Author Topic: Electric cars  (Read 771628 times)

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
Re: Electric cars
« Reply #1800 on: December 28, 2020, 06:53:32 PM »
PS - just checked gridwatch  site and wind and solar combined are less than 4% of
power going to grid.

Good job a lot of industry on shutdown or demand would be higher still.

On Boxing day more than of Great Britains electricity came from wind turbines.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/dec/28/storm-bella-helps-uk-record-wind-power-generation-boxing-day

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #1801 on: December 28, 2020, 07:05:10 PM »

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #1802 on: December 28, 2020, 07:23:04 PM »
Ooops. Sorry sparky Paul ! Attention to detail lacking.  :D

I recall last year we had several weeks with days of 40+ mph gusts. I own an older house that doesnt have the best roof, so always keep an eye on the wind. Last year we had many storms of the size of the recent storm Bella, so the electricity generated must have been substantial.

I remember reading last year about the Uk being coal free for a long time!

https://www.ecotricity.co.uk/news/news-archive/2020/67-days-coal-free-a-major-milestone-on-the-journey-to-a-greener-britain

The electricity to power cars has to come from somewhere, so if it can be produced without coal, that is a big benefit for the environment.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #1803 on: December 28, 2020, 08:03:04 PM »
As I posted a couple of weeks ago:

Scotland generated enough electricity from renewable sources last year (2019 - my brackets) to meet the equivalent of 90.1% of its total electricity consumption, according to latest figures.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #1804 on: December 28, 2020, 08:27:33 PM »
Ooops. Sorry sparky Paul ! Attention to detail lacking.  :D

Don't worry, I was only three quarters of an hour in front of you  ;)

It can take me that long to write a post sometimes, especially when I'm cooking...

I remember reading last year about the Uk being coal free for a long time!

It won't be long before coal generation is gone permanently.

Scotland generated enough electricity from renewable sources last year (2019 - my brackets) to meet the equivalent of 90.1% of its total electricity consumption, according to latest figures.

I would love to see a significant proportion of generation come from tidal in Scotland. Someone in the industry told me that the Pentland Firth could supply a majority of Scotland's energy needs if it was effectively harnessed.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #1805 on: December 28, 2020, 08:36:49 PM »
UK energy consumption for heating had been reducing steadily from around 2000-2010, due to energy conservation measures taken in the past, though it has flattened off since then.
However, if we all convert to using heat pumps, as gov't is currently trying to encourage in order to reduce the gas consumption then the electricity demand is likely to increase. 10 million homes using 2kW for heating is another 20GW load on the grid. A substantial proportion of that heating is likely to be turned on at about 5pm thus adding to the early evening peak electricity demand. However, while powering the heat pumps will require extra generating capacity, it won't conflict with charging of EVs which can be done during periods of low electricity demand.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1806 on: December 28, 2020, 08:40:54 PM »
I'd love to be able to heat my home on 2 kW of electricity. There are many homes like mine using 6 to 8 kW and still freezing. We have a heated over blanket to try and keep warm, but usually give up and just go to our bed. My wife is away to bed already. It is that cold.

TiJazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar eHEV
« Reply #1807 on: December 28, 2020, 08:52:39 PM »
Have you tried an air con/heat pump system?

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #1808 on: December 28, 2020, 09:07:21 PM »

Good suggestion, you can get freestanding portable units which double up as an air conditioner in summer. They are not as efficient as a fixed split circuit air-source system, but can still give out around 3KW of heat for around 1-1.5KW of input.

Might be worth considering, but they do make a little noise.

TiJazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar eHEV
« Reply #1809 on: December 28, 2020, 09:21:28 PM »
I’ve had both portable single units and properly installed split systems - if you can get one installed, it’s a thousand times quieter than a portable. Even the outdoor unit barely makes any noise, and the property is a constant temperature all year round with little impact on energy bills.

It’s a ton more efficient than electric panel heaters, and more consistent than central heating.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #1810 on: December 29, 2020, 05:33:56 AM »
After I move, hopefully 2022, I will get a proper split system installed. As said, portable units are very noisy and if you don't seal round the vent hose it partially defeats the object as hot air streams in.
Let's be careful out there !

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1811 on: December 29, 2020, 07:33:23 AM »
I live in a rented, furnished flat, so I have to make do with what I have.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #1812 on: December 29, 2020, 09:36:55 AM »

Its not constant though - and it needs to be at times when it is useable. 

Look at this to show how variable renewables really are.

https://gridwatch.co.uk/renewables/percent/
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #1813 on: December 29, 2020, 09:44:31 AM »
I’ve had both portable single units and properly installed split systems - if you can get one installed, it’s a thousand times quieter than a portable. Even the outdoor unit barely makes any noise, and the property is a constant temperature all year round with little impact on energy bills.

It’s a ton more efficient than electric panel heaters, and more consistent than central heating.

The efficiency of converting electricity into heat with heatpumps reduces as ambient temperature drops.  To match gas on cost the conversion factor needs to be >5 ( electricity is on average about 5x the cost of gas - and a good boiler is over 90% efficient at converting gas energy to heat ).  There is also the initial cost of the installation to take into account ( payback period ), and maintenance costs. Seems that airsource heatpumps deliver most when you need it least, ground source are better,  but expensive and not available for everyone.

https://aspirationenergy.com/how-low-ambient-temperature-can-affect-your-heat-pump-performance/
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #1814 on: December 29, 2020, 09:56:38 AM »
The efficiency of converting electricity into heat with heatpumps reduces as ambient temperature drops.  To match gas on cost the conversion factor needs to be >5 ( electricity is on average about 5x the cost of gas - and a good boiler is over 90% efficient at converting gas energy to heat ).

There's this wide assumption that everyone has access to mains gas. There's no domestic mains gas near me for miles, ironically there is a gas fired power station.

Jocko's problem is that he's stuck with what he's got. He could use a portable heat pump with very minimal adaptations, any hole in an outside wall can be pressed into service with a bit of duct tape.

It's shameful that people are expected to live in a home that they cannot afford to heat.

Tags: