Author Topic: Battery charge level goes to 10 in cold weather  (Read 1209 times)

PaulC

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz eHEV Luxe
Battery charge level goes to 10 in cold weather
« on: June 06, 2023, 11:30:16 PM »
It's winter here in New Zealand so I have been turning the requested temperature level up to 25 in our Jazz Hybrid before I drive off in the morning (EXO has also been turned to OFF). The reason is to force the brain in the cabin environment control to realise that I need heat and I need lots ASAP.
This has the effect of keeping the engine running for a long time to provide heat to the cabin.

I have noticed that the battery charge level goes up to 10 as the car doesn't go into EV mode.
Once the cabin is warm, the car reverts back to running in a mix of EV and non-EV mode, and the battery charge level drops down to its usual range of 3 to 6.

Has anyone else noticed this behaviour in their Jazz Hybrid?
(Spinal Tap fans no doubt have a battery charge level that goes to 11  :D )

Marco1979

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Crosstar 2021 Crystal Red
Re: Battery charge level goes to 10 in cold weather
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2023, 06:09:47 AM »
That is normal! When the engine needs to run to produce heat, it runs at 1500 rpm (or higher if needed) and drives the generator. So depending on the type of roads you drive the battery will be topped up if not all electricity is used directly.

When coming to a full stop (lights etc.) I set the climate control to OFF sometimes to save fuel and noise.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2023, 06:55:15 AM »
 I normally leave the cabin temperature setting at my usual  21c,  and get warm on colder days by using the heated seats .These warm you up very quickly and its more energy  efficient.  Even when its quite cold I can often switch them off, or down,  after about a mile.By which time the cabin temperature has reached a comfortable enough temperature to do without them.   The engine may still be running more and not using EV until cabin temperature reaches its target  temperature (either raised with heat, or lowered with aircon)   but it will  rise to 21c much sooner than 25c.

I cant say I've ever noticed it reaching 10 bars before EV kicks in,  but maybe it does..I wouldnt be surprised. There are times in normal running, with plenty of bars and travelling downhill when it doest go into EV mode as you would expect. Does NZ specification include heated seats ? 
« Last Edit: June 07, 2023, 08:23:43 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2023, 08:26:58 AM »
I normally leave the cabin temperature setting at my usual  21c,  and get warm on colder days by using the heated seats .These warm you up very quickly and its more energy  efficient.  Even when its quite cold I can often switch them off, or down,  after about a mile.By which time the cabin temperature has reached a comfortable enough temperature to do without them.   The engine may still be running more and not using EV until cabin temperature reaches its target  temperature (either raised with heat, or lowered with aircon)   but it will  rise to 21c much sooner than 25c.

I cant say I've ever noticed it reaching 10 bars before EV kicks in,  but maybe it does. Does NZ specification include heated seats ?

Slightly off-topic, but I never quite understand this sort of comment. For me, the main reason for needing heat in winter is not to warm up the occupants (they have the ability to use a new-fangled technical innovation called … “warm clothes”!), but to clear condensation from the screen and other windows as quickly as possible. Personally I don’t like wiping the inside because I can never get it completely streak-free, so I need a source of warm air. How do those folks who rely on the heated seats clear the screen?

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2023, 10:09:10 AM »
I agree.

I like to drive round in about 21C so that's what my Auto CC is set to all year round. I don't use either the heated seats or steering wheel.

I'm very pleased how quick warm air does start to be felt. Definitely quicker than my old 9G Civic.
Let's be careful out there !

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2023, 10:48:44 AM »
I press the demist button.  It concentrates most of  the available engine heat, fan air, and any dehumidifying effect of the air conditioning  for that one purpose rather than wasting it trying to also warm passengers.    It works quite quickly,defrosting and demisting  better than most cars I've had.  Saves having to stop to take off the excess warm  clothing when the car heats up. .Been there, done that.Got the T shirt  (worn as an extra layer)     

Must admit I previously  regarded heated seats as an unnecessary and  decadent extravagance and probably would have opted out of paying extra for them. And might still do so for a conventional i.c.e. car.  .  But they have a definite advantage on range on a full EV, and therefore of petrol consumption on a hybrid.   Plus they are pleasant.   I can rough it when necessary with extra clothes. Have sometimes  slept with a bedroom at minus 9c or colder.   But if you have heated seats but not using them out of principle then  I beg to differ.   I could manage without a heated steering wheel in the UK  but have used it and can see the advantage if you live in colder climates.  Driving without fur mittens  ;D
« Last Edit: June 07, 2023, 10:52:57 AM by Lord Voltermore »

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2023, 11:58:26 AM »
I've had heated seats on previous cars and when tested I've always found my body heat warms the seat before I feel any heat coming through the seat material.

Plus, I'm dubious whether the inner seat heat is drying out the side false leather causing the cracks for some. Just a theory but after researching and reading that flexible PVC and the like should not be allowed to dry.

I've only previously had heated seats under real leather.

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2023, 12:35:32 PM »
Plus, I'm dubious whether the inner seat heat is drying out the side false leather causing the cracks for some. Just a theory but after researching and reading that flexible PVC and the like should not be allowed to dry.

The heaters are only below the cloth bits. I use the heaters regularly in winter and have seen no problems with the fake leather so far.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2023, 12:45:07 PM »
I've had heated seats on previous cars and when tested I've always found my body heat warms the seat before I feel any heat coming through the seat material.

If that's the case, I'd check my body temperature...
If nothing goes right, go left!

PaulC

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz eHEV Luxe
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2023, 01:53:05 AM »
Thanks to those posters who have reassured me that it is normal for the battery charge indicator to go up to 10 bars when I set the required temperature to 25C.
To give some context, I live in Auckland, New Zealand, where low daytime average temperatures during the winter are in the region 10 to 15C and nighttime drops at most to 1C - we don't have frosts anymore except in sheltered spots.

Off Topic:
Our Jazz hybrid has heated seats but to my wife's dismay no heated steering wheel (she feels the cold more than me).
We are not "winter deniers" - a subspecies of NZer who go around, regardless of the weather, in just a singlet on the top part of their body, shorts on the lower body half and light sandals (no socks) on their feet. They are descendents of the early UK colonisers whose ability to ignore cold has left NZ with houses that are essentially "wooden tents".

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2023, 04:15:16 AM »
If I don't use mine for 2 weeks I give the 12v battery a CTEK boost. Almost every next powerup it goes to 10 bars. The charge seems to temporarily confuse the system as it soon recalculates and drops to the usual variable 3 to 7 bars.

From your follow up, my postman wears shorts all year round.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2023, 07:27:42 AM »

We are not "winter deniers" - a subspecies of NZer who go around, regardless of the weather, in just a singlet on the top part of their body, shorts on the lower body half and light sandals (no socks) on their feet. They are descendents of the early UK colonisers whose ability to ignore cold has left NZ with houses that are essentially "wooden tents".
We still have such attitudes  in the UK.  Houses generally  poorly insulated, and last winter i saw a bloke about 60 walking in 3 inches of snow wearing shorts and open sandals with no socks.  He was a bit of a retro hippy, but still daft. You often see youngsters inappropriately dressed for the weather, Presumably they lack the common sense to look outside before chosing what to wear  that day.Maybe its because many folk insist on heating their home to shorts and T shirt temperature   in the winter, regardless of  cost to the environment and their bank balance.   Countries with more extremes of weather seem to be raised from childhood to take its dangers  more seriously, dressing up warm, and not stripping off and burning themselves to a crisp if the sun comes out.  But even in seriously cold countries  you occasionally see young women trying to walk in ice and snow on stiletto heels . But generally they are not dressed only in a clubbing party frock.    I notice such details  ;) sorry folks ,Still off topic   :-[
« Last Edit: June 08, 2023, 07:29:56 AM by Lord Voltermore »

davejazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz EX 1.5 May 22 in boring black!
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2023, 08:24:51 AM »

Off Topic:

We are not "winter deniers" - a subspecies of NZer who go around, regardless of the weather, in just a singlet on the top part of their body,
[/quote]

PaulC, It’s great that you hang on to words in NZ, that we last used in the 1960s. “Singlet”.  Wonderful!!!
I think that was replaced with “vest”, but (most), don’t wear those either!
As for the postmen wearing shorts all year, most (all) do; they think it’s a first class idea. Sorry for that.

Zaier

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Jazz e:HEV 2020 Executive
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2023, 08:48:54 AM »
It's winter here in New Zealand so I have been turning the requested temperature level up to 25 in our Jazz Hybrid before I drive off in the morning (EXO has also been turned to OFF). The reason is to force the brain in the cabin environment control to realise that I need heat and I need lots ASAP.
This has the effect of keeping the engine running for a long time to provide heat to the cabin.

I have noticed that the battery charge level goes up to 10 as the car doesn't go into EV mode.
Once the cabin is warm, the car reverts back to running in a mix of EV and non-EV mode, and the battery charge level drops down to its usual range of 3 to 6.

Has anyone else noticed this behaviour in their Jazz Hybrid?
(Spinal Tap fans no doubt have a battery charge level that goes to 11  :D )
Yes, that's absolutely normal, when the engine runs in "heating" mode (it stays on just because you're asking heating the car), it doesn't charge nor discharge the battery. So every time you brake, the battery is charged by the regen untill it reaches the maximum and the friction brake kicks in.
To avoid this behaviour, which in my short commute it's noticeable in terms of fuel consumption, especially when the temperature is around 0°C, I usually start the heating in "auto" mode with temperature set to 16-17° and then I increase it from time to time while the engine warms up and starts shutting down as usual.
In this was it still heats the car very quickly, but avoids keeping the engine on for too long.
In the meanwhile I use seat and steering wheel heather as quick supplement, but neither the windscreen, nor my daughter in the back seat can feel them , so I have to use the cabin heather anyway.

PaultheManc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 Jazz Hybrid SR
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2023, 09:58:21 AM »
My approach to the 10bar, 'full', battery is to switch off the climate control, which usually results in the Jazz immediately switching to EV mode.  As the Jazz will do about a mile on EV before the engine kicks in, the time in the 'off' position is never too long, and once the engine engages to charge the battery (or slightly earlier is preferred), then turn the climate control back on.
I appreciate this involves being more active in managing the car, and many will just take the mpg hit for convenience.

Tags: