Author Topic: Michelin Energy Savers  (Read 3429 times)

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
Michelin Energy Savers
« on: January 05, 2021, 05:56:20 PM »
After nearly 5 years and 44,000 miles I decided to replace the original Michelin ES front tyres, although there’s still at least 3 mm left.  I found that they are no longer available in the size (185/60 R15), so I’ve bought Michelin Primacy 4 instead at £72 each.  I hope they’re as good!

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
Re: Michelin Energy Savers
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 06:25:47 PM »
oh crap thats not good they are amazing tyres

just checked ats website and its all they got, hope you do well with your tyres and let us know how you are getting on with them  :)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 06:36:13 PM by monkeydave »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 06:34:35 PM »
After nearly 5 years and 44,000 miles I decided to replace the original Michelin ES front tyres, although there’s still at least 3 mm left.  I found that they are no longer available in the size (185/60 R15), so I’ve bought Michelin Primacy 4 instead at £72 each.  I hope they’re as good!

I always found Michelin ES gave good mileage ( which used to be important to me due to long commutes and generally high annual mileage ) but found they lacked grip, when pulling away traction control would be woken up and ABS during braking.  Now got Avons - they may not give long miles  ( but hardly required now I do a fraction of miles I used to cover ) but the grip is definitely much better, ABS hardly ever kicks in even when practicing hard braking on wet roads..... and they are quiet.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 06:36:22 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2021, 09:21:14 PM »
Yes - even with no engineering knowledge there does seem to be an obvious trade off between economy and grip. The Dunlop SP2030s are almost comically soft. I got down to 3 mm on the fronts on my last Mk2 after 12,000 miles but the Michelin Energy Savers on my next car had 6mm after 20,000 miles.

I feel that the SP2030s give a more compliant ride and have more grip - I think I prefer them and with my low mileage the excessive wear is not significant. Go back to when I was doing 12,000 plus miles a year and replacing the fronts very 12 months would soon pee me off.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 08:26:53 AM »
I had the Primacy tyres on my HR-V. They give a fairly firm ride but wear was OK. When they needed replacing I shod the vehicle with the CrossClimates which improved the ride quality and offered more winter grip albeit with a fractional reduction in fuel economy.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2021, 08:44:55 AM »
I've not noticed the difference in grip between Michelin and some other brand summer tyres. But maybe I just adjust to the grip available. I do notice the difference in stability and noise. And of course the wear resistance of Michelins have been noticed and appreciated.

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2021, 12:41:29 PM »
Yes - even with no engineering knowledge there does seem to be an obvious trade off between economy and grip. The Dunlop SP2030s are almost comically soft. I got down to 3 mm on the fronts on my last Mk2 after 12,000 miles but the Michelin Energy Savers on my next car had 6mm after 20,000 miles.

I feel that the SP2030s give a more compliant ride and have more grip - I think I prefer them and with my low mileage the excessive wear is not significant. Go back to when I was doing 12,000 plus miles a year and replacing the fronts very 12 months would soon pee me off.

Those attributes of the SP2030's made them great in the 2009 and 10 winters - never had a moments trouble.

I think we got around 16K from the set with rotating them.  I then got a set of 15" wheels and put full winter Michelin Alpin's on and run them year round.  Get around 30K per set.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2021, 01:05:42 PM »
I had Michelin tyres on a car several years back. I found they lacked grip, were a bit noisy, and lasted forever. I have never used Michelin since. Their new tyres may be a lot better, but once bitten..............

Redstart

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk3
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2021, 04:39:13 PM »
I have a 68 Jazz. The tyres michelin energy savers are ok but perhaps loud. Anyone have any experience with other decent tyres?
I'm looking for quietish ones. Crossclimates? Anyone with experience of these? Costco doing a deal on them.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2021, 04:48:25 PM »
I think you will struggle to find cross climate tyres that are quiet. I have had to be out and about today on ice and snow and my Nokian Weatherproof All Season tyres have been fantastic. But they are noisy and cost about 2-3mpg. This must surely be down to the tread pattern and all the snow catching sipes I imagine. Can’t recommend them enough.

For clarity, these are on my 4x4 hybrid RAV4. My son is driving the Jazz at the moment on el cheapo tyres and nothing much has stopped him on our hills in this current cold snow/ice weather other than stationary traffic! Jazz Mk1 1.4DSi. I had a set of 4 full winter tyres on my Mk2 Jazz and the only thing it shirked at was snow which was too deep, although with a plough on the front I think it would have been unstoppable!

Redstart

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk3
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2021, 05:17:14 PM »
Crossclimate plus I should have said.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2021, 05:48:01 PM »
I have a 68 Jazz. The tyres michelin energy savers are ok but perhaps loud. Anyone have any experience with other decent tyres?
I'm looking for quietish ones. Crossclimates? Anyone with experience of these? Costco doing a deal on them.

I switched n 2018 from michelin Energy to Michelin Cross Climate.
One third worn after 18k miles.

Only noisy on (rare) small continuous ridged surfaces (once only).
Handling in dry ? Good.

In recent sno and mud? Excellent.

The Energy Savers were scary in snow - like driving on tiptoes with not a lot of grip.
With Cross Climates, they feel very poised on snow  (and mud).

I do beekeeping every fortnight along 200 meter rutted track alongside side of a hill.The other beekeeper with a BMW X5 4x4 (with summer tyres) refused to drive along teh icy track. The Jazz got along with ease. Parked facing up a frosty slope. No issues at all getting out - Traction control engaged only once.

Expensive but highly recommended.

Lose 0.5mpg on fuel - measured over years.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2021, 05:53:04 PM »
Good to know.

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2021, 06:19:41 PM »

I was given a set of Maxxis AP3 all seasons as a brand influencer on my Ibiza, using the previous model AP2 on the Jazz currently. I found them pretty quiet or no worst compared to the Goodyear Vector, Michelin CrossClimate and Nexen N'Priz 4S. Most of all, the ride/comfort seems to be it's best features as well as being good value and warranty coverage.

However I couldn't find any label information so I will ask Maxxis UK is they have any info to help us determine on how good the AP3 are.

cornishpasty

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 ES 1.4iVTEC
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2021, 08:21:25 PM »
I fitted Cross Cimate + about 2 years ago. All round. Initially they felt horrible compared to the Mich energy savers.The compound is different and much more pliable on the sidewalls and the load rating seemed too high for a small car. Soon after, driving around Plymouth, got lost in a heavy rainstorm, I nearly went accross a give way, couldn't see any lines in the rain. I saw a car coming to my left almost too late, and braked hard. The ABS didn't cut in. The car just stopped dead. These tyres saved me from a T bone , and I would have been at fault. Now at 12000 miles and about a third worn on the front. I would say they are quiet, the ride is really good and great over pot holes and speed bumps. They do take some bedding in , but I wouldn't buy anything else now.

Tags: