Author Topic: Children Returning to School  (Read 2638 times)

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: Children Returning to School
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2021, 03:31:51 PM »
Sounds far more sensible than our lot pushing out what could be false promises.

If the hairdressers date is pushed out though I won't need them as I'll need to hire a hedge trimmer.

Let's be careful out there !

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2021, 06:50:16 PM »
I've just sat watching the BBC News, they're saying that all schoolchildren will be returning on the 8th March, and that they will all be tested, blah blah blah.

At the same time, the phone pings - it's a message from school saying that it will be logistically impossible for them to test all the kids, and that there will be a staggered return.

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2021, 07:49:49 PM »
I've just sat watching the BBC News, they're saying that all schoolchildren will be returning on the 8th March, and that they will all be tested, blah blah blah.

At the same time, the phone pings - it's a message from school saying that it will be logistically impossible for them to test all the kids, and that there will be a staggered return.
The government wouldn't be making promises they can't keep would they.
The teachers don't seem to think much of the idea.
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2021/feb/23/impending-doom-teachers-dread-the-big-bang-reopening-of-schools-in-england

I've just watched the BBC news on the releasing of restrictions in Scotland and it was being interpreted as a list of dates (despite NS refusing to commit to dates beyond April) and Ruth Davidson's question accusing Nicola Sturgeon of not providing a complete roadmap for release of restrictions.
(See previous post.#14 I've replaced the live iplayer link wth one to archived iplayer)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 05:34:21 PM by JimSh »

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2021, 12:01:00 PM »

"Irreversible hasn't lasted long."
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/feb/24/england-secondary-schools-returns-staggered-over-two-weeks-williamson-says

"When I use a word,’ Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, ‘it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.’
’The question is,’ said Alice, ‘whether you can make words mean so many different things.’.
’The question is,’ said Humpty Dumpty, ‘which is to be master — that’s all.”
Lewis Carroll
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 12:03:07 PM by JimSh »

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2021, 10:50:59 AM »
If the hairdressers date is pushed out though I won't need them as I'll need to hire a hedge trimmer.

I was fortunate to get my usual grade 6 on top and 4 on the back and sides ten days before lockdown #1. Still ended up looking like White Goodman by the time the barbers reopened in July.  :D

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2021, 08:46:03 PM »
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 08:54:15 PM by JimSh »

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2021, 11:00:18 AM »
Both kids have to be booked in for LF tests this week, for returning next week, booking system opens later today.Dad and my sister have just had letters telling them they now have to shield... sister has been merrily going to work since this all started!

A bit off topic, the next door neighbours who I have moaned about on here for having visitors coming and going, have all got coronavirus.

edit: just modified to make more sense.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 11:14:14 AM by sparky Paul »

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2021, 11:09:35 AM »
Karma - assuming they do shield.

I wonder if their visitors will still arrive
Let's be careful out there !

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2021, 11:23:04 AM »
Karma - assuming they do shield.

I wonder if their visitors will still arrive

It's certainly quieter, but I'm not convinced the visitors will stop. Overheard them chatting to someone passing yesterday, saying how all the death numbers are overblown, and that everything is being counted as covid.

[off topic content removed by Admin]

There's quite a few neighbours around here that I would put firmly in the 'denier' category.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 10:47:12 AM by RichardA »

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2021, 06:19:10 PM »
It's certainly quieter, but I'm not convinced the visitors will stop. Overheard them chatting to someone passing yesterday, saying how all the death numbers are overblown, and that everything is being counted as covid.

There's quite a few neighbours around here that I would put firmly in the 'denier' category.
Our lad, 16, gets his covid test on Monday. Good to know they have this organised and in place.  :D He is looking forward to getting back to school.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 10:47:29 AM by RichardA »

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2021, 07:08:36 PM »
Our two are booked in for tests first thing Friday morning, back to school on Monday.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 10:47:38 AM by RichardA »

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2021, 12:16:18 PM »
Both kids LF tested this morning, no problems.

Just had a message through from school saying that the government's test registration website has crashed, and that there will be no further automatic texts notifying you of the results. The school is now having to manually contact anyone whose test is positive.

Westy36

• Approved Member
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2021, 02:13:01 PM »
Great news on two negative results!  :D How do yours feel about returning to school now?

Jnr goes off for his test on Monday. He is champing at the bit to get back. Realises he struggles to maintain focus at home and wants more teacher support. I understand that, sometimes you just need something explaing again, or perhaps in a different way.

Had video chat parents evening last night. Jnr is doing well, which is great. His teachers however where of the opinion that if they can get back on track now without any more breaks, they should be able to stay on course. Any further lockdowns and they are at a loss what to do.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2021, 02:43:47 PM »
Great news on two negative results!  :D How do yours feel about returning to school now?

Both looking forward to it. The live video remote learning provision over MS Teams has been pretty good to be fair, but it's not the same as face to face learning.

The next problem is going to be exams. Whilst grades will be centre assessed again, they still haven't come up with a plan as to how these are going to be arrived at, and I'm hearing that several 'mini-exams' are being touted as the current solution.

I hope the school doesn't make a complete balls up of it like they did last year. Not only did they cheat my daughter out of the grades they were predicting for her, they actually issued her with completely the wrong results, which she then made her UCAS application for a 2021 university place with. When the certificates finally arrived in January, they didn't match the results sheet... In theory, this would have rendered all of her applications void, but the school had to do some serious mopping up, contacting all of the universities concerned, to explain what they had done.

After the school finally admitted the mistake, they put it down to a 'clerical error'. The first thing the head of year 13/14 and UCAS coordinator said to me when he telephoned was, "It's a mess, isn't it."

Things never seem to work out straightforward, and this year has been a humdinger.

Westy36

• Approved Member
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2021, 03:33:07 PM »
Sounds like a ture Kafkaesque scenario for your daughter, sorry to hear of it. You must have all been pulling your hair out. They work so hard and then have that happen. 'A mess' doesn't really cut it after that stress. But, covid does turn everything on his head.

Jnr estimated grades were pretty close to what they awarded him. I do hope he gets to do his actual A level exams though. If not, he will be leaving and never actualy sat a final.

My lad has had one positive though. Part of his Geography A lever would involve a field trip to Spitalfields. He has been there before, and indeed I have taken him on many lenghty walks round various parts of London, and he's not a fan of crowds. So the field trip being off at the moment, is a bonus for him!  :D

Tags: