Author Topic: Honest Answers Required - Is the Mk3 better than the Mk2?  (Read 25879 times)

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: Honest Answers Required - Is the Mk3 better than the Mk2?
« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2017, 05:03:38 PM »
I am genuinely wondering andruec if you might be right there. I get the impression that a different pattern of acceleration is called for. It's possible the 2 drivers I've been with have been trying to accelerate too hard rather than let the power in a bit more gently.

It will certainly be the case with the motoring press who are almost as one in dissing CVTs.

guest4871

« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2017, 05:09:10 PM »
I called the dealers (actually they called me and left a message). What I hadn't fully appreciated was that the SE trim has only manual air con. I've had climate control since 2008 so I don't want to downgrade as it were. Annoying, as well, that they have removed the cup holder on the passenger side and one of the glove boxes. The top one on the Mk2 is useful for keeping your water cool when you have the climate control on.

I think I'd need an EX and they are not trying to offload these at present!

One thing I am going to do, at some point, is try out a CVT. I have dissed them based on the noise and clutch slipping sensation I've experienced in an Auris and a Jazz but this was as a passenger. I really need to see for myself.

If you are buying to a price - try Drivethedeal.com. You might a brand new EX close to the price you are looking at. You will be buying from a Honda dealer but at a much reduced price. I have bought my last three cars through them and the process has been straight forward every time. You can pay by debit card when you pick up the car. There is no real relationship between the dealer selling function and their servicing which you can get done at any dealer. The warranty and service plan are valid with all Honda dealers.

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2017, 05:15:58 PM »
Don't forget CarWow as well I bought my EX through them and would recommend them on the service I received.
Mine was delivered from Kent to the Midlands all in the quoted price.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #63 on: November 14, 2017, 05:57:50 PM »
I called the dealers (actually they called me and left a message). What I hadn't fully appreciated was that the SE trim has only manual air con. I've had climate control since 2008 so I don't want to downgrade as it were. Annoying, as well, that they have removed the cup holder on the passenger side and one of the glove boxes. The top one on the Mk2 is useful for keeping your water cool when you have the climate control on.

I think I'd need an EX and they are not trying to offload these at present!

One thing I am going to do, at some point, is try out a CVT. I have dissed them based on the noise and clutch slipping sensation I've experienced in an Auris and a Jazz but this was as a passenger. I really need to see for myself.
Upgrading to an EX is a lot of money to pay for climate control, and some folk have suggested that the larger wheels give a less comfortable ride, which was one of your original questions.  The mechanical heating controls are easy to use - I would put climate control in the "nice to have but not essential" box.  Why not test drive an SE, with and without  cvt?

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #64 on: November 14, 2017, 06:47:19 PM »
I certainly don't accept some people's description of the CVT as being 'loud and whiny'. At high RPM loud and growly is a better description. I tested it tonight driving up a steepish dual carriageway between the M40 and Middleton Cheney. I left the car in 'D' and from 30 up to 80 with my foot to the floor revs are not constant - they rise from 4,000 to the red line. They only become constant when they reach the redline and that ain't no whine - a manual car would sound the same at that point. I think that in 'S' the revs would start at 4,500 so would top out earlier.

And for another point: Coming down that hill in the morning my Jazz will sit at 60mph for the last half mile with no acceleration input. Despite that I pulled away from everyone else leaving the roundabout quite easily and eventually reached 100mph(*) before having to back off as the next roundabout approached. The Jazz might not be a sports car but it's no slouch either.

(*)All purely out of scientific interest you understand ;)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 06:49:37 PM by andruec »

peteo48

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #65 on: November 14, 2017, 07:13:44 PM »

Upgrading to an EX is a lot of money to pay for climate control, and some folk have suggested that the larger wheels give a less comfortable ride, which was one of your original questions.  The mechanical heating controls are easy to use - I would put climate control in the "nice to have but not essential" box.  Why not test drive an SE, with and without  cvt?

It's a good point. What I like about Climate Control is that it cuts the aircon in and out as required thus saving fuel and you can set a precise temperature.

Is it worth an extra grand though? Might need to rethink especially as I'm a low mileage driver. The tyre thing is interesting as well. I've come across this a lot in other websites and forums - the smaller wheel with a fatter tyre means better damping.

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #66 on: November 14, 2017, 09:02:55 PM »
I like climate control because it's mostly a set and forget thing. Unfortunately since the Mk2 it's not been quite so good. Both Mk2 and Mk3 have a tendency to get steamed up. The climate control is supposed to direct air toward the windscreen automatically but it's not very good at it. Typically it will direct it at the screen for a minute or so from start then never again which is unlikely to be enough in most cases. For both the Mk2 and Mk3 I resorted to setting the output to screen and feet (overriding the climate control for that but leaving it to handle everything else). One improvement with the Mk3 is that you can do that for as long as you want. The Mk2 had an annoying fault that meant after an hour set that way the CC would start pumping out cold air.

Mind you this evening was a bit weird suggesting the Mk3 has other foibles. Leaving the office car park the temp was 11 degrees outside and slightly misty. With the CC set to auto apart from vent set to screen and feet the fan was off. I was beginning to think it was broken and was just about to stop before joining the main road when it suddenly woke up at level 3. Most odd.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2017, 08:55:10 AM »
I find that the heater fan dosen't cut in, until the engine temperature light goes off, thus ensuring that you don't get unwanted cold air blowing in, at the start of your journey.
I never seem to,be troubled by a misted screen, maybe because the car is normally kept in the garage overnight.

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2017, 02:14:23 PM »
I find that the heater fan dosen't cut in, until the engine temperature light goes off, thus ensuring that you don't get unwanted cold air blowing in, at the start of your journey.
I never seem to,be troubled by a misted screen, maybe because the car is normally kept in the garage overnight.
I find it tends to build up during a long journey or even a short one if it's cold enough outside. It's something of a known issue - or at least one that a lot of people have complained about over the years.

guest4871

« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2017, 03:37:44 PM »
Are you sure you haven't got blocked ventilation outflow vents? It sounds to be misting as if it could/ would in recirculate mode i.e. there is not a free flow of warm moist air leaving the cabin or even that fresh air is not entering in the first place. Just a thought. It could be a low tech issue like a blocked pollen filter!

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2017, 04:31:53 PM »
Are you sure you haven't got blocked ventilation outflow vents? It sounds to be misting as if it could/ would in recirculate mode i.e. there is not a free flow of warm moist air leaving the cabin or even that fresh air is not entering in the first place. Just a thought. It could be a low tech issue like a blocked pollen filter!
I don't think so. It isn't as bad as if it was in recirc mode, this is just a gradual build up. I had it on my Mk2 and my Mk3 and it's often been mentioned here and on the wider web so I'm pretty sure it's just poor ventilation design. As I mentioned earlier the Mk2 had the added 'bonus' that if you left it blowing air at the windscreen after an hour it would switch to blowing out cold air. Hardly what you want in the middle of winter :-/

It's one thing I miss from my old Nissan days. With my three Nissans as long as you had your aircon on you could drive on recirc forever without it misting up, the system was that good. My first Civic was fine but that was the joint effort between Rover and Honda and actually had a centre windscreen vent on the top of the dash. After that all my Hondas have suffered misting to some degree, usually in the rear even though I'm usually the only one in the vehicle. My first Jazz was like that but the last two have been worse.

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=131.0
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 04:34:38 PM by andruec »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2017, 07:11:03 PM »
I never have bother with the windows steaming up on my Mk 1. I don't turn the fan on until I begin to see a bit of misting then I set it to 1 and it clears in seconds. We are normally two up. I only put the heat on if my wife is feeling cold because I never remove my jacket while driving the car!
My car is just an S and has no air con, and I leave it on Fresh air ALWAYS. Never ever use recirc.

rogbro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz EX
« Reply #72 on: December 11, 2017, 10:03:31 PM »
What I'd like to know is, is the 2017 MK4 1.5 vtec even better ??

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #73 on: December 12, 2017, 07:56:29 AM »
1.5 litres with a CVT could be a pretty hot car in the right hands. I hope that option is available although it might attract some of the undesirable types :)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 07:58:38 AM by andruec »

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #74 on: December 14, 2017, 09:34:16 PM »
I had the Jazz Mk 3 CVT and then moved to the HR-V with the 1.5 engine and there as a very noticeable improvement in performance, particularly at the lower end of the revs (no Atkinson cycle mode).The HR-V's engine offers about 30% more power from about 15% more capacity and this http://www.honda.co.uk/cars/new/coming-soon/jazz/overview.html states "a responsive 130PS 1.5 litre i-VTEC engine" which looks to be the same as in the HR-V.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Tags:

anything