Author Topic: Android Auto  (Read 1780 times)

zesty_bum

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
Android Auto
« on: June 06, 2023, 06:41:27 PM »
Good evening,

I haven't joined a Honda Forum since my JDM Civic days - it's great to be back!

Just purchased a 2019 Honda Jazz SE (UK based). I'm wondering - before spending £100+ on an Android phone, is my vehicle compatible with an Android Auto enabled phone? As far as I know, the Infotainment system is bog standard.

I tried it with an old Android phone, but it was Android v13 (Go), which apparently doesn't have Android Auto enabled.

Thanks in advance!

degzi

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Gd1
Re: Android Auto
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2023, 10:13:48 PM »
No it's not.

You get bluetooth calling etc. And can link up to get websites if you are not driving. So very basic.

Tbh even if you could the hardware is that old it would be unusable.

Only way is to upgrade head unit.

zesty_bum

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2023, 12:37:40 AM »
Ah damn it - I hate technology!  :'(

Thanks degzi - do you have any recommendations for head units that integrate with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto?

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2023, 05:50:23 PM »
I have an Alpine in my ‘19 GK5, here is a link.

I'm very pleased with it.

https://www.alpine.co.uk/p/Products/SingleView/ilx-705d

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zesty_bum

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2023, 12:03:29 AM »
Very nice, thanks for sharing. Does the Alpine head unit allow you to also view "System Settings" e.g. trip computer details (although not really a big miss if it doesn't)?

Disappointed that a 2019 Jazz has such an old head unit. If I'd known Android Auto wasn't compatible, I would've leaned towards a 2019/20 Mazda2.

Anyway, the Alpine is on the "nice to have" list. Thanks again.

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2023, 06:35:10 AM »
No it's not.

You get bluetooth calling etc. And can link up to get websites if you are not driving. So very basic.

Tbh even if you could the hardware is that old it would be unusable.

Only way is to upgrade head unit.
There are annoyingly many things you cannot do when the car us on the move. I understand that the intention is to prevent driver using it on traffic, but a co-driver could do it. And I don't want to stop when travelling, so usually wife gets an iPad and Jazz's system is not used at all.

For some systems there are ways to fool the unit to think car is stationary. I don't know if such would be available for GK Jazz.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2023, 06:37:21 AM by TnTkr »

UKjim

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2023, 08:56:56 AM »
Very nice, thanks for sharing. Does the Alpine head unit allow you to also view "System Settings" e.g. trip computer details (although not really a big miss if it doesn't)?

Disappointed that a 2019 Jazz has such an old head unit. If I'd known Android Auto wasn't compatible, I would've leaned towards a 2019/20 Mazda2.

Anyway, the Alpine is on the "nice to have" list. Thanks again.

No it doesn't integrate with the car as the OEM system does. Most of the features do show on the right hand dial of the instrument cluster so no big deal. I have also fitted a reverse camera which is displayed on the Alpine screen.

zesty_bum

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2023, 09:18:27 PM »

No it doesn't integrate with the car as the OEM system does. Most of the features do show on the right hand dial of the instrument cluster so no big deal. I have also fitted a reverse camera which is displayed on the Alpine screen.

I got quoted £905 (parts and labour) for your setup UKjim (minus the rear camera) - eye watering!  :o

Will have to settle for what I have already.

Out of interest, is there a link/resource detailing your setup (inc installing the rear camera)?

zesty_bum

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2023, 09:22:52 PM »

There are annoyingly many things you cannot do when the car us on the move. I understand that the intention is to prevent driver using it on traffic, but a co-driver could do it. And I don't want to stop when travelling, so usually wife gets an iPad and Jazz's system is not used at all.

For some systems there are ways to fool the unit to think car is stationary. I don't know if such would be available for GK Jazz.

I guess they have to seem to be responsible, and discourage things that may cause accidents.  :-\

Still disappointing though that a Jazz that's just 4 years old has such a poor head unit. I will be upgrading if the price becomes more affordable in the future.

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2023, 06:36:38 AM »
You have to remember, that the design of our cars is from ten years back.

I think too, that the infotainment system in GK Jazz is lousy, but I would never accept an aftermarket system, which cannot integarte with the car as the factory installed unit.

But I must admit, that most of the time I don't use the infotainment system at all. Mainly just in longer trips, when I want to see the route and the ETA.

And I hate the attitude, that somebody else than a dumb user is considered responsible of possible accidents. Because that means limitations and restrictions to all users.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2023, 06:47:05 AM by TnTkr »

HertsHonda

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX I-VTEC CVT 2017
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2023, 04:34:39 PM »
Not sure that Android Auto will work with Infotainment software.
However I've managed to play voice navi instructions from "Waze" and "Google Maps" through the infotainment system by enabling a Bluetooth connection from Android 9 phone on my '67 plate Jazz MK3.

UKjim

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2023, 04:42:50 PM »
Not sure that Android Auto will work with Infotainment software.
However I've managed to play voice navi instructions from "Waze" and "Google Maps" through the infotainment system by enabling a Bluetooth connection from Android 9 phone on my '67 plate Jazz MK3.

Yes you can do that through any car with Bluetooth but obviously you don't have maps displayed on your screen.

Tags: