Author Topic: Top 10 Swirl Prevention Tips  (Read 11650 times)

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 03:16:14 PM by RichardA »

Spencer69

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: JAZZ I-VTEC SI 5 dr (nearly)!
Re: Top 10 Swirl Prevention Tips
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 07:23:07 AM »
Errr, is it just me/my laptop, or is the above post really 'empty'! I can honestly see nothing, no title, no tips, nowt!

JohnAlways

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2i-VTEC S (AC) 2013
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 09:34:58 AM »
I can see the video fine but not sure I would go to that extent to clean my Jazz, it will get rained and birdied on all to soon

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 11:02:14 AM »

RichardA

• Topic Starter
  • Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 08:55:06 PM »
I've been using the two bucket method with a microfibre wash mitt and drying towel for years and have never looked back.

I'm using a wash mitt from ASDA I got in the Secret Santa at work almost five years ago and some Kent drying towels you can buy cheaply from Amazon or B&Q (the latter sometimes sell them on a 3 for 2 offer). No need to spend a fortune.

Spencer69, maybe your browser doesn't have the Flash plugin installed?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 09:35:50 PM »
I can see the video fine but not sure I would go to that extent to clean my Jazz, it will get rained and birdied on all to soon

my best anti swirl technique is the one I have used for many years - don't clean the car very often (about once a year  - whether it needs it or not ).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest1372

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 09:43:20 PM »
Does seem to be a bit tricky, YT posts normally show up OK

youtu.be/mCBjtTUOAns

Without watching I guess you can sum it up as: don't rub dirt into the paintwork.
--
TG

[attachment deleted by admin]

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 10:14:22 PM »

my best anti swirl technique is the one I have used for many years - don't clean the car very often (about once a year  - whether it needs it or not ).

Well I personally wouldn't leave it that long lol.

But there is a serious point here, the very act of washing inevitably moves grit around the bodywork. Polished Bliss - a detailing firm up in Aberdeen - advise against excessive washing - no more than once a week and that's for a daily driver.

The two bucket method and the use of a mitt minimises the damage and it is not hard to do and actually adds very little time to the washing process.

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
Top 10 Swirl Prevention Tips
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2016, 03:38:47 AM »

Hahahaha

You might not get swirls, but without cleaning for such a long time you do get bird poop damage, and remains of insects, tree sap, tar splashes and traffic film on the paint are more difficult to remove. Regular washing also makes sure you notice any paint damage in time.

Swirls you can remove or hide (fill), damage from not washing regular are more severe and can be difficult and expensive to repair: Bird poop is acid, etches into the paint and the longer it remains, the greater the damage. Small scratches and stone chips that go through the color coat into the primer or down to the metal are going to rust when you don't notice them in time.

Protecting a clean paint with a wax, sealant, or other and maintain that protection will not only look great, but also keeps the paint in good condition and regular washing is much easier on a waxed car. Do also the wheels in a sealant and they never need an aggressive wheel cleaner anymore. ;)

I do have a snow foam lance and HP washer, but not use it every wash. Once every other week, depending how dirty,  i hose off the car to loosen and soften the dirt and then clean it with 2 buckets (a 3rd for the wheels), a wash pad (microfiber madness incredipad) and another wash mitt for the lower parts. I use a wax-safe car shampoo (carpro or DDJ) and after rinsing with the hose i dry the car with a carpro fat boa towel. A spotless clean (and swirl free) Jazz in a little more than 30 minutes! :)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 03:40:21 AM by jazzway »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2016, 07:13:50 AM »
Every time it rains my car looks as good as the neighbours who cleans his car several times a week - reckon I save about 3 hours a week - would rather go out on my motorbike than clean a car.  I do get rid of bird poo with a tissue after softening with a spray of dilute fairy liquid (another no-no to clean car nerds I know).

When we lived in Oz it saddened me to see people using precious water (Oz is driest continent on the planet) to clean their cars  (hardly any water in Murray-Darling river system ever gets to the sea at Adelaide, the river mouth has all but dried up),  but I guess a clean car is more important than food on your plate,  even in this country we don't get as much fresh water as we should (wrong kind of rain) on a regular basis - and every cupful has to be filtered and treated (in summer the flow in some of our British rivers is almost stopped by water companies sucking (or abstracting) far too much water from them.

'life is too short to spend it cleaning cars' (to paraphrase a 70's feminist mantra 'life is too short to stuff mushrooms')
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 07:26:20 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest7110

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2017, 11:54:14 AM »
+1 for the two-bucket method! :)

Tags: videos features 

anything