Author Topic: Honda departs BTCC  (Read 793 times)

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
Honda departs BTCC
« on: March 19, 2021, 11:21:03 AM »
No more F1 and no more touring cars. Honda seem to be on a money saving exercise.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: Honda departs BTCC
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 12:47:40 PM »
Here's the link so it works properly https://www.touringcartimes.com/2021/03/18/honda-bows-significant-regret/ . It loops back onto itself when embedded in the thread title.

I suspect that Honda is looking to the future with the R&D emphasis on electrics with, perhaps, a touch of hybrid. I'd like to think that their F1 work has enhanced the hybrid system in my Crosstar (I recall that Honda claimed it had) but can understand why a relatively small car manufacturer wants to focus its efforts elsewhere and figure out how to stand out from the mass manufacturers.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

IanG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk4 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2021, 01:28:44 PM »
I guess with the future of ICE in cars rapidly ebbing away, at least in European markets, the benefit and cost of participating in petrol powered motorsports no longer makes sense.
For Honda, the ICE will likely still have a future with their marine, motorcycle, generator and lawnmower businesses, although battery technology may also develop in some of these areas.
Working in the Middle East since 2012, you see a few Teslas and Prius cars but the vast majority of vehicles here are still high displacement, non turbo petrol automatics, such as Toyota Prado V6, LandCruiser (5.7 V8) and Corolla/Camry/Lexus saloon and lots of US SUV. Kia/Hyundai sell in large numbers. Also many dubious Chinese cars, which I doubt would pass European crash and emissions tests.
Nissan/Infiniti sell in reasonable numbers, with Patrol V8 competing against the Landcruiser and Dodge Durango. Alongside the current model Nissan Patrol, they still sell the old model, tricked out for dune bashing.
Range Rovers and Maclaren sell well here and lots of Porsche Panameras and 911 GT3s.
I think the locals take the sports cars on track days at the Grand Prix circuit, hence the disproportionate number of track focussed models. A new lotus showroom has just opened, so they may be hoping for greater sales in region.
VW Group products hardly sell here, apart from Bentley and Lamborghini and the VWs that are sold here tend to be from China.
Toyota spares and servicing are everywhere here and the residuals are strong, locals tend to trust them.

Honda sell Civic and Accord saloon, Honda City small saloon plus the US made Pilot SUV. I have seen a few mk2 and mk3 Jazz but don’t think Jazz is sold here now.

Twin airbags only on many cars, unless you go for full option, with the leather/sunroof etc., which doesn’t go well with the 55-60 degree Summers!

Fuel has doubled in price since I arrived in 2012 but still only £12 to fill from empty.
Standard fuel is 91RON and premium is 95RON.

Will be retuning to live in UK in April and have ordered a Jazz for my return, so looking forward to post lockdown drives in the countryside, seeing green fields, clean air, no sandstorms and oppressive heat/ humidity and relatively civilised, courteous drivers!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 02:27:08 PM by IanG »

Derkie54

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 1.5i-MMD Jazz SR (Shining Grey)
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2021, 06:13:53 PM »
Honda makes more ICE engines than any other company.
It will be alright in the end, if it's not alright then it's not the end !

Tags:

anything