Author Topic: New MOT rules from May  (Read 8863 times)

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
New MOT rules from May
« on: May 03, 2018, 09:33:24 PM »
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/mot-changes-20-may-2018

New MOT rules come into force later this month. Be prepared!

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: New MOT rules from May
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 09:05:16 AM »
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/mot-changes-20-may-2018

New MOT rules come into force later this month. Be prepared!

Some new items will be tested during the MOT.

They include checking:

if tyres are obviously underinflated

brake pad warning lights and if brake pads or discs are missing

I am surprised they don't check for tyres, and if pads / discs are missing presently
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 09:13:04 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 11:36:31 AM »
I see the new regulations do not appear to mention anything about the current practice of changing headlights bulbs to LED from filament type.
Was the previous talk, simply gloom and doom?
It's quite obvious that the use of properly designed LEDs as per those highlighted by Culzean and others. are a major improvement and are to be commended, rather than dismissed as dangerous.

guest5079

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 02:42:33 PM »
How will a MOT station test the brake fluid for contamination?  Will it be visual?
As to the other changes all seem pretty straight forward and common sense, a commodity that appears to be getting increasingly in short supply!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My favourite electrician who ran his van for a year without tax, clearly is going to do the same with his MOT. He taxed his Ford van back in March.MOT due April.  His high level brake light has been defunct for 6mths and is still so. His rear tyre is nearly completely flat so the new MOT rules wont apply to him as he just won't get an MOT. Cynical yes off to football very Saturday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 03:45:17 PM »
How will a MOT station test the brake fluid for contamination?  Will it be visual?
As to the other changes all seem pretty straight forward and common sense, a commodity that appears to be getting increasingly in short supply!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My favourite electrician who ran his van for a year without tax, clearly is going to do the same with his MOT. He taxed his Ford van back in March.MOT due April.  His high level brake light has been defunct for 6mths and is still so. His rear tyre is nearly completely flat so the new MOT rules wont apply to him as he just won't get an MOT. Cynical yes off to football very Saturday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apparently they can test the amount of water in fluid with a probe that measures electrical conductivity. They can only test fluid in reservoir so just suck a bit out before MOT  and replace with fresh. They do look at colour as well, the fluid gets darker with age.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2018, 07:31:38 AM »
It's quite obvious that the use of properly designed LEDs as per those highlighted by Culzean and others. are a major improvement and are to be commended, rather than dismissed as dangerous.
No, it’s not obvious at all, in fact the majority of motorists would seem to disagree with you:
https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/motoring-news/new-car-headlights-present-unwanted-safety-risk-to-drivers/
And that’s being said by a respected motoring advocacy organisation ! If the final couple of paragraphs are correct then hopefully the current situation is being reviewed.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2018, 09:39:24 AM »

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2018, 06:14:48 PM »
How many of you have considered this aspect of the new MOT.
https://inews.co.uk/essentials/lifestyle/cars/car-news/new-mot-test-exposes-drivers-garage-rip-offs/

Another good reason to find someone you can trust for MOTs and stick to them.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2018, 07:08:41 PM »
No, it’s not obvious at all, in fact the majority of motorists would seem to disagree with you:
https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/motoring-news/new-car-headlights-present-unwanted-safety-risk-to-drivers/
And that’s being said by a respected motoring advocacy organisation ! If the final couple of paragraphs are correct then hopefully the current situation is being reviewed.

That article is about lights fitted by manufacturers and considered 'legal'  I have   often said that a lot OEM lights,  especially on German cars are way too blue and beams are poorly controlled making them deadly to other traffic.

My aftermarket philips LED are not much brighter than filament bulbs,  but the colour temperature of the lights is much easier on the eye and shows things up better.

Tags: news 

anything