Author Topic: Should I go diesel?  (Read 4865 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Should I go diesel?
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2019, 03:20:29 PM »
Tyres don't really worry me, as I am not hard on tyres, nor am I particularly worried about the longevity of a diesel engine. I know you get occasional major failures (my son-in-law had a crankshaft snap in his works Discovery. He couldn't believe it, and it cost his company several thousand pounds to put right), but in my experience, petrol engines fail more often than diesels. But all this looks immaterial, as my wife is adamant that she doesn't want us to buy a diesel (she doesn't even drive), and explaining to her that if I don't buy it someone else will isn't cutting much ice!

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2019, 03:39:33 PM »
Very difficult to argue with a veto from "er indoors" ;D

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2019, 04:08:54 PM »
Mazda diesels have an apalling reliability record..

Agree, they're not the best.

I don't want to sound too pessimistic Jocko by my Ford TDCI lasted 115k

Let me guess, 1.6 TDCI? That is a disaster from Peugeot, most of the problems stem from injector leaks... which burns the engine oil, blocks the oil strainer, kills the turbo, and then the crank often starts knocking shortly after. The 1.4 TDCI in the Fiesta, etc., wasn't a lot better.

BMW & Mini also use the Peugeot diesels in some models, not sure what engine the one Jocko was looking at has in it. Given the good mpg, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the Peugeot.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2019, 04:28:18 PM »
Very difficult to argue with a veto from "er indoors" ;D

Women can be weird and wonderful creatures,  with too often no discernable logic to their decisions.....
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2019, 05:18:20 PM »
BMW & Mini also use the Peugeot diesels in some models, not sure what engine the one Jocko was looking at has in it. Given the good mpg, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the Peugeot.
The PSA engine only comes in 1.4 and 1.6. This Beemer uses the B47 engine, built in their Steyr plant, in Austria.

Basil

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.2 S Mk2 - GG5 & 1.5 Sport Mk3 - GK5
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2019, 07:52:50 AM »
Mazda diesels have an apalling reliability record..

Agree, they're not the best.

I don't want to sound too pessimistic Jocko by my Ford TDCI lasted 115k

Let me guess, 1.6 TDCI? That is a disaster from Peugeot, most of the problems stem from injector leaks... which burns the engine oil, blocks the oil strainer, kills the turbo, and then the crank often starts knocking shortly after. The 1.4 TDCI in the Fiesta, etc., wasn't a lot better.

It was a 130BHP 2.0 TDCI and it seemed to be something with fuel pump and/or injectors.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2019, 12:58:38 PM »
It was a 130BHP 2.0 TDCI and it seemed to be something with fuel pump and/or injectors.

That was another disaster, the 2.0 TDCI first seen in the Mondeo mk3 and Transit. Injector pump failed, and the bits blocked the injectors and contaminated the fuel tank and pipework. Very expensive to rectify.

That engine was replaced in the mk4 Mondeo by the 2.0 Peugeot HDi built under license by Ford. Far better engine - Peugeot didn't get everything wrong.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2019, 06:32:45 PM »
I think my part in this thread is over. I phoned Bruce to tell him I was still thinking hard about it and he told me I could have it over the weekend. When I told my wife she said it was pointless, as she doesn't want us buying a diesel. She says it is diesels that are exacerbating her daughters asthma. I know when to fight and when to slink away, and this is one of those times for my tail between my legs. She is an emotional time bomb at present, so I will demur gently.
I phoned Bruce this evening and told him I would have to decline his great offer.

Tags:

anything