Author Topic: A CVT champion?  (Read 7497 times)

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
A CVT champion?
« on: March 28, 2017, 07:22:51 PM »
Listen to what this guy has to say about the various types of gearboxes, CVT in particular.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 01:58:02 PM by RichardA »

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
Re: A CVT champion?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 10:31:46 AM »
A great little video that. I fully support most of his arguments. My only question is over his claimed cost of a CVT oil change. He claims a bizarre $200 a litre. This site says £48 for 4 litres.

And from our very own site.

So basically it seems that CVT is the perfect transmission and bullet proof unless the driver deliberately does something stupid and pointless (rev the engine in 'N', select 'D').

Oh and nobody likes a knob holder :)

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 12:57:16 PM »
I'm glad he mentioned about F1.
I was reading an article about CVT in motorbikes and they mentioned about Williams having a CVT version of their winning car and they sent David Coulthard out on the track to try it out.
Apparently he knocked 3 seconds from the lap time of the conventional car and the F1 rulemakers instantly banned the boxes.
I wonder how CVT would be viewed today if F1 were using them.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 02:21:09 PM »
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 02:25:26 PM by andruec »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 02:50:35 PM »
A great little video that. I fully support most of his arguments. My only question is over his claimed cost of a CVT oil change. He claims a bizarre $200 a litre. This site says £48 for 4 litres.

Everything in Australia seems to be expensive these days,  when we lived there most things cheaper than UK but we have had friends living there complaining how prices have risen dramatically in last 10 years.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 03:47:04 PM »
The video refers to the high cost of a cvt fluid change.  I'm not sure what the recommended change interval is now for the Mk3 cvt, but my 5 year service package cost £550 and is good for up to 62,500 miles. Does this include a fluid change?

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 08:58:05 PM »
The video refers to the high cost of a cvt fluid change.  I'm not sure what the recommended change interval is now for the Mk3 cvt, but my 5 year service package cost £550 and is good for up to 62,500 miles. Does this include a fluid change?
It should include two: every 2 years / 25000 miles.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 12:58:16 PM »
Really interesting video. He makes a good point about confirmation bias amongst motoring journalists. They are looking for things to criticise.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2017, 02:44:12 PM »
I have been convinced for a long time that the CVT is some kind of black magic as far as motoring journalists are concerned. They haven't bothered to find out how they work and how to use them.
They have been around for a long time dating back I think to the 15th century with work by Galileo or Da Vinci.
They were worked on by a British car builder/designer Lanchester in the 1930's.
I owned a DAF in the 1970's which featured a CVT, albeit a crude version compared with modern designs.
The new Civic will use a CVT.
Why on earth Honda and others have introduced a false stepped version of the CVT I can't imagine. One of its advantages is that it is stepless.

Vic.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 03:07:15 PM by VicW »

Tags: features videos