Author Topic: Are fog lights worth adding?  (Read 36245 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Are fog lights worth adding?
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2020, 06:17:39 PM »
I suspect (guessing), because LED's are so dazzling they may have to be adjusted lower, even main beam ?

You can get a much better beam shape and cut-off with LED ( if they are designed properly, which many cheaper bulbs are not) - with an LED headlight designed from scratch the sky is the limit... Proper LED headlights have an array of LED chips rather than a single point light source of a filament.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 07:21:03 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2020, 06:20:00 PM »
I had a closer look at the headlights and it seems that low-beam and high-beam reflectors are on same mold. No way to adjust high-beam separately  :(

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2020, 04:17:02 AM »
I've had foglights on my last 3 Civics and my 5 previous cars before that. I can't remember ever having used them.

If the car came without them I wouldn't fit them.

Let's be careful out there !

TnTkr

• Approved Member
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2020, 04:52:51 PM »
I remember that fog lights in my dad's Mercedes in 80's were very useful when it was snowing and wind was blowing the snow making it difficult to see where the road is. I was expecting the same from Jazz's fog lights. I'll take the car to dealer for fog light adustment after two weeks. After that I'll see if they are worth anything.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2020, 05:00:29 PM »
very useful when it was snowing and wind was blowing the snow making it difficult to see where the road is.
Not something we have a lot of, I am glad to say, but they can be useful in snow more so than fog.

TnTkr

• Approved Member
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2020, 05:50:24 PM »
very useful when it was snowing and wind was blowing the snow making it difficult to see where the road is.
Not something we have a lot of, I am glad to say, but they can be useful in snow more so than fog.
;D I must say that I am glad too, that we have more snow than fog.

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2020, 11:33:44 AM »
The only time you can legally use fog lights (front and/or rear) here in the UK is "in fog or falling snow".

The law itself says: "in seriously reduced visibility."

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2020, 01:22:52 PM »
It also says when visibility is less than 100 metres.

From 2009: The Highway Code used to state specifically that front foglights could only be used in fog or "falling snow". It now seems to be more vague and open to (mis)interpretation.

My printed copy of the Highway code is from 2005, and that states "fog and falling snow" but the new online version now states as Rory says above.

plasma

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 mark 4
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2020, 04:14:43 PM »
Modern fog lights are about as much use as a chocolate teapot unlike those that were available years ago and were designed for foggy conditions and had a low, flat, penetrating beam.
As they are an extra and not a legal requirement I don't think that they are subject to MoT test regulations.

Vic.

+1 ,thats what I have found.

Plasma.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2020, 04:52:03 PM »
Although most cars I have driven over the last few years have had them, I rarely find I have reason to use front fog lights.

I think they probably get the most use by those drivers who think they "look good", who like to drive around with them on all the time. Consequently, used cars do sell on better with front fog lights  ;)

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2020, 09:05:39 PM »

From 2009: The Highway Code used to state specifically that front foglights could only be used in fog or "falling snow". It now seems to be more vague and open to (mis)interpretation.

My printed copy of the Highway code is from 2005, and that states "fog and falling snow" but the new online version now states as Rory says above.

Worth noting that the Highway Code isn't the law, it's a guide.

The law (The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989) makes no reference to a specific distance.

It's a bit bonkers these days as some LED DRLs are as bright as front fogs.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2020, 10:30:53 PM »

It's not the law, but it will be quoted in court to demonstrate what constitutes "seriously reduced visibility", or other good practise.

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto
« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2020, 11:57:56 AM »

The law (The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989) makes no reference to a specific distance.

It's a bit bonkers these days as some LED DRLs are as bright as front fogs.

A lot of the rules are actually law as explained in the introduction:-

'Many of the rules in The Highway Code are legal requirements, and if you disobey these rules you are committing a criminal offence. You may be fined, given penalty points on your licence or be disqualified from driving. In the most serious cases you may be sent to prison. Such rules are identified by the use of the words ‘MUST/MUST NOT’. In addition, the rule includes an abbreviated reference to the legislation which creates the offence.'

Boro53

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.5 Dynamic '17
« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2023, 07:45:35 PM »
Have any of you tried to replace H8 fog bulb to H11? Or maybe i should go another way?
There is a Honda's fog led kit Part # 08V31-T5A-100B dedicated to Jazz MK3. Probably this is the same lamp as in Civic X. The only difference is other type of connector.  It's wattage is 5,5W.
There is another kit for Civic type R - 08V31-E3J-D00. It's wattage is 12W and there is better sounded option for me. But is expensive. This kit's connectors should match PNP to Jazz (in Civic's they are required harness adaptor).

Sorry for my english.

Tags: