Author Topic: How do you drive your Jazz?  (Read 1660 times)

FordPrefect8

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2012 EX 1.4 Manual Red
How do you drive your Jazz?
« on: March 27, 2020, 02:40:04 PM »
I play 'turn on the ECO light on' game most of the time but on occasion I do like to step on it or take slip corner in more spirited way, results in 48ish mpgs and a lot of fun. How do you folks drive them? Any Jazz veteran's pro tips?  :)

coffeecup

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 i vtec i-shift
Re: How do you drive your Jazz?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 03:16:23 PM »
I prefare 'gang rap' on the sterio, then floor the throttle at 5 thousand rpm, screaming the arse off it as it won't go under 4 thousand. I also have the seat as low as possible so just half my head is showing (chav style)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 03:21:10 PM »
Stick the dashboard display on Instantaneous mpg and glean as much from that. Brisk acceleration and get into as high a gear as you can as soon as possible. Liftoff instead of braking where you can. Make as much use of Deceleration Fuel Cut Off as possible. I charge around corners to avoid giving up speed. About 53-55 mph is the sweet spot for my Jazz. The figure beside my avatar is my average mpg since buying the car, recorded and checked by https://www.spritmonitor.de/en (there is an English page as well.

FordPrefect8

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 03:29:08 PM »
Stick the dashboard display on Instantaneous mpg and glean as much from that. Brisk acceleration and get into as high a gear as you can as soon as possible. Liftoff instead of braking where you can. Make as much use of Deceleration Fuel Cut Off as possible. I charge around corners to avoid giving up speed. About 53-55 mph is the sweet spot for my Jazz. The figure beside my avatar is my average mpg since buying the car, recorded and checked by https://www.spritmonitor.de/en (there is an English page as well.

Oooh, so DFCO is why the instant mpg gauge goes unrealistically high at times, I wondered how ECU was making that conclusion :D

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 04:38:33 PM »
I posted a video driving home along a local country road where I recorded 108 mpg end to end. I have a ScanGauge E connected to my OBD 2 port.

coffeecup

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 i vtec i-shift
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2020, 09:09:09 PM »
Oh dear, i fell asleep watching that, there's no pockets in a shroud!!!!

FordPrefect8

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 06:59:55 PM »
I posted a video driving home along a local country road where I recorded 108 mpg end to end. I have a ScanGauge E connected to my OBD 2 port.

It would be interesting to see actual ECU mpg values, seems like dash display is not showing complete story.
Funny enough I’ve installed a NextBase 522GW + Rear View over this weekend, routing rear cam cable is a nightmare deserving separate story :)

FordPrefect8

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 07:16:31 PM »
I prefare 'gang rap' on the sterio, then floor the throttle at 5 thousand rpm, screaming the arse off it as it won't go under 4 thousand. I also have the seat as low as possible so just half my head is showing (chav style)

I thought you need a Fiesta for that  :D

guest8810

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2020, 09:07:11 AM »
Very carefully, to avoid the BMWs  who are intent on overtaking everywhere. idiots.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2020, 09:26:59 AM »

It would be interesting to see actual ECU mpg values, seems like dash display is not showing complete story.

If you want to have a play, you could buy a cheap bluetooth OBD dongle off ebay for a few quid, connect it to an android phone and use one of the many apps available to display fuel use and mpg.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2020, 01:19:08 PM »
Have just ordered a Proscam OBD scanner via E-bay.
Is it permissible to leave it permanently connected to the OBD port?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2020, 02:27:27 PM »
My ScanGauge E is connected constantly.

FordPrefect8

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2020, 08:56:43 PM »
Have just ordered a Proscam OBD scanner via E-bay.
Is it permissible to leave it permanently connected to the OBD port?

As far as I can tell, that port is wired in at all times so it may drain your battery. However car electronics are fairly new to me so maybe someone with more expertise can confirm.

FordPrefect8

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2020, 08:59:16 PM »
My ScanGauge E is connected constantly.

That is a great idea, need this immediately, isn’t the port live all the time? Do you get any battery drain?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2020, 09:51:20 PM »
Turn the ignition off and the unit goes off after a short delay. Sometimes it switches on when I unlock the car but most times it doesn't restart until I turn the ignition on. If it is off and you press any of the buttons it switches back on.
I have no idea how much current it draws but I have never had any battery issues. It has been fitted to the car now for almost 3 years. It has paid for itself hand over fist.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ScanGaugeE-Ultra-Compact-Automotive-Computer/dp/B004SK5I46/ref=sr_1_2?crid=18L2ZBG7VZ4FI&keywords=scangauge&qid=1585687806&sprefix=scangauge%2Caps%2C197&sr=8-2

Tags: