Author Topic: Dash Cam Hard Wire Install - Qashqai  (Read 10255 times)

jonathan

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4SE
Dash Cam Hard Wire Install - Qashqai
« on: May 26, 2016, 10:02:19 AM »
Good Morning,

Just thought ild upload pictures of my electrical talent  :D of hard wiring a dashcam. Here are some pictures.

Has anyone done this to Hondas, or other cars.

It was dead easy and have hidden all the wires around the A Pillar and Headlining.

Jonathan

[attachment deleted by admin]

guest5589

Re: Dash Cam Hard Wire Install - Qashqai
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 11:38:58 AM »
Good stuff.. I hardwired both my dashcam and my satnav supply in my Jazz and now my lighter socket is free. Made a guide on another website which I will try and create a PDF of for ClubJazz.

[attachment deleted by admin]

jonathan

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 12:55:07 PM »
that looks great.....

question if I may.

When you install a dashcam and satnav into the fuse box can you get the power via a single fuse in the fuse box. Is a 10amp fuse ok for both devices?
Whats the best fuse to use? I used the 10amp ignition in the Qashqai...

I intend to use a 12 car double power adaptor dual 2 way splitter to an add a circuit  piggy back fuse.

Thanks  :D :D

guest5589

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 04:12:18 PM »
First thing: I am using lighter socket to tap my piggyback as it turns on and off with the car and if I blow that fuse nothing critical goes down..

I am running a 3A fuse because both my device chargers are rated around 1A so 1A x 12V = 12W consumption (I got help from a friend who calculated things for me but was something similar).. TG might be able to help here..

You want the fuse to blow before the short circuit reaches the car electrics so at 10A the fuse will basically be useless as it will never blow. A 1A fuse for dashcam will be enough and if you want to run 2 devices like me 2A or 3A should be enough.

Make sure the fuse you are tapping into goes in the bottom of the fuse tap and the device fuse is on top.

I did a guide on dual port wiring here: http://hondakarma.com/guides/hardwiring-dashcam-satnav-for-less-than-%C2%A310-with-diy-kit.1604/

jonathan

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 04:36:22 PM »
Thanks for the advice.

On your link it shows you used a 15amp fuse. What fuses did you replace it with? (its a orange fuse in your photos)

Thanks again

Jonathan

guest5589

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 05:15:59 PM »
The 15A fuse is for the lighter itself. The orange one was 5A which i got with the piggyback but I later bought a 3A one and have been using that.

jonathan

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2016, 10:26:49 PM »
Ah of course, just didn't think of that. Will replace 10amp with 3amp fuse.

Thanks again, great write up..... My father has asked me to do this to his 3 series and my brother to his Kia..... Keeps the wires very tidy and looks v professional.

Beaver

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016, 06:19:56 PM »
Desperately dull, I know, but what has your insurance company said about the vehicle mod?

(i.e. "No problem" - "Amended your premium")

jonathan

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2016, 05:06:42 PM »
Personally I don't see it as a modification. Please anyone correct me if I'm wrong. Have not told my company car insurance company

Jonathan

guest6185

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2016, 11:42:49 PM »
Good stuff.  I did something similar, I cut my ciggie plug off and put a USB plug on, plugging the Dashcam into the USB port instead.   :)  This is possible to do because my (and most but not all) Dashcam is 5V so cannot be wired directly to the cars 12V fusebox without the plug which contains the 12V to 5V supply reduction.  Of course, another way to do it could be to take the little circuit board out of the plug and wire that to the 12V system, eliminating the need for the plug and socket in the fusebox area.

jonathan

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2016, 09:11:11 AM »
Like the idea, however still feel that using a piggy back fuse is neater and tidier and requires less cutting of wires.

J

guest5589

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2016, 11:04:50 AM »
Desperately dull, I know, but what has your insurance company said about the vehicle mod?

(i.e. "No problem" - "Amended your premium")

Depends on your policy actually. Certain policies want to know additional equipment permanently installed into the car, that you will have to declare, these will be covered. Although this method says its hardwired, nothing is permanent and can be removed instantly as in reality its just hiding the wires.

If you look at the link I posted you will see there was no modification of car's wiring in anyway and all wires are removable. + I always remove my dashcam and sat nav while exiting the car so my install (in my opinion) is temporary and is not covered for loss anyway. Now if you install an aftermarket stereo that is full view that is a mod for sure, this is just hidden wiring for temporary devices.

Not to say its not worth speaking to your insurance about it.

jonathan

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2016, 11:36:18 AM »
Legend....My thoughts exactly...

guest6185

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2016, 02:42:24 PM »
What about the fact that some insurers give you a discount if you use a Dashcam?  I believe Adrian Flux is supposed to be one of them? (But given their prices, it's cheaper elsewhere without a discount!)  Worth notifying them for that, surely?

jonathan

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2016, 04:07:49 PM »
I have just renewed my Jazz for insurance far cheaper than companies that would give me discount with a dashcam. Unless all insurers took this into consideration its not a "carrot" to go with a specific insurer.....

Personally the cost you "may" save is outweighed by the time and cost you save if you are involved in a crash and need video/photo evidence.

Tags: