Author Topic: labour time for replacing spark plugs and 4 coils  (Read 3194 times)

mikephorse

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz SE CVT
labour time for replacing spark plugs and 4 coils
« on: December 13, 2018, 06:06:30 PM »
Just had transmission flush at a cost of £187 which removed the judder I was getting when slowing and pulling away
from traffic lights. After collecting my Jazz auto 2004 from Honda Service it felt much better, yet only minutes later
driving home, a different problem occurred, it began periodically 'missing', something I had never experienced before
prior to having flush done. I rang Honda asking if it was connected to the flush and they replied " you need to replace
your spark plugs and also need 4 Coils replacing"
It made me suspicious but there was nothing I could do in such circumstances. Have been given a quote of £385 , for the repair (not by Honda)---Honda quoted £700 !  The point of my sorry tale is can anyone indicate the labour time involved in replacing these items.

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: labour time for replacing spark plugs and 4 coils
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 06:31:33 PM »
You can get coil packs for as little as a tenner off fleabay ( links on forum, search coil packs or coils on forum ) also plus to be had for less than 3 or 4 quid each ( also links if you search forum for sparplugs or NGK ). Can do it yourself in an hour, that price you were quoted was daylight robbery.....

I would get plugs changed first and see if it runs ok, then changing coils if required is a ten minute job. I think they are having a laugh trying to sell you all four coils, maybe, just maybe one or two duff, but change the plugs first.

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=10359.msg64786#msg64786

If you look at description of ones in link below they are marked as either 'inlet side' ( front ) or 'outlet side' ( rear) (they mean intake side and exhaust side ).
You would have to check if your existing coils have numbers on them.

https://www.onlineautomotive.co.uk/Honda_Jazz_Ignition%20Coils.aspx

Don't know if one's below are front or rear, you could ask seller if they know.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-JAZZ-01-08-1-3-IGNITION-COIL-PENCIL-CM11-109/152693113922?redirect=mobile

Front and rear coils are not interchangeable, but all the front are identical to each other as are the rear coils.

Try Cox motor parts  or Opie oils for spark plugs, IIRC you put your registration number or manually choose your model on both sites.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 07:14:29 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

bus_ter

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Jazz SE
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 05:48:04 PM »
Wow! How can they justify that much money.

I changed all 8 spark plugs on my Jazz. I've never changed spark plugs on any car before. Armed with a couple YouTube videos and the Haynes manual I did the job in about an hour. If I was doing it again it would be 20-30 minutes.

The spark plugs cost a couple £ each off ebay.

The coil parks are I'm sure very each to swap too. Probably only one of them has failed if it's not the plugs.

mikephorse

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 10:48:47 AM »
Thanks for the info, I the best quote I received was £119, maybe I should try fitting myself .

MicktheMonster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 jazz 1.3S, 2009 Civic 2.2D SE
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 04:49:55 PM »
I have to agree, after having servicing and repairs done by garages for 20 odd years I decided to give it a go this year myself, apart from the savings ( about 80 percent) I really enjoyed it, was gutted when I'd fixed and serviced everything I could think of, could do with a scrap car just to fiddle with! Seriously though, took me about an hour too, back ones are fiddly but easily do-able , you have to remove the coils to get to the plugs, so again, very easy, plugs cost £16 for 8 on eBay.

DesmoDan

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2008 jazz se cvt ge38
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2018, 12:29:27 AM »
A scrap car . Just to fiddle with !
Mick . Trust me thats a dark and dangerous path .
DO IT  ;D

Tags: