Author Topic: Electric cars  (Read 772009 times)

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: Electric cars
« Reply #2730 on: September 13, 2023, 11:28:58 AM »
Kremmen

Know what you mean about houses with stuff that needs doing. Old couple moved out of a semi opposite us early last year. The new owner is, quite literally, gutting it - it's the most extreme makeover I've seen in the flesh. All the wiring has been replaced, all plaster stripped off, interior doors, skirting boards, old kitchen which was in an extension has been demolished and a new one installed in a completely rebuilt extension. Spoken to the guy who is downsizing into it and he said he wants to do everything before he gets too old to put up with the disruption. Must be costing serious money. You can see his point though.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #2731 on: September 13, 2023, 12:07:21 PM »
That's what I'm hoping to do. My neighbour where I am now does good quality full house refurbishments

He reckons he could turn almost anything into a blank canvas 'palace' for between £40k to £50k

That's a full gut and rebuild.
Let's be careful out there !

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2732 on: September 13, 2023, 12:36:18 PM »
Talking about mileage, mine would be even less but I often go the long way round to the supermarket (8 miles return as opposed to 3) to give the car a bit of a run plus I still enjoy a drive.
I am the same. Any excuse to get behind the wheel and the long way rather than the short way. My wife doesn't understand when I am happy to go to a store further out of town. But she doesn't drive.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #2733 on: September 13, 2023, 04:43:13 PM »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #2734 on: September 13, 2023, 06:54:22 PM »
Interesting. Mind you, I know how long it took to lay the rails for Edinburgh's trams!

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #2735 on: September 14, 2023, 05:42:12 AM »
Today's papers are saying the Chinese are heavily subsidising EV production and the EU are to investigate this apparently illegal business practice.

France seem the most worried.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #2736 on: September 14, 2023, 07:15:25 AM »
Interesting. Mind you, I know how long it took to lay the rails for Edinburgh's trams!

I thought you might say that. I worked in Edinburgh a lot during that time. Seemingly endless chaos.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #2737 on: September 14, 2023, 08:13:12 AM »
The latest TV advert for a Renault full Hybrid  brags about its range of up to 680 miles ( or  thereabouts) 
Yes - thats because its the range from a tank full of petrol!     A bit deceptive IMO  to  obscure the difference between hybrid and EV in this way . The advert also promotes its monthly leasing cost.     This may be the way the business market is heading. 
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #2738 on: September 14, 2023, 11:58:13 AM »
Today's papers are saying the Chinese are heavily subsidising EV production and the EU are to investigate this apparently illegal business practice.

France seem the most worried.
EU motor manufacturers are sh***ing themselves. Subsidising goods exported from a country is not illegal. If the importer deems it unfair they can slap on a tariff to try and balance things. Of course, the exporting country can retaliate by adding a tariff to goods the other party sell to them. It is what China and the US are doing to each other at the moment.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #2739 on: September 14, 2023, 12:43:41 PM »
Auto express

European car makers facing cut-price competition from Chinese rivals have helped persuade the EU to begin a trade investigation that could see consumers paying higher prices for EVs.

Brussels believes cut-price Chinese electric vehicles are distorting the EU market, and endangering the current market leadership of its home-grown car makers. The investigation has been called for by states including France, where domestic car makers believe they are facing competition that’s unfair.

The probe was announced in a speech today by European Commission president Ursula von der Leyen. She stated that the electric car sector is a huge potential market for Europe’s car makers, but “global markets are now flooded with cheaper Chinese electric cars” and that their costs are being kept artificially low by “huge state subsidies”. If the inquiry proves that is indeed the case, World Trade Organisation rules allow for the imposition of significant tariffs that could make buying Chinese cars much more expensive for consumers.

Perhaps unexpectedly, the European Commission probe is not universally welcomed, with some reports pointing to comments made by German chancellor Olaf Scholz last week where he said “competition should spur us on, not scare us”. He appeared to dismiss the issue of the Chinese ‘dumping’ cars in Europe specifically, saying: “In the 80s, people said that Japanese cars were overrunning all other markets. Twenty years later, it was cars made in Korea. Today, it’s supposed to be Chinese electric cars.”

The German car industry seems less inclined to start a trade war with China too, with comments from their trade body the VDA suggesting EU policy-makers should focus more on getting the domestic framework right for the EV transition, and to take into account China’s possible ‘counter-reactions’ to the imposition of tariffs on its products. Many European car makers also have close links to China with manufacturing bases located there and joint ventures with Chinese domestic brands.

Here in the UK, the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders has responded in less-than-enthusiastic fashion, too. “We will monitor the situation and carefully assess the potential for any impact on the UK,” says Mike Hawes, chief executive. “However, the industry is committed to free and fair global trade and has been successful on that basis. The immediate priority is our own competitiveness – both manufacturing and market – and the development and implementation of a strategy to enhance the UK offering.”

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #2740 on: September 14, 2023, 12:53:25 PM »
VW and BMW have manufacturing plants in China .. and a lot to lose via tariffs.

The EU - and the US and the  UK - are about 8 years behind the Chinese: the cheapest Chinese EV is under £10k .

Long term strategies - well thought out - in technology  - work.  See Apple's Iphone. And Tesla.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #2741 on: September 14, 2023, 01:47:36 PM »
King Canute springs to mind.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #2742 on: September 16, 2023, 01:54:03 PM »
There's a relevant article at https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66820791 . It mentions that soon those manufacturers who aren't selling enough EVs in the UK will need to buy credits from those who are, so the Chinese EV manufacturers will get an extra source of income.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #2743 on: September 16, 2023, 02:30:17 PM »
They keep talking about the UK car industry. What UK car industry? Mini? BMW and Germany. Vauxhall? Stellantis, an American/Italian conglomerate. Landrover? Mainly Tata Motors and India. Rolls Royce? Volkswagen and Germany. Bentley? Same as Rolls Royce. MG/Rover? China. We sold our car industry years back when the moneymen figured banking and insurance were a better bet.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #2744 on: September 16, 2023, 08:21:57 PM »
What UK car industry? 
All sold off, together with everything else we owned, by a certain Grantham born lady many years ago. It's all in foreign ownership now, and the profits go overseas. Well done that lady, sterling work.

Tags: