Author Topic: Immobiliser System  (Read 1119 times)

EdR

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SR Hybrid
Immobiliser System
« on: April 14, 2021, 05:14:44 PM »
I've just bought a Jazz SR - my fifth Jazz but first automatic and first hybrid.  Could someone be kind enough to explain how the immobiliser works.  The manual states that the system prevents a non-registered key from starting the power system.  But you don't use the key to start the engine - only the button.
My wife says - so what's to prevent someone jumping in and driving off while she is taking the shopping into the house while leaving the car unlocked and hatch open to come back for the rest of it.  As I said you can't remove the key as you don't need one.
Or have I missed something?
Any clarity gratefully received.

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
Re: Immobiliser System
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2021, 05:25:28 PM »
As long as the key is not in the car then the power button won’t work. It needs to communicate with the key to be able to start the car. Obviously if the car is left running it could be taken, but the car will warn you if the key leaves the car while the ignition is on and the the doors are closed.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 05:14:53 AM »
Whilst the key needs to be 'in the car' there must be some perimeter when it would still work.

Be interesting to test what that perimeter is. The OP has mentioned collecting shopping from an unlocked car. How close to the car would a key in pocket need to be to allow starting  and driving ?
Let's be careful out there !

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 06:46:22 AM »
To start the car the key needs to be actually in the car. To unlock the car it needs to be within about 1 to 2 metres of the car.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2021, 07:19:42 AM »
Thanks
Let's be careful out there !

Tags: