Author Topic: Summer rain.  (Read 976 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Summer rain.
« on: August 13, 2018, 01:42:08 PM »
Over the last 24 hours we have had the first significant rain here for months, and I was out driving in it this morning. The car felt particularly skittish, so much so that on my return, despite the rain, I checked my tyre pressures. The were all spot on. I know that roads are slippy after the first rain for a spell, but they felt exceptionally so today. Perhaps I have just got used to the grip of warm dry tarmac!

Ralph

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Previously owned a 2018 Jazz EX CVT
Re: Summer rain.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 02:04:30 PM »
That gives me bad memories of skating across wet newly laid tarmac on my motorbike  :o

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 06:29:28 PM »
A long spell of dry weather results in accumulation of muck on the road surfaces which tends to be a bit greasy until washed off. I remember driving in a short dose of heavy rain in the middle of summer '76 when I was leaving the M5 south towards the Ross Spur (M50) round a 90 degree bend. The back end of my Austin A35 (prone to oversteer even on dry roads) showed a strong inclination to breakaway so I had to quickly ease off the power to keep it under control - must have been worse than usual to have stuck in my mind for so long!
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Constantis

• Registered Member
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 11:58:39 AM »
A long spell of dry weather results in accumulation of muck on the road surfaces which tends to be a bit greasy until washed off. I found the best VPN here and remember driving in a short dose of heavy rain in the middle of summer '76 when I was leaving the M5 south towards the Ross Spur (M50) round a 90 degree bend. The back end of my Austin A35 (prone to oversteer even on dry roads) showed a strong inclination to breakaway so I had to quickly ease off the power to keep it under control - must have been worse than usual to have stuck in my mind for so long!

Yeah, the roads are very dangerous after dry spells. I haven't had any trouble with those kinds of conditions yet thankfully, knock on wood.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 03:13:00 PM by Constantis »

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 12:05:56 PM »
Constantis. Welcome to the forum. Nice to hear from someone from the other side of the "pond".

Tags: