Author Topic: Fitting a cone air filter in place of air box (1.4 i-DSI 2007-8 Jazz)  (Read 21426 times)

Twin_Cam_Turbo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Honda Jazz sport
Hi all,
After raising this: http://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=4630.0 I thought I'd go ahead and post up a little how-to guide on putting a cone filter on your 2007-2008 Jazz sport (1.4I-DSI). The purpose of a cone filter (if you didn't know is multi-fold and includes the following:

1) Cheaper in the long run as you just clean the filter, rather than continuously installing discardable ones.
2) Improved throttle response (revs rise slightly quicker)
3) Increased intake 'growl' (for the racer in you...)

Anyways...

Requirements

1 x cone filter - I used a BSR filter with 70mm diameter inlet but the diameter of inlet can be anything you like. I'd advise against reducing it less than the throttle body inlet (around 65mm diameter) for obvious reasons.
1 x breather filter (10mm diameter inlet) to go on the metal tube entering the airbox on the left side. The look like this:

1 x 90 degree silicone elbow. 65mm diameter (throttle body end) to whichever diameter the filter has (70mm in my case)
*If the filter you are using has a rubber body like the one I'm using, you'll need a length of tubing - 100mm maximum - to connect the silicone elbow to the filter. Aluminium is fine, and ensure the ends are rolled (and not sharp). The tighter the fit, the better.
Jubilee clips to suit (60-80mm will suit the throttle body connection. The ones at the other end will need to be tailored to your filter. They must be stainless steel and silicone friendly. I needed 3, if your filter has a metal inlet, then you'll only need 2.

When connected together you should have this:

Instructions

Step 1: Start by removing the airbox. Disconnect the inlet hose into the airbox at the bottom right (it's rubber and simply pops off)

Step 2: You need not remove the filter and inspection cover but I did as it helped me manoeuvre the airbox out once disconnected.

Step 3: You'll require a 5.5mm socket to undo the clip securing the airbox to the throttle body,

Step 4: Now you'll need a 10mm socket to undo the two hex bolts holding the airbox to the car (both found at the leading edge of the airbox on left and right sides.

Step 5: Using a pair of pliers and some patience, release the retaining clip and withdraw the breather hose from the rubber grommet on the left hand side of the airbox. It is a straight tube and will pull out, do not try to remove the rubber grommet. It'll be in there quite tight so you my need to be patient. If this is a permanent move for you and you don't care about the airbox, you can run a knife down the grommet and cut the tube free.

Step 6: Connect the small breather filter

Once you have removed the airbox it is as simple as connecting up the new kit you've put together. You can hardly see the metal tubing in my kit as I almost ran out of space!

I've just run the set up and it sounds a lot gruffer than before. Not immediately mind. At first it sounds like before, then after WOT (wide open throttle) for 1/2 a second the intake sound becomes noticably deeper. And therein is a benefit of 8V engines - the intake growl is often throatier on an 8V than a 16v on account of valve size.
The revs rise quicker too but I doubt there's more power, maybe a couple of bhp if I'm lucky. All in all, I'm pleased with it, and because of the factory set up, there's no worry about MAF sensor relocating or any of that. Just bolt up and go.

Next step is to add a dedicated cold air intake and route cold air flow directly to the filter.

I already had this filter, and I know it's good for 300bhp so it's no sweat on the Jazz. Most aftermarket filters are between 65 and 80mm intake diameter so you should be able to pick and choose what you want to be running.
Total cost of parts was about £20, took 35 minutes to fit and I'm pleased.

tetsky

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2002 nighthawk black 1.4 idsi se
Re: Fitting a cone air filter in place of air box (1.4 i-DSI 2007-8 Jazz)
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 12:23:16 AM »
Looks really good, thanks for the info about the throttle body diameter...makes ordering easy;)

sent from my galaxy note 2 using tapatalk

Twin_Cam_Turbo

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 08:10:19 AM »
No worries mate, glad it's helpful!

guest4082

Hi mate, I love the work you made there! Have been wanting to do the same with mine I-DSI, but I got a 8gen Civic, the engines looks rather the same to me, so I guess I should work, but there is one thing I can't understand, what did you do with the mass air flow meter? I thought the car would not run without it. On the civic the sensor is molded in to the box where the filter is, and the whole airbox unit looks like one piece, so if I remove it, I have no MAF sensor.
Thanks slot for a replay :-)

guest4082

bump

Garyman

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 ES
OP hasnt been on the forum since 26/05/13 but you might be better of dropping him a PM in the hope that that will trigger an automated email to him to log in to answer your question

HTH

Twin_Cam_Turbo

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
Thanks Garyman and thanks Tomatos for the PM. Sorry it's taken a while.

I've been busy getting mad at Koni for making the sh1t springs that caused my Saab to fail it's MOT after only covering 16K miles with them, but hey ho...different rant....

MAF, what's that? Joking, I know what it is. It's on the throttle body I think, certainly not in the intake pipework or airbox.

If you have a Maf sensor then you've got 2 choices.
1 - see if you can get a section of pipe which will accept it (like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-ALUMINIUM-MAF-SENSOR-FITTING-PIPE-INDUCTION-PIPE-FITTING-/171060031823?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27d3f8f14f)

2) cut the section of pipe out of your old intake system and connect it after the air filter (basically make your own one of the above.

basically, it's very do-able, you just have to be creative.

Hope that helps. Probably not too much, but i'd be interested to see a pic of your set-up and how it's different to ours?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 11:14:55 PM by Twin_Cam_Turbo »

guest4082

Hi!
Thanks for answare :)

Seems like the Engine is pretty much the same, but things like AC pipes and the airbox unit ( and maybe more) is rather not very the same.

I took some picture of my engine, just tell me if you don't want them in your thread.

Here you can see the MAF, it a part of the aribox:

If you see in the last picture, one of the 2 copper / brown ish pipes goes in to the airunit, I imagine it could be hard to fit the little filter and be able to fit the bend pipe because of it?

It just seems more hard to manage on the Civic, there a no K&N filter or nothing made for the 1.4 IDSI engine of 8 gen civic, pretty boring.
Maybe I should just get the Remus sport exhaust made for the 1.4. gives even better sound than a filter, but its like 950GB to get it in Norway.

Twin_Cam_Turbo

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
Ah, you're in Norway! Whereabouts? I have parents in Bergen

Anyway - your problem is not so difficult.

Your airbox looks like it's in multiple pieces. I suspect that you could separate the larger "box" from the housing with the maf sensor on it and simply connect the cone filter to the hole that is left.

Or you could do as I outlined above and get the stainless pipe with a MAF sensor 'port' on it.
I'm sure that brownish tube is just a breather tube, same as the one I fitted that small filter to on our Jazz. your only problem is that is will interfere with your intake pipe. In my opinion you will need the following:

1) silicone 90 degree bend to come out of the throttle body.
   Drill a small hole where that tube enters and silicone seal it into the 90 degree bend.
2) Stainless delivery tube with MAF adapter (like http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-ALUMINIUM-MAF-SENSOR-FITTING-PIPE-INDUCTION-PIPE-FITTING-/171065232772?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27d4484d84)
3) Cone air filter. All of identical or very similar intake diameters.

You should be able to get everything from one UK supplier and shipped to Norway. It's better from 1 supplier obviously as it costs a lot to send to Norway.

Good luck and ha' det!

guest4082

Thanks again :)
You are Norwegian your self? Living in UK?

I have used a cone filter for maybe 1H, because I can take the tophalf of the "largerbox" of, but the the bottom where there filter lays is OF COURSE molded all together with everything. So I it looked ugly as **********, and the cone would rip marks in the sound isolating above.

But yeah the last methode should work I guess, I  bet there are some hard too reach screws and stuffs.

Btw where did you get yours 90 bend? the ones I find is only same size both sides and they are much bigger in angel and length.

The car would sure sound better with a cone filter, and I have already put Type R spoiler, Type R rims ,Type R front and back seats and some more R goodies in it, so a little more sporty sound should fit the car perfectly now ;)

Twin_Cam_Turbo

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 11:45:51 PM »
No I'm danish, living in UK. Dad has a job out there at the minute so will probably be there for the next few years - me, I'm happy with 90 NOK buying a crate of 18 beers so I'm staying put here!

My 90 degree bend was from Ebay, but any car accessories shop should be able to help. The throttle body will hopefully be the same in which case, what size is your cone filter outlet?

guest3484

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2013, 09:51:26 PM »
Will a k&n cold air intake for a 2012 Honda fit. 1.5 Fit on a 2012 Honda jazz 1.3??

Tags:

anything