Author Topic: Insurance  (Read 2449 times)

Trebor

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: I vtec es auto 2012
Insurance
« on: January 09, 2021, 10:51:32 AM »
Hi there fellow jazzers,my insurance runs out on the 26 /1/2021,can any one put me in touch with a decent insurance company,I'm with the AA at the moment,do you ever get the feeling you are getting reapt off.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Insurance
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2021, 11:09:24 AM »
If you keep paying the renewals, some insurers will keep creeping up the premium. It's not easy to recommend a particular insurer, the one which works out best for you will depend upon your own circumstances.

Sign up with a couple of comparison sites and get some quotes. MoneySavingExpert's car insurance guide is a good start

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/car-insurance/

Trebor

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: I vtec es auto 2012
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2021, 08:26:06 PM »
Thanks for the reply Sparky.

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2021, 08:46:07 PM »
Try confused.com, comparetyemarket.com and the rest. You have to do this every year, say 21 days before your expiry date.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 10:07:39 PM by 123Drive! »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2021, 10:14:18 PM »
I check the comparison sites about 28 days before renewal. I look for the cheapest quote from a company I trust/have heard of. I then phone my current insurer and ask them to match the price. If they match it or get within a few quid, I renew, if not I swap.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2021, 12:52:08 AM »
I did a couple of phone call renewals with the AA after getting high quotes, they dropped the renewal down to competitive amounts (from comparison sites), so I was fine with that. The following year I just got fed up with the game and went with LV, who get pretty good reviews on trustpilot etc. I haven't had to make any claims etc so can't really comment from first hand experience.
I do have an Aviva policy which has some advantages (no charge for changes, fully comp cover for a limited period on someone else's car etc) albeit at a modest extra cost compared to others. They promise to give renewal quotes no higher than a new customer would get, and last renewal actually went down.
I haven't had to claim, but review ratings aren't particularly good so I keep my fingers crossed I won't.

It's a lottery. As Jocko says, I've heard that about 3 weeks before renewal is the best time to get the most competitive quotes (shows you are prepared to take action in good time etc, marketing psychology).

123Drive!

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2021, 09:30:31 AM »
Aviva is rubbish. Had a claim back in Sept 2018-To cut a long story very short, despite having a dashcam video they went to a arbitration without my clip and conclude it was 50/50! Further they didn't even tell me until I called them in Feb 2020 despite regularly contacting them as it was affecting my other's car premium. In the end they did go back to my favour as I was going to take them to the Ombudsman.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 10:08:29 PM by 123Drive! »

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2021, 09:43:43 AM »
My experience is that they are all good until you have an incident or make a claim. 

I am with LV and just talking to them to ask advice went down on my records and they tried to put my policy up on the next renewal, even though no claim was made by either party.  After arguing with them, they relented.

Out of interest, the conversation was about someone reversing into me in a public carpark on which they said that even if dashcam footage was supplied and the other party admitting they were at fault, they would treat it as 50/50.  It's a joke.

They are all rouges in my onion.

123Drive!

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2021, 10:09:08 AM »
My experience is that they are all good until you have an incident or make a claim. 

I am with LV and just talking to them to ask advice went down on my records and they tried to put my policy up on the next renewal, even though no claim was made by either party.  After arguing with them, they relented.

Out of interest, the conversation was about someone reversing into me in a public carpark on which they said that even if dashcam footage was supplied and the other party admitting they were at fault, they would treat it as 50/50.  It's a joke.

They are all rouges in my onion.
In my experience, complain to the company and ask for some compensation. If not successful you can go to the financial ombudsman. That's the only way to get them to listen. For my case I complained three times and they paid me £250 in total. Also speak to claims dept manager. Claim handler usually not experienced in dealing with complex cases or claims.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 10:12:00 AM by 123Drive! »

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2021, 10:57:19 AM »
Driving over  50 yes in UK Europe & US I've found insurance companies have become focussed on new business. So shop around years ago Direct Line shook up the market then the web enabled companies to offer a   miriad of quotes.
Best bet do not autorenew but find a UK company which has reasonable customer service record. Companies are happy to take money off you and slow to pay when needed. Shop around.....

guest9236

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2021, 11:14:09 AM »
For many years  now we have used John Lewis as our vehicle insurers, first class service,  staff are polite and knowledgeable.
No complaints at all.
However having read the various observations of other posters on this subject, a traverse into other options will be considered.
Thank you to you all and keep safe in these very unsafe times.
Perhaps we will all look back on this in times to come and muse regarding how quickly all of the world was plunged into chaos by a virus
And how quickly some  recovered enough go on to supply  all the shortages of equipment required worldwide
Food for thought.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2021, 02:21:48 PM »
Read this guide and follow it. https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/motor-insurance/

It tells you how to do it in detail  AND WHEN.
Doing it last minute is no good.

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

• Trader
  • Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2021, 08:42:04 PM »
Hi.
Please feel free to give us a try for insurance if you wish.
Regards,
Dan.

Johncb500

• Approved Member
  • Honda owner since 1971,on 2 and 4 wheels
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz EX 2012-CB500/4 1974
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2021, 09:00:19 PM »

just had reason to contact my insurance ,

swapping my 61 plate Mk2 for a 15plate Mk2,the wife and I love the panorama roof,

same colour ,same Model ,EX, 

charged me £54 and £24 admin fee,

this is after being renewed in mid december.

One Call,I have now heard they can be expensive for alterations .

123Drive!

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2021, 09:43:02 PM »

just had reason to contact my insurance ,

swapping my 61 plate Mk2 for a 15plate Mk2,the wife and I love the panorama roof,

same colour ,same Model ,EX, 

charged me £54 and £24 admin fee,

this is after being renewed in mid december.

One Call,I have now heard they can be expensive for alterations .

Changing cars mid way through it's always not good! The insurance company knows you have to stick with them.

Tags:

anything