Author Topic: Service standards...  (Read 3437 times)

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
Service standards...
« on: February 11, 2019, 05:49:14 PM »
Yesterday my instrument panel became yellow, writing that I had to book the oil service (the second, 10500miles after the first service). And again I will have to debate with my Honda  garage to have the correct oil fill, because they want to fill my engine with a 5w30 Castrol, not the 0w20 factory filled and recommended by the user manual.
Surfing italian forums I noticed that this is a  common issue  for our dealers, engines working with 0w20 (Hondas since early 2000s) are usually filled with a cheaper 5w30: they say that a 5w30 is better for italian weather (bah...), is it the same in UK?
Next service will be DIY, I hope to find the right oil in Italy, if necessary coxmotorparts....
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 05:51:41 PM by jazzaro »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Service standards...
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 06:24:25 PM »
My manual says anywhere from 0W-20 to 5W-40 is suitable for my car. If temperature never falls below -20°C then you can go as heavy as 10W-40. Personally, I use 5W-30 after being advised, by an oil company engineer, not to use the thinnest oil in an engine with over 100,000 miles on the clock.
My local motor factor's database actually recommends 5W-30.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 06:29:48 PM »
Car makers use extra thin oils to get the last fraction of a % fuel efficiency from engine, not because the thinner oil protects better, maybe if I lived inside arctic circle I would use it in winter.

Thinnest I will use is 5W30 in cars but my highly stressed Japanese motorbike engine uses 10W40 ( recommended by Suzuki ).  Some better quality thinner oils have molybdenum compounds in them to improve wear.

Normally the hotter the climate the thicker the oil, and Italy is hotter than UK for sure.

You sound as though you think castrol 5W30 will damage your engine, it certainly will not and will arguably protect it better.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 06:44:24 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 06:55:52 PM »
The key is to change to a quality spec oil + new Honda oil Filter every 7k miles or 10k kilometers or 12 months  which ever id reached sooner.
The Castrol oil 5w-30 is OK see the website Opie oils then search for your car by make & model
https://www.opieoils.co.uk/

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 07:29:59 PM »
The key is to change to a quality spec oil + new Honda oil Filter every 7k miles or 10k kilometers or 12 months  which ever id reached sooner.
Meh. I haven't changed engine oil and filter on any car more than once a year since I stopped buying BL rubbish back in the last century. I seem to recall that the EU mandated that all cars had to be capable of 12k months between servicing many years ago. 7k is not compatible with that directive for most people.

My cars typically do around 11k a year and they've been fine. In addition dealers call me in for a service and they do so annually. I've never had any of them moan about it being past its due mileage for an oil change. I also don't think that engine failure is a significant reason why cars might be condemned. It's usually something structural or body work that spells their doom.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 07:43:11 PM by andruec »

Roddy0000

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2017 Honda jazz my 3 CVT
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 08:49:59 PM »
My manual says anywhere from 0W-20 to 5W-40 is suitable for my car. If temperature never falls below -20°C then you can go as heavy as 10W-40. Personally, I use 5W-30 after being advised, by an oil company engineer, not to use the thinnest oil in an engine with over 100,000 miles on the clock.
My local motor factor's database actually recommends 5W-30.
Just looked on Opie site, says 0W-30, mk3 es 1.3.  So will need to check at next service that they put this grade in I guess....

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 09:01:30 PM »
Opie Oil says 5W-40 for mine. And that is without knowing the mileage. You pays your money, you takes your choice.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 09:09:13 PM »
Just spotted a funny on the Opie site. If you pick the 1339cc, 101 hp, it quotes 0w-30 but if you pick 1339cc, 100 hp, it says to use 5w-40?

jazzaro

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 09:20:16 PM »
Car makers use extra thin oils to get the last fraction of a % fuel efficiency from engine, not because the thinner oil protects better, maybe if I lived inside arctic circle I would use it in winter.

Thinnest I will use is 5W30 in cars but my highly stressed Japanese motorbike engine uses 10W40 ( recommended by Suzuki ).  Some better quality thinner oils have molybdenum compounds in them to improve wear.

Normally the hotter the climate the thicker the oil, and Italy is hotter than UK for sure.

You sound as though you think castrol 5W30 will damage your engine, it certainly will not and will arguably protect it better.
Honda  set the 0w20 as the better choice for quite all its petrol engines, Civic Type R included.  Since 2001 in European, Australian and Japanese markets, Honda petrol engines are prefilled with a 0w20 (Bardhal, Castrol or Idemitsu) for every climate condition. Since 2009 the 0w20 is prefill oil also in US market, leaving the 5w20 used before as the thinner oil was not easily avaiable. Note that also in the USA the 0w20 is the best choice if you're running along deserts in Arizona and New Mexico, but also in Alaska... Climate doesn't matter for this engines, and anyway Italy is not so hot to suggest  different oil viscosities.
No, I'm not worried about the possibility of damage from the 5w30, but I'm sure that those latest Honda engines are better protected by a 0w20 than a 5w30: I think that the 30 number could be better in very strong usage, circuits or german highways with many minutes at very high speed, but the 0w is definetly better in cold starts and city usage with start&stop set on. Thinner oils are better in this kind of usage, because they are better pumped also at low revs and they can reach more easily small parts and small volumes of the engine. Sure, the engine must be designed and built for low viscosity oils, I would never use a 0w20 in a 1.4 Fire Fiat.. but Honda engines are ok for 0w20 since 2001, so why not??
More, since 2013 Honda Hybrids use a 0w16 (I-DCD, I-MMD)... as I wrote before, engines running and stopping lot of times enjoj low viscosity oils, that's why  Honda is testing a 0w8...
Anyway, my "question" is different... Why Honda does not offer the best oil for its engines in our italian workshops, providing a common and cheaper 5w30? IMHO  the official service net should offer "something more" than a generic workshop also considering they are not cheap, otherwise there are no reasons to go there...

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 09:21:54 PM »
Just looked on Opie site, says 0W-30, mk3 es 1.3.
Roddy. What do you have? A 2017 (under your name) or a Mk 3? I thought the Mk 3 was replaced in 2015?

Roddy0000

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2017 Honda jazz my 3 CVT
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2019, 10:11:04 PM »
Honda jazz 2017.  Thought that was mk3 have I got that wrong, does not have the raised profile on the front bar...

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2019, 07:53:54 AM »
I was talking through a hole in my hat. What threw me was when I looked up Opie, and for 2017 the only option they offer is the Mk 4. Their vehicle selector is actually pretty rubbish. If you look at 2016 Mk 3 their only engine option is the 1.5! Don't think I will put a lot of credence in their recommendations.
As soon as I shut down my laptop I realised my error. Call it a "Senior Moment".

jazzaro

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2019, 08:38:42 AM »
Their vehicle selector is actually pretty rubbish. If you look at 2016 Mk 3 their only engine option is the 1.5! Don't think I will put a lot of credence in their recommendations.
I agree.

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2019, 07:49:50 AM »
I suspect this is just the old issue of whether you count the funny little car called a Jazz which Honda made in the 1970s. So there's an argument for calling the 2001, magic seat Jazz the Mk2 and the current model Mk4.
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2019, 08:02:29 AM »
I suspect this is just the old issue of whether you count the funny little car called a Jazz which Honda made in the 1970s. So there's an argument for calling the 2001, magic seat Jazz the Mk2 and the current model Mk4 .
Opie call the 2001 the Mk 1, it is just that they refer to the current Jazz as the Mk 4 (2017 on, often referred to as the facelift model). It is their "Vehicle" definitions which are all over the place.

Tags: