Author Topic: 2018 Jazz infotainment system another question  (Read 19341 times)

JohnK3

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz
2018 Jazz infotainment system another question
« on: December 17, 2023, 04:31:56 PM »
Is it possible to connect my android phone to the screen with a usb cable or a hdmi cable to view Google maps? If so how do I set it up?

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
2018 Jazz infotainment system another question
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2023, 05:04:01 PM »
Is it possible to connect my android phone to the screen with a usb cable or a hdmi cable to view Google maps? If so how do I set it up?
I don’t believe that to be the case, you can display the maps on your phone & receive directions on the car speakers via Bluetooth.

The GK infotainment system is very poor IMHO, I replaced mine with an Alpine wireless CarPlay unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
Re: 2018 Jazz infotainment system another question
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2023, 05:10:10 PM »
Connecting via Hdmi usually disables the screen unless in park.

May or may not be the case here.

pebbles

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 sport
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2023, 05:40:09 PM »
bit of a mystery the HDMI port, nothing in the manual.

It was discussed a while back , conclusion being it's no use unless parked up to watch a video albeit in low res.

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=8570.0

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2023, 10:03:16 PM »

The service built into the unit to enable that is called Mirrorlink, it's a precursor to Carplay and Android Auto (although not really related to either of those). Unfortunately it was obsolete even before the car was available in the UK. It was discussed in various posts a few years ago (search the forum for Mirrorlink), the best guess was that the version installed in the car was not compatible with the version installed on phones. You might be lucky if you have a very old phone, with very specific software, but in general ... no chance.

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2023, 08:04:41 AM »
I have understood, that there are gadgets, which enable using hdmi video connection also when the car is moving.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2023, 08:21:46 AM »
Illegal in the UK AFAIK
Let's be careful out there !

TnTkr

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2023, 12:24:33 PM »
OK, then let's not continue about that solution. Here the technical solution is not forbidden, but a driver must not be distracted.

JohnK3

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2023, 01:15:48 PM »
Thanks for all your replies. Ukjim,does your alpine screen directly replace the Honda screen?

ColinB

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2023, 04:43:37 PM »
... Ukjim,does your alpine screen directly replace the Honda screen?

You need to be clear what you want. From previous comments on this topic, there are replacement units that are compatible (ie that will fit and work), but they may not integrate with the car. So they may not provide the same display of car functions such as parking sensors and the detailed MPG screen (Current Drive, History of Trip A, etc). I think I even recall someone saying they couldn't adjust the car's clock display (can't remember if that was resolved?). So you need to be clear that the benefits of any replacement head unit outweigh the loss of the other functionality (noting that some of it appears on the right-hand multi-function display as well as on the big screen).

UKjim

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2023, 05:13:19 PM »
Thanks for all your replies. Ukjim,does your alpine screen directly replace the Honda screen?
Yes it replaces the complete unit

UKjim

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2023, 05:15:41 PM »
... Ukjim,does your alpine screen directly replace the Honda screen?

You need to be clear what you want. From previous comments on this topic, there are replacement units that are compatible (ie that will fit and work), but they may not integrate with the car. So they may not provide the same display of car functions such as parking sensors and the detailed MPG screen (Current Drive, History of Trip A, etc). I think I even recall someone saying they couldn't adjust the car's clock display (can't remember if that was resolved?). So you need to be clear that the benefits of any replacement head unit outweigh the loss of the other functionality (noting that some of it appears on the right-hand multi-function display as well as on the big screen).
Obviously you lose the central display integration but everything AFAIK is replicated in the RH instrument display and yes you can adjust the clock without any problem 

ColinB

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2023, 10:12:39 PM »
... everything AFAIK is replicated in the RH instrument display ...

Not so. For example, the RH display only gives bare bones mpg. You need the big display to see instantaneous mpg, the history of Trip A, and the mpg for the current and previous drive. Those are quite useful for anyone interested in efficient driving. There may be other things that only display on the big screen. As I said, anyone replacing the head unit needs to be aware of what they are losing.

TnTkr

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2023, 06:02:06 AM »
Not so. For example, the RH display only gives bare bones mpg. You need the big display to see instantaneous mpg, the history of Trip A, and the mpg for the current and previous drive.

Now that's interesting. How do you find this information frim the center display?

TnTkr

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2023, 12:55:00 PM »
Connecting via Hdmi usually disables the screen unless in park.

May or may not be the case here.

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=9167.msg48646#msg48646

Tags: