Author Topic: Space Saver Wheel  (Read 1621 times)

Derkie54

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 1.5i-MMD Jazz SR (Shining Grey)
Space Saver Wheel
« on: May 20, 2020, 04:00:16 PM »
Pleased with my 2019 Jazz, very roomy and easy to drive.
Looked in the boot and it has a compressor and sealant, no spare, no jack or wrench.
Not a problem, but I would rather have a spare so I went out and got a used Jazz space saver, jack & wrench
It fits in the wheel well easily but even though it's a slim 135 stands proud of the floor a bit......I can live with that.
Honda seem to have deleted the tapped hole so no point in buying the clamp to hold it down.
One thing that surpised me was this spare is claimed to be suitable for Jazz cars with 15" & !6" wheels, mine are 15" and the overall tyre diameter of this spare is smaller than my other tyres. The car will sit about 16mm lower on this spare which will be ok for limping back home or to the garage but I wouldn't go far on it.
Do you all rely on the sealant and compresser, is it reliable ?
surely if you have a big enough puncture or tear it must be useless, and can the tyre be repaired or is it scrap with the sealant inside ?
It will be alright in the end, if it's not alright then it's not the end !

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
Re: Space Saver Wheel
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 05:42:34 PM »
You have discovered the hard way that the 2019 boot well has a revised shape which is not designed to hold a spare.  I don't understand your comment about the spacesaver having a reduced overall diameter - I've just measured mine approximately and any difference is too small to worry about.  However, my tyres have covered 40,000 miles and worn down to 3 mm tread, so perhaps 8-10mm smaller overall diameter then when new.  Fortunately, I have never had to use the spacesaver.

Derkie54

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 07:55:07 PM »
Thanks for looking Downsizer  :)
Done a bit more investigating and the space saver spare should apparently be 135/80 15
Mine is 135/70 15 so it looks as if the wheel is ok but the tyre is a bit small.
I'll have to look at changing the tyre when things get back to normal.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2020, 09:10:35 PM »
This is from my Jazz Mk 1 manual.

The spare tyre is smaller than the
regular tyre, reducing your
vehicle’s ground clearance. Such
things as road debris and parking
speed bumps could possibly
damage the underside of your
vehicle.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 10:10:31 AM »
Thanks for looking Downsizer  :)
Done a bit more investigating and the space saver spare should apparently be 135/80 15
Mine is 135/70 15 so it looks as if the wheel is ok but the tyre is a bit small.
I'll have to look at changing the tyre when things get back to normal.
Yes, my spacesaver is 135/80 x 15.  I had thought the overall wheel and tyre diameter has been the same on all models of Jazz.  However after further checking on this forum, I think the Mk 1 Jazz had a smaller overall diameter wheel and tyre combination, which would explain the reduced size of your spacesaver.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 10:16:59 AM by Downsizer »

Derkie54

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 12:31:59 PM »
Interesting Jocko that the early ones left the factory with a smaller spare as standard.

I might cut out my foam boot insert that holds the compressor to take my spare then it won't move around in the boot well, has anyone done this or found another solution ?

Even with a slightly smaller tyre it won't sit as low as a puncture on a run flat tyre like the ones fitted to a Mini.
Good enough to limp home and when the opportunity arises I'll get a 135/80 15 Tyre.

You learn something every day.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 06:33:59 PM »
Find an old, preferably hi-hiz, jacket, some old gloves and some rags to pack around the outside edge of the spare wheel. That's what holds the spare in place in my HR-V (the 2016 MY version lacked a hole for a fixing bolt but it was added for later production). I also recommend a suitably sized socket wrench with a long handle as it's likely that the tool provided with the vehicle won't let you provide enough torque to turn the wheel nuts. A rectangular wooden block for chocking one of the wheels on the other side would be another useful piece of packing although engine in gear and handbrake on should stop wheels from turning.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2020, 10:05:21 AM »
https://www.screwfix.com/p/laser-telescopic-wheel-brace-500mm/13244

Get one of these from Screwfix or online, use the long length to undo stubborn nuts and the short length to re-tighten the nuts ( you can over torque  the nuts if you use long length - IIRC torque is about 110Nm and a newton is about 0.1 KG so 110 newtons about 11KG at 1 metre or 22kg at 500mm - so if you really push down on the longer length = about 600mm you can easily exceed 20kg force ).  Wheel nuts have a fine pitch thread ( metric fine or UNF ) so for a given torque you get more clamping force than coarse thread and less likely to vibrate loose.    If you have a smear of copper grease on threads you need to de-rate the torque by about 20% as well.   With the more modern chrome 'acorn' style nuts used on alloys for cosmetic reasons  ( with a closed top end ) water can no longer get into the threads so corroded threads are much more rare now than they used to be - thank goodness - but the extended wrench with the 1/2" drive flippable 17 / 19 mm single hex socket easily deals with stubborn nuts.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 10:11:07 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2020, 02:32:02 PM »

Get one of these from Screwfix or online, use the long length to undo stubborn nuts and the short length to re-tighten the nuts ( you can over torque  the nuts if you use long length - IIRC torque is about 110Nm and a newton is about 0.1 KG so 110 newtons about 11KG at 1 metre or 22kg at 500mm - so if you really push down on the longer length = about 600mm you can easily exceed 20kg force ).  Wheel nuts have a fine pitch thread ( metric fine or UNF ) so for a given torque you get more clamping force than coarse thread and less likely to vibrate loose.    If you have a smear of copper grease on threads you need to de-rate the torque by about 20% as well.   With the more modern chrome 'acorn' style nuts used on alloys for cosmetic reasons  ( with a closed top end ) water can no longer get into the threads so corroded threads are much more rare now than they used to be - thank goodness - but the extended wrench with the 1/2" drive flippable 17 / 19 mm single hex socket easily deals with stubborn nuts.

I have one of those.
Excellent.

plasma

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 mark 4
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2020, 03:52:51 PM »

Very good post.

Plasma

Tags: