Author Topic: Jump Starting Mk3 Jazz - problem with connectors  (Read 1615 times)

DavidAstley

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk3
Jump Starting Mk3 Jazz - problem with connectors
« on: November 15, 2023, 06:04:27 PM »
Problems attaching charging clips to positive battery terminal.

I don't know if I'm being completely thick but when trying to jump start the battery I cannot get a decent clip to connect to the positive terminal on the battery.  The terminal seems really difficult to attach to.

Has anyone had a similar experience and if so were able to find a solution, I don't mind buying a battery charging kit but want to get one that fits!

Thanks

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
Re: Jump Starting Mk3 Jazz - problem with connectors
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2023, 10:09:50 AM »
If you regularly attach a battery charger to maintain the battery   its best to find a smart charger  that comes with the option of using ring terminals rather than just clips.   

You leave the leads permanently attached. A simple job you only need do once.   The positive ring terminal  is typically fitted like a washer to the nut and bolt that tightens the battery terminal    Its recommended that the negative is attached in a similar way  to a good earth away from the battery.
The leads terminate in a unique plug connector. You simply plug in the charger to this socket  - which could be located in a position that you dont need to lift the bonnet each time.

If you mean using high amp jump leads from another car  good quality clamps should be able to fit somehow, even if it means clamping just to the terminal tightening bolt rather than spanning the whole  terminal.    If all else fails you can buy a variety of of  battery terminal adapters which may help. 
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2023, 11:01:14 AM »
Apologies for teaching grandmother to suck eggs but the red plastic shield on the positive terminal folds back

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2023, 11:02:06 AM »
When jump starting, always ensure the keys are not in the ignition until all 4 connections are made

Not all models, but some have been known to wipe the keys transponder
Let's be careful out there !

DavidAstley

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk3
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2023, 12:18:45 PM »
Thanks everyone. 

I knew about the red cover, it's just when it folds back it doesn't give you much room to attach a clip to. 

I have some jump leads but they just kept falling off.

@LordVoltermore from what you said, can I attach the lead for the positive battery terminal to the bolt nearest the red cover?  I have attached an image, where the yellow arrow is pointing to roughly where the bolt is.

It might just the cables are heavy duty ones where the clip is too large and the end of the leads.

Tags:

anything