Author Topic: Why can't the CVT tow?  (Read 15953 times)

guest774

Why can't the CVT tow?
« on: May 08, 2013, 09:51:34 AM »
Does anyone have any thoughts on why the GE CVT isn't recommended for towing by Honda?
The GD CVT could tow and had a max towing weight in the book.
That model was fitted with a start clutch not the torque converter now used so I'd have thought it was less suitable.
All I'd use it for is short runs to the tip with a small trailer and even then just use S to keep the revs up.

Defender

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 1.4 EX CVT
Re: Why can't the CVT tow?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 02:23:16 PM »
I don't know the official Honda reason for it, but my thoughts are that as the only difference is the transmission it must be either that the transmission is near to it's maximum limit and that the extra stain of towing could/would exceed it, which I think is unlikely given Honda's engineering history.
So it must be cooling system related, if the transmission uses the engine's cooling system to cool the transmission fluid it could be that it's the limiting factor that means towing isn't possible?
I would like to know Honda's official reason though?
2011 1.4 EX CVT in Metalic Mushroom (Urban Titanium).

guest3418

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 02:36:26 PM »
With the GD Jazz the tow weight was reduced from 1000kg to 800kg.
It will probably have something to do with the cooling of the transmission oil. The oil will probably get a little hotter with the torque converter then with the start clutch.
It will still cause our GD Jazz being our first and last Jazz. The ability to tow a small (<750kg) is a must for us.

Verstuurd van mijn GT-N7100 met Tapatalk

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 03:42:44 PM »
Or is it just that Honda don't expect Europeans to tow anything with their Jazzes so they don't offer the facility?

Honda New Zealand http://www.honda.co.nz/cars/jazz/specs/specs/submodel/all/ shows 800kg towing weight for all their Jazzes except the Hybrid. Climatically, it's similar to western Europe.

John
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

guest3418

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 12:54:20 PM »
In NZ they still have the i-shift according to that site. Our a traditional auto box. They do not mention the CVT.

guest4046

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 01:14:50 PM »
I have a 1.4 CVT 2006 that I tow a trailer. I have towed from UK to Finland many times and run to Germany from Finland for wine, beer & lower priced food (than here in Finland). My Finnish trailer has a 700 kgs capacity and an Alko anti snaking & braked coupling. I have never had any problems even in winter with studded tyres on the trailer. I have noticed that my 2011 1.2 Trend (based in Cape Town) was not recommended  to install a tow bar - but I did for a bike rack. Looking under the car the chassis does not look as HD at the 2006 model - I know the Hybrid should not have a tow bar fitted - but can only think that Honda might not want any 'warranty claims' if you tow a small dingy, trailer if the CVT fails? My USA imported Lexus GS 300 (2007) advised (in USA) that you should not install a tow car, but when in Finland I fitted a Lexus EU approved tow bar and towed a 1400 kgs caravan with no problems. I reckon Lexus USA just did not want to see a Lexus towing a trailer or caravan !

guest3793

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 08:36:01 PM »
I would of thought if it was to carry larger awkward but not heavy loads there wouldn't be a problem so long as the tow bar can be secured.
I can't see the difference between carrying the weight of 4 passengers and luggage inside the car as opposed to pulling the same weight behind (without the passengers in the car). The engine and drive train will be doing about the same amount of work.
I have in the past fitted a tow bar to stop those parking bumps other people do and not actually tow anything.

guest3418

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 08:35:28 PM »
Even if you would install a towbar on a new Jazz with a CVT you are not allowed to pull anything.
Here in the Netherlands it is registered with a tow weight of 0kg...

guest4343

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 02:57:30 PM »
I have asked this same question, as I am busy buying the hybrid. The answer from Honda is it can't tow because the battery pack is in the back. And towing will negatively affect this. I can't understand why, but the answer seems to be firm and final. Maybe someone else can enlighten me on the reason?

guest2662

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 03:39:41 PM »
I was told it would overheat the gearbox on a auto, unless you fit an oil cooler,

Defender

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2015, 08:47:24 PM »
Old topic revival, I'm considering a towbar mounted cycle rack for my mountain bike, it weighs about 12kg but as it's carbon fibre I need a wheel support type so frame hanging type won't really work.
Has anyone fitted a current model CVT or Hybrid Jazz with a towbar ::)

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
    • Jazz No1 fuel consumption
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2005 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7 & 2006 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2015, 11:29:55 PM »
Has anyone fitted a current model CVT or Hybrid Jazz with a towbar ::)

Now why would anyone fess up to breaking the law on here?

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
    • Jazz No1 fuel consumption
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2005 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7 & 2006 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2015, 01:49:44 PM »
Actually, I'll take that back...

Bosal do a towbar for the Hybrid - http://www.catalogue.bosal.com/pdf/pdf_mi/042474.pdf - for use as a cycle carrier only. Use it for towing and the authorities will take you out with a sniper.  ;D

Defender

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2015, 05:29:23 PM »
Thanks Eddie, I spotted that too after my last post, as it also has an auto transmission, I can't understand why there's the difference?
I would only need one for bike rack fitting too, so that would be the best option and cheaper than changing cars!
You'd have to be very unlucky to find someone who's aware that the CVT isn't supposed to have a towbar?

Tags: