Author Topic: Manual transmission fluid never changed, should I?  (Read 2903 times)

JazzyJazz1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 Graphite (2006)
Manual transmission fluid never changed, should I?
« on: September 20, 2021, 04:16:51 PM »
Hello everyone,

Happy to be a Honda owner. I bought a 2006 Jazz mkI Graphite (5-speed manual) just a few days ago and I want to do service it fully. This Jazz has always been serviced at the Honda dealer but they never changed the transmission fluid (oil). Honda advises every 60k km and this car has run 140.000 km! I do not understand why they didnt do it... Now I hear many horror stories where people change their transmission fluid after many km/miles and their clutch is slipping or gearbox is dead as a whole. Should I leave the original oil in or should I change it nevertheless?

The cars runs fine as it is now. Gear changes are OK as well but not very light, I change gear carefully at the moment. Any experiences here? Thanks!

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Re: Manual transmission fluid never changed, should I?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2021, 06:49:20 PM »
Are you sure that the oil has never been changed? When Honda were servicing my CVT gearbox they never filled in the record in the service manual but when this was pointed out to them they showed me the computer record of the oil being drawn from stores and completed the record.

Vic.

JazzyJazz1

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2021, 10:09:34 AM »
Yes I am sure. I called the dealer where it was in service and they said they never did it. It is not a CVT though, its a normal 5 speed manual gearbox. I'm wondering whats the best thing to do here... I would say; get old fluid out and put new fluid it without flushing so the greasy parts stay as they are... Anyone with experience?

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2021, 10:25:22 AM »
That's the danger of the internet - you get to hear all about it when things go wrong. You don't hear about all the times when things go right.

I think a gearbox fluid change would only cause a slipping clutch if you put the wrong fluid in an automatic gearbox. In your manual the gearbox oil doesn't go anywhere near the clutch.  So yes, it's got to be a good thing to change oil that's 15 years old and should have been changed twice already.
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

jim157

• Registered Member
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2021, 10:28:37 AM »
I changed my mine last year, it's a pretty easy job if you're competent at doing simple tasks like engine oil and filter changes.

I would recommend buying genuine honda transmission oil and you'll also need a couple of new alloy washers for the drain and fill plugs. I also mixed some molyslip gearbox protection into the oil, hopefully it might help prolong the life of my output bearing.

bus_ter

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Jazz SE
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2021, 02:46:50 PM »
Changed mine at 90K. I don't have anything in the cars documentation to suggest it had been changed previously.

I bought the proper Honda MTF and I think replacement washer(s).

Make sure can undo the top bolt before undoing the bottom (otherwise good luck putting Oil back on).

The job was quite easy. Didn't notice much difference afterwards. Possibly a little smoother/possibly just placebo!

I doubt I'll ever change it again. The car will rust to death before I hit another 60-90K

MicktheMonster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 jazz 1.3S, 2009 Civic 2.2D SE
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2021, 03:12:10 PM »
Changed my old 2003 manual's oil at about 75k, 15 years old at the time, once the car had been driven for a while it was noticeably more quiet and smoother, I sold it on to a workmate, its now just over 100k and still fine. I used MTF-94 gear oil but you won't go wrong with genuine Honda MTF. I would definitely change it if I were you.

fashionphotography

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2021, 04:03:40 PM »
yes is say its time to change it.. think the capacity is 3 and half litres. if you cant get to the filler which is a pain to get to if its not on a ramp.. i filled mine up through the reversing light switch just on top of the gearbox. just take the air filter box off. a couple of 10 ml nuts and plastic popper. to get to the switch

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2021, 04:57:31 PM »
Capacity is 1.5 litres - the drain and fill holes are on passenger side of engine pretty much right by driveshaft,  you can get to them if car jacked up with wheel off,  be sure to do it on level ground and use axle stand as well as jack. Make sure you can get upper fill plug out before removing the lower drain plug, otherwise you could end up with an empty gearbox and no way to fill it.  The plugs can be hard to move as they will probably have been in since car was new, and drain intervals are 75,000 miles.  I use Castrol syntrans 75/85 but any good quality MTF will be OK. I think they recently change syntrans name to trannsmax long life, but same oil..
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 05:01:29 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2021, 05:04:12 PM »
yes is say its time to change it.. think the capacity is 3 and half litres. if you cant get to the filler which is a pain to get to if its not on a ramp.. i filled mine up through the reversing light switch just on top of the gearbox. just take the air filter box off. a couple of 10 ml nuts and plastic popper. to get to the switch

Hope you didn't put 3.5 litres into the box,  the beauty of the fill plug hole is that it starts to overflow at correct amount of oil ( 1.5 litres ).....
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

JazzyJazz1

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2021, 05:37:31 PM »
Thanks so much for all the insightful answers! Did anyone have gearbox / clutch problems with this car? Or any other things I should know... Mine is running fine, gearbox aswell but a bit stiff... Only thing I find concerning is the noise that it makes from the AC under hood... Looks like the alternator or the belt? AC works perfect by the way, supercold. Not sure if this is much of an issue... Sorry to get off topic but would love to hear about your experiences with this car in general!

fashionphotography

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2021, 06:03:18 PM »
common problems with forward main shaft bearing wear.. whine can be heared in first second and slightly in third
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 07:27:39 AM by fashionphotography »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2021, 09:40:07 PM »
The Jazz manual box is one of the sweetest around, any stiffness may be down to old oil. Most people notice a big improvement in gearchange with decent new oil...

fashionphotography

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2021, 07:29:51 AM »
please remember when the A/C is on the cooling fans will cut in.. could this be the noise your hearing ?

JazzyJazz1

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2021, 10:30:35 AM »
The Jazz manual box is one of the sweetest around, any stiffness may be down to old oil. Most people notice a big improvement in gearchange with decent new oil...

I like hearing that! I purposely try to find a 1.4, post 2005 and a manual non CVT model for that reason. I hope I can drive it for at least 3 to 4 years without major problems and I'd be happy.

Tags:

anything