Author Topic: Electric cars  (Read 694002 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Electric cars
« Reply #2130 on: April 14, 2021, 09:25:18 AM »
EQS dash.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #2131 on: April 14, 2021, 03:15:45 PM »
Will the regulators catch up and require that all important controls can be operated without looking? Perhaps not since they seem to be in the pay of the car industry but the safety rating could be include whether core functions of a vehicle can be used without taking eyes off the road. Otherwise the indicator stalk will be replaced by a process of selecting the appropriate screen and then touching the appropriate indicator symbol. etc...

Honda tried moving to touch panels for the heating and ventilation controls but have now reverted to proper knobs and buttons in response to user feedback. They probably realise that it's better for road safety but wouldn't want to publicly say as much at that would imply that they have previously changed to something that was less safe.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #2132 on: April 15, 2021, 08:23:18 AM »
Interesting look ahead. Tesla plans a small, cheaper car for the middle of the decade.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #2133 on: April 15, 2021, 11:39:41 AM »
The dash of the Merc gives me shudders. Call me a luddite, but I like a car to have dials, buttons and as much manualy operated stuff as possible!

Apple will be a very big player when they get into gear. According to this, they are close to finding that elusive partner: https://www.techradar.com/news/apple-could-be-turning-to-an-old-rival-for-its-apple-car

Press photos always make cars look brilliant, but it's easier to get a true impression of a car with regular dealer pics. Our local MG dealer has the MG5 in a lovely colour and a whopping saving. Check out the photos: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233961557505

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2134 on: April 15, 2021, 01:58:18 PM »
The dash of the Merc gives me shudders. Call me a luddite, but I like a car to have dials, buttons and as much manualy operated stuff as possible!

Far too many distractions in vehicles, and all the 'aids' just make people lazy and inattentive. 
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #2135 on: April 15, 2021, 03:35:43 PM »
I thought the EQS looked stunning. Admittedly Robert Llewellyn was so excited he was barely articulate but it's a thing of beauty and has genuinely great range. I was worried when he kept saying it will be expensive. Perhaps it comes from watching Top Gear but £100-120k doesn't seem bonkers. It's roughly the price of an S class. Aside from the fact that does about 32 mpg I know which is special.
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #2136 on: April 16, 2021, 02:21:16 PM »
EQS dash.

Certainly a very different approach to Tesla.
I had to take my wife to the dentist this morning and while waiting outside there was aTesla parked alongside me.
It looked as if the dashboard was just plain black plastic with a flat screen tele sticking out of the middle.

https://www.parkers.co.uk/tesla/model-3/review/interior/

Think I prefer a walnut fascia with dials, switches and knobs to either.

The roads were hoaching --- like rush hour at 12 o'clock. First day of removal of travel restrictions in Scotland.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 03:40:24 PM by JimSh »

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #2137 on: April 17, 2021, 05:48:50 PM »
Enter the dragon.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesmorris/2021/01/09/chinese-electric-vehicles-to-look-out-for-in-2021/

How they compare

Xpeng P7
Guangzhou-based Xpeng is considering launching its P7 premium saloon in Europe, with downloadable updates to self-driving software.
Price 229,900 yuan in China (£25,600) Range 439 miles (according to the relatively lenient NEDC standard)

Nio ET7
A very large battery gives Nio’s saloon a long range and fast acceleration – 3.9 seconds to 62mph – as it goes up against Tesla’s Model S.
Price 448,000 yuan (£50,000) Range 621 miles (NEDC)

BYD Tang EV600
Formerly a plug-in hybrid, the battery version of the Tang SUV will be on sale in Norway this year.
Price 260,000 yuan (£28,900); Range 373 miles (NEDC)

Nio’s big selling point is that its batteries can be swapped in minutes by robots – removing the threat of range anxiety for drivers of electric vehicles.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/apr/17/chinese-firms-prepare-to-charge-into-europes-electric-car-market
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 05:55:07 PM by JimSh »

TiJazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar eHEV
« Reply #2138 on: April 17, 2021, 11:52:05 PM »
Brits won’t touch these until they’ve proven themselves for years and a dealer network is in place. Look how long it took Kia and Hyundai to gain a foothold. MG has taken off quicker, but has largely been given a free pass because of the badge.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2139 on: April 19, 2021, 05:20:50 PM »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #2140 on: April 19, 2021, 08:29:23 PM »
Two new entrants for the Darwin Awards 2021:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-56799749

swhull

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Si 1.4 i-vtec
« Reply #2141 on: April 19, 2021, 08:34:49 PM »
Elon Musk must be proud...

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #2142 on: April 19, 2021, 08:59:49 PM »
Oh dear......

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/recall-hyundai-900-million-electric-battery-problem/
How accessible is the battery? Battery cell replacement isn't easy to do on a Tesla:
Perhaps Hyundai have made the battery easier to access.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2143 on: April 20, 2021, 09:49:57 AM »
Elon Musk must be proud...

Well if Tesla autopilot needs lane markings to work it would rarely work round by us... and what about heavy rain and snow.   There have been crashes where lines in road disappeared and Teslas have gone into crash barriers while 'looking for the lines'..  Tesla Autopilot seems no better than a fancy cruise control,  the difference is that cruise control works.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2144 on: April 20, 2021, 09:54:57 AM »
Oh dear......

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/recall-hyundai-900-million-electric-battery-problem/
How accessible is the battery? Battery cell replacement isn't easy to do on a Tesla:
Perhaps Hyundai have made the battery easier to access.

Imagine swapping out that Tesla battery at a 'battery change station' the sheer weight and size make that possibility remote,  the battery is a major part of the car.  Never mind,  a 100KW/Hr battery the size of a shoe box is in the pipeline.

Tags: