service  (Read 2447 times)

edam

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 1.3 SE CVT
4th Service
« on: August 08, 2019, 04:14:09 PM »
My Jazz, CVT, will soon be due for its 4th service but I have only done 2500 miles since the last service.
I  dont have any extended warranty on it
Is it worth getting it done
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 05:08:39 PM by edam »

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
Re: 4th Service
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 04:43:44 PM »
From a chemical point of view, oil composition modifies due to oxigen, water vapour and unburned petrol.
Every lubricant in an opened bottle or in the oil sump is daily exposed to oxigen, so it walks to an expiration date that is common set in not more than 2 years (chemically speaking) and every short trip you make with the car, short as the oil does not warm (less than 15min or 7-8miles) water vapour and unburned fuel will condense in the sump and will remain there, carrying the lubricant to an acid PH and starting the oil parts decomposition. More than the synthetic basis, I mean the anti-foam, the anti-sludge, the detergent, the anti-corrosive and other additives mixed in lubricants.
If your dealer set the Oil Control System to ON, your instrument panel should say how many days miss to the oil change: the count down starts from 360 immediately after the reset, then decreases by days or by hard work condition, where hard condition (as reported in your user manual) are high speed trips but also short trips in low temperature condition. My Jazz, for instance, shows 80 days in the count down even if they should be 230; this because of my  holidays, 4000km in Sicily and in highway at high speed.
So should be better to change your oil as set by the manufacturer, better, oil and other liquids as cooling and brake fluid.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 05:18:22 PM by jazzaro »

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 05:12:32 PM »
Looks like you are in a similar position to me edam although I won't have to think about this until after the next service which has been paid for upfront as part of the deal when I bought the car. I did 2,420 miles last year, I might just get over the 3,000 mark this year but only because we are doing a motoring holiday up in Scotland next month.

I've also got the CVT so this adds £75 (I think?) to every second service as Honda policy is now to change the CVT fluid every 25,000 miles or every 2 years which ever comes soonest.

I do have a slight resentment that, when it comes to servicing costs, my low mileage gives me no benefit whatsoever. I have to have the same work done as the guy who does 12,500 miles in a year.

I do take jazzaro's point though about fluids. Another issue is the fact that my car is driven, a lot of the time, at way below operating temperatures so I'd always want to change the oil on an annual basis. Less convinced about filters and I am not totally convinced about changing the CVT fluid every 2 years either. Happy to be corrected on this.

edam

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 05:12:48 PM »
I have added that it is a CVT

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 05:21:02 PM »
Personally, I would change the engine oil & filter, even if you weren't bothered about the service history being incomplete. Cars which do little mileage, particularly if they only do short journeys or are stood for longer periods, can suffer from a build up of condensation in the engine oil.

Things such as air and fuel filters, and probably gearbox oils, I would leave until the mileage intervals, just do the extra engine oil changes inbetween.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 10:17:56 PM by sparky Paul »

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2019, 05:27:48 PM »

I do take jazzaro's point though about fluids. Another issue is the fact that my car is driven, a lot of the time, at way below operating temperatures so I'd always want to change the oil on an annual basis. Less convinced about filters and I am not totally convinced about changing the CVT fluid every 2 years either. Happy to be corrected on this.
There's no reason for a quicker change of air filters, cabin  and engine. Oil filter is different, it can suffer by sludge due to low temperatures and short trips,  so it's better to change it each time you change the lubricant.
Considering that L13B2 engine needs oil to operate the vtec system (opening the second inlet valve and tuning the inlet camshaft), and a precise operation needs correct oil pressure after the oil filter, it's better to use the original filter part, or another good quality filter.
Gearbox oil should not be influenced by short usage, they suffer high temperatures.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 10:14:19 PM by jazzaro »

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2019, 06:05:40 PM »
My cvar is now 7 years old and 40k miles. Oil and oil filter changed every year.
CVT fluid changed at 25,000 miles - not 2 years but 4, Checked viisually by removing dipstick. Clean as when new.. Will change at 50k miles.. at 9 years.. Gearchange is as it has always been- no noises and imperceptible..

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2019, 06:34:42 PM »
Some dealers offer free roadside assistance for the year following a service, which might be worth having after the warranty has ended.  I think a complete service record is worth having.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2019, 10:10:26 PM »
Some dealers offer free roadside assistance for the year following a service, which might be worth having after the warranty has ended.  I think a complete service record is worth having.

I think that is a very good point if you have a relatively young car and want to get the best price either by selling privately or part ex. As a buyer, I'd be very wary of, say, a 4 year old car with minimal service history.

This becomes less significant the older the car gets I would argue especially if you keep it for a longish period. I'm of an age now where I'm thinking this car might see me out!

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2019, 11:37:01 PM »
after 3rd service the price is £170 for the 12 month service and £275 for 12 months +  which is brake fluid, pollen and air filter, i would prob go for the 12 month one and just change your own air and pollen filters when you feel necessary, that is what i have always done in the past

also the breakdown cover you have to ask for is homestart as well as the handover guy told me
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 11:41:39 PM by monkeydave »

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2019, 10:12:05 AM »
after 3rd service the price is £170 for the 12 month service and £275 for 12 months +  which is brake fluid, pollen and air filter, i would prob go for the 12 month one and just change your own air and pollen filters when you feel necessary, that is what i have always done in the past

also the breakdown cover you have to ask for is homestart as well as the handover guy told me

This post has jogged a memory. Back in the early 2000s we were living in Glossop and the nearest Honda dealership was based in Ashton Under Lyme. It was a smallish family firm with one other branch. Eventually they closed down but they recommended, for low mileage drivers of cars over 3 years old, a regime of 2 successive 12 month services
and the 12+ every 3 years. I suppose after the 3 years warranty period is up there's nothing to stop you doing a similar thing with any dealer.

edam

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2019, 04:09:22 PM »
Im glad I got the CVT oil changed as it feels like Im driving a different car.
Previously I could get stuck in the low revs dead zone unless I gave it a hard kick down.
Now a small touch will increase the revs to get it out of no mans land.
My only concern is that the replacement oil is "Morris CVT Gearbox Oil"

Ralph

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Previously owned a 2018 Jazz EX CVT
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2019, 04:39:41 PM »
I’d be wary of Morris fluid as the application sheet says not suitable for Honda jazz/fit
http://morrislubricants.co.uk/products/b67c0022fc52dbb5ce654e0c90689d2d.pdf

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2019, 05:20:34 PM »
Okay for the 2015 Jazz, according to Morris.

Tags:

anything