Author Topic: Indicating protocol.  (Read 7490 times)

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Indicating protocol.
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2018, 10:55:04 PM »
I don't indicate right when joining traffic at the top of a sliproad. Unless I am going to travel down the hard shoulder, or along the grass verge, there is nowhere else for me to go but into the carriageway. I was taught that that was a redundant signal, and not required. The only exception I would make is when joining queuing traffic, when I would signal to say "I am coming in in front of you".

Exactly. I would only indicate if the gap I was moving into was a bit tight.

Nor would I indicate after overtaking on a single carriageway. Surely any driver would expect an overtaking car to return to the left lane, and not carry on down the opposite side of the road.

What bugs me are the people who sit there with the indicator on, waiting for someone to let them pull out or change lane. To me, an indicator means 'here I come'...

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2018, 09:10:44 AM »
What bugs me are the people who sit there with the indicator on, waiting for someone to let them pull out or change lane. To me, an indicator means 'here I come'...
Yes, in heavy traffic my indicator is my big stick, to beat my way into the unyielding traffic. Personally, I always let one vehicle in in front of me. If everyone did that there would be no problem. Zip merge as they call it in Australia.

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2018, 09:40:13 AM »
To me, an indicator means 'here I come'...

Using your indicator doesn't give you right of way.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2018, 09:57:32 AM »
So are you saying, you use your indicators to force your way into the traffic, regardless of what traffic is there already?
Not in my opinion good driving practice and an accident waiting to happen, paricularly when trying it on with several HGVs in convoy!!

Certainly I agree with the Ozzie zip merge, one of my friends used to call it ' the high speed meld', very much like those army motorcycle teams that display around the country. When timed properly the joining can be seamless, but it does take a bit of practice, and relies heavily on the actions of the driver already in the lane.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2018, 10:28:05 AM »
So are you saying, you use your indicators to force your way into the traffic, regardless of what traffic is there already?
Not in my opinion good driving practice and an accident waiting to happen, paricularly when trying it on with several HGVs in convoy!!
I am talking about a queue of stationary traffic, when no one wants to let you in. As I have always owned bangers, I just pick a nice shiny, new car, stick my indicator on, and force my nose in. Not good driving, but a necessity in modern day traffic. They always give way. Picked up from my days as a "white van man".

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2018, 11:04:18 AM »
To me, an indicator means 'here I come'...

Using your indicator doesn't give you right of way.

Of course it doesn't, intent and right of way have nothing to do with each other. The highway code says that you should "use them to advise other road users before changing course or direction, stopping or moving off".

What I am saying is that it is a signal of intent, you are warning other road users before making a manoeuvre. You are not asking someone to make way for you, which is how some use them.

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2018, 11:10:30 AM »
The vehicle you have just overtaken may benefit from the signal, just so they know when you are coming back to the left.

When I was a Driving Instructor I was told by the senior examiner in Norwich when discussing signalling that indicating to pull back into the nearside lane after overtaking on a dual carriageway is unnecessary as the normal lane to drive in is the nearside lane the outside lane is for overtaking, anyone you have overtaken should be aware that you are going to return to that lane when it is safe to do so if there is no traffic in it.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2018, 11:52:36 AM »
I have found that courtesy can be contagious,  I always try to let people into traffic (except BMW drivers who will travel at some speed down the outside of queuing traffic, ignoring all the 'lane closed ahead in 400, 200, 100 metres signs' until they arrive at the pinch point and proceed to try and bully their way in,  all this while other sensible drivers have been merging in ahead of time - but you have to understand that BMW drivers do consider that their time is more valuable than anyone elses).

I have often let someone in and watched as they do the same to some other driver further along the road.  I also make a point of moving to centre lane of motorway when approaching junctions to give joining traffic a bit of space.  I have been driven ( no way would I drive) in Cities like Bangkok,  Jakarta and Manila where they make a 3 lane road into a 6 lane one no problem, they are forever tooting their horns,  but not in anger, just to say 'i am here', it all seems so tangled up but seems to work out (except when they have the dreaded 6 hour traffic jams,  drivers in these cities have a wide necked bottle in their car as standard equipment, don't know what the women use LOL )
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2018, 01:23:38 PM »
I have found that courtesy can be contagious,  I always try to let people into traffic (except BMW drivers who will travel at some speed down the outside of queuing traffic, ignoring all the 'lane closed ahead in 400, 200, 100 metres signs' until they arrive at the pinch point and proceed to try and bully their way in,  all this while other sensible drivers have been merging in ahead of time - but you have to understand that BMW drivers do consider that their time is more valuable than anyone elses).
Once I pass the 200 yard marker I do not let anyone in, but there is always some mug who does!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2018, 02:06:37 PM »
Once I pass the 200 yard marker I do not let anyone in, but there is always some mug who does!

I have noticed some lorry drivers actually pull into centre of road at around the 200 metre point to stop the German car Muppets in their tracks. I never let people in after a certain point either, but as you say some mug always will give way.    I am always aware by monitoring rear mirrors if someone is trying it on and will make life difficult as I can,  what is is about German cars that brings out the worst, both in the drivers and other road users?
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2018, 02:39:25 PM »

I have noticed some lorry drivers actually pull into centre of road at around the 200 metre point to stop the German car Muppets in their tracks. I never let people in after a certain point either, but as you say some mug always will give way.    I am always aware by monitoring rear mirrors if someone is trying it on and will make life difficult as I can,  what is is about German cars that brings out the worst, both in the drivers and other road users?

Is there a league table of German cars? Our friends have a particular dislike of Audi drivers. Hadn't really thought of them before but they do drive in a very "entitled" manner (I'm being polite here!)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2018, 04:06:24 PM »

Is there a league table of German cars? Our friends have a particular dislike of Audi drivers. Hadn't really thought of them before but they do drive in a very "entitled" manner (I'm being polite here!)

I would put BMW at the top of my list, followed by Audi, and the Vauxhall Insignia ( a rebadged Opel) and then maybe Mercedes, who normally behave quite well.  VW drivers seem competitive but generally are not badly behaved.  Drivers of jap cars seem more level headed and considerate, maybe because their demographic is older and they are privately owned cars rather than company vehicles.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2018, 11:32:24 AM »
what is is about German cars that brings out the worst, both in the drivers and other road users?

It's not the car that makes them that way. It's the fact that they are that way already that makes them choose the car. It's a club insignia kind of thing. And also relatively recent in motoring terms. Mercedes and BMW were top class marques until the 1990s when they descended into the echelons of rep mobiles. And of course it was aggressive and time poor reps who then set the behaviour standards for BMW, and then later on, Audi.

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2018, 04:00:48 PM »
Merge in turn is in the highway code.

Use both lanes when queuing until the pinch point then zip merge.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2018, 05:08:52 PM »
Merge in turn is in the highway code.

Use both lanes when queuing until the pinch point then zip merge.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

I tried that but there is always some lorry deliberately blocking both lanes or some silly old bugger in a Honda Jazz that refuses to let you in :).

Seriously though, if there is a sign saying "Use both lanes" then I will.  That is usually in place because single file traffic is likely to back up to an obstruction, like a roundabout.

Tags:

anything