Author Topic: Noise shortly after moving away (cvt)  (Read 1773 times)

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2004 jazz
Noise shortly after moving away (cvt)
« on: June 30, 2020, 10:03:32 PM »
This was happening ever since I had the car and I don’t know whether it’s serious or not. When I start the car, change gear to Drive or Reverse, and start moving away (usually slowly on the brake rather than with gas), after a short distance (like 2 car’s length) the car makes a buzzing sound that lasts about a second. The faster I am moving the shorter it is. There is no vibration, just the sound. It sounds similar to the judder I had before that was fixed by changing CVT fluid recently, only much much more gentle than the judder. Also judder was related to moving away from a stop. The gentle buzzing noise I am talking about now only happens first time when I change to the gear. As long as my car is in Drive the sound never repeats no matter how many times I stop and move away. However if I stop and change to Reverse it will happen again, and then when I change back to Drive - again. Every time I first engage a direction. What puzzles me the most it is not immediate when pulling away. It only occurs after I start moving the car. That is, when doing a tight 3-point turn (when it’s actually a 5 point turn) it won’t come on after each change because the distance driven between changing direction is too short to cause it. Only when I finally move away for good it sounds. When I move away with accelerator I think it comes on but lasts shorter, however I can’t be 100% sure as the sound is not loud enough to hear it with revs. My mechanical knowledge is next to nothing I am sorry if this problem is obvious or has been answere here before, I browsed this forum before but couldn’t find exactly the same description. I am interested to know whether it’s serious as I intend to keep the car for a few years. Thanks

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
Re: Noise shortly after moving away (cvt)
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 07:46:01 PM »
It happens only when it’s warm. First thing in the morning is ok

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 08:28:19 PM »
When the CVT fluid was changed, was it a full 6 litre change ? Or just a drain of the 2liters that comes out when drained and refill.

If teh latter, it is likely the previously dirty fluid has contaminated the new fluid.
Do another change

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2020, 09:12:05 PM »
This has been done at honda a few thousands miles ago and they said they may need to change it once or twice, I left them the car and they said it only needed one change. I don’t know how many litres. From the old service book (before i had the car) it had FDSH but it seems the CVT fluid has never been changed before so it is possible I had it changed the first time after 15 years. The car had only 60k miles on when I bought it 18 months ago. Like I said it is similar but different to the judder I always had until the fluid was changed, the judder could happen when moving away at traffic lights or roundabout with „too much revs”, now it’s only after changing direction forward / reverse. It was in place since I got the car I just haven’t paid attention, now that I am confident I want to keep the car for some years I’d rather not neglect anything. Car still being serviced at honda but they are not good at picking up everything that might be wrong in such old cars

jazzyy

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2015
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2023, 08:56:11 AM »
This was happening ever since I had the car and I don’t know whether it’s serious or not. When I start the car, change gear to Drive or Reverse, and start moving away (usually slowly on the brake rather than with gas), after a short distance (like 2 car’s length) the car makes a buzzing sound that lasts about a second. The faster I am moving the shorter it is. There is no vibration, just the sound. It sounds similar to the judder I had before that was fixed by changing CVT fluid recently, only much much more gentle than the judder. Also judder was related to moving away from a stop. The gentle buzzing noise I am talking about now only happens first time when I change to the gear. As long as my car is in Drive the sound never repeats no matter how many times I stop and move away. However if I stop and change to Reverse it will happen again, and then when I change back to Drive - again. Every time I first engage a direction. What puzzles me the most it is not immediate when pulling away. It only occurs after I start moving the car. That is, when doing a tight 3-point turn (when it’s actually a 5 point turn) it won’t come on after each change because the distance driven between changing direction is too short to cause it. Only when I finally move away for good it sounds. When I move away with accelerator I think it comes on but lasts shorter, however I can’t be 100% sure as the sound is not loud enough to hear it with revs. My mechanical knowledge is next to nothing I am sorry if this problem is obvious or has been answere here before, I browsed this forum before but couldn’t find exactly the same description. I am interested to know whether it’s serious as I intend to keep the car for a few years. Thanks

Dear 1643 , was wondering if you got this issue rectified since then?

I've been searching high and low for an answer on google, but your topic comes the closest to my same issue (short mechanical whirring/buzzing sound) when first moving away from standstill , after starting the car .

Really hope to hear from you... Thank you so much.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2023, 05:50:56 PM »
... When I start the car, change gear to Drive or Reverse, and start moving away (usually slowly on the brake rather than with gas), after a short distance (like 2 car’s length) the car makes a buzzing sound that lasts about a second. .....
Yep, I notice the same thing in my 2018 car. Don't know what it is, haven't been able to identify where in the car it comes from. I'm sure it is fine, intrigued to know what it is but not losing any sleep over it.

Tags: