Author Topic: 6 yr service cost?  (Read 23317 times)

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
6 yr service cost?
« on: August 05, 2015, 02:15:21 PM »
Must be a few owners with GE / MkII's that have gone through this now, although ours has only done 30K miles.  What did you pay for the car's service at 6yrs old?

Had a look at the dealer website and was suprised that the 3yr service in 0-3yrs old car is cheaper than the same for a car more than 3yrs old - that doesn't usually happen!

Also, did you get the Honda Roadside assistance renewed?  Dealer added it after the last service (last one under the 5yr servicing deal) but I notice the coverage is more limited (although still fine for what we need).
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 02:56:51 PM by Rory »

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: 6 yr service cost?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 02:44:40 PM »
I had bought a 4 year service package when I bought the car but did get the Honda Assistance extension as part of the last service.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 05:33:29 PM »
at my dealer after 3 years the service is cheaper, its £155 for a full synth service and £30 for the mot at the same time ( i switched off the minder service when i bought the car new) and then i add on a filter or other item i want.

i have heard you get brake down cover with your service but i didn't know you got a piece of paper to say that i thought if you broke down they could tell by the registration number it has had a main dealer service
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 05:37:00 PM by monkeydave »

dogbiscuit

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz 1.3 i-VTEC SE MT
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 06:36:02 PM »
I've just had a 75K/6yr service at a Honda dealer. It cost £430 including VAT and that included the change of gear box oil, brake fluid and spark plugs plus the usual service items.

Rory

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 06:40:26 PM »
i have heard you get brake down cover with your service but i didn't know you got a piece of paper to say that i thought if you broke down they could tell by the registration number it has had a main dealer service

Certainly last year I got a letter confirming cover signed by the dealer, hence I knew the cover was less than the original scheme (main thing, I think, was no European cover).  The car was covered until then as part of the 5yr service deal when I bought it.

Rory

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 06:47:25 PM »
I've just had a 75K/6yr service at a Honda dealer. It cost £430 including VAT and that included the change of gear box oil, brake fluid and spark plugs plus the usual service items.

Gulp!  Has it actually done 75K, and is the car manual or auto?   I think that's about the right price for the work (the iridium plugs are expensive at dealer prices) but they didn't do you any favours.

monkeydave

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 08:13:58 PM »

Certainly last year I got a letter confirming cover signed by the dealer, hence I knew the cover was less than the original scheme (main thing, I think, was no European cover).  The car was covered until then as part of the 5yr service deal when I bought it.

did you have to ask for the letter or do they give you it automatically ?

Rory

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 11:23:17 PM »

did you have to ask for the letter or do they give you it automatically ?

I asked for the cover when I took the car in and they said they would add it.  It was noted on the invoice at £0 and I was given the letter.

I doubt any of that would have happened without asking - I was made to feel like they were doing me a favour.

monkeydave

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 11:37:21 PM »
cheers, im at the end of the 5 years warranty/breakdown in march so this will save me getting extra brakedown cover

Garyman

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 ES
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 09:43:47 AM »
When I bought the car, I'd purchased the 5 years servicing plan for £500 iirc.

After the 5th service, my dealer asked me if i would be interested in purchasing their 2 year service plan which was £450

This works out at an average of £136 per service over 7 years which looks fine to me.

Cant believe dogbiscuit paid £430 for 75k/6yr service  :o

Guess i got a good deal

Rory

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2015, 10:41:29 PM »
When I bought the car, I'd purchased the 5 years servicing plan for £500 iirc.

After the 5th service, my dealer asked me if i would be interested in purchasing their 2 year service plan which was £450

This works out at an average of £136 per service over 7 years which looks fine to me.

Cant believe dogbiscuit paid £430 for 75k/6yr service  :o

Guess i got a good deal

I did this on a SEAT we had in the family and the dealer would only do the basic scheduled service - even brake fluid was extra.   In Honda's case I'd be concerned they wouldn't do the spark plug and transmission oil change, or they change the plugs and use standard ones, not the iridium type fitted from new, as they're very expensive.

monkeydave

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2015, 11:37:28 PM »
yeah id rather pay each year then you get what you pay for not another quickie service as we already got the money one

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2015, 08:52:42 AM »
When my hybrid had its 75,000 mile service it was £600, it was the first one that was not covered by the service plan. The services then start again, so 87,500 is the same as the 12,500 service, so when the car got to 150,000 miles, I expected another £600 bill, but was pleasantly surprised that it was £450 instead, although going from memory I think I was only charged for 4 spark plugs  :P

Rory

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2015, 03:28:44 PM »
Well, booked it in for its 6yr service today.  Dealer was absolutely un-moveable on the "Honda" £255 price which includes air & pollen filter and brake fluid change.  MOT for £35 though.

They said the plugs ought to be done, although I see that as 75k mile specific item, so I refused those. Also manual gearbox oil change is 8yrs (although that seems to vary depending on where you look) so no issue there.  Coolant 10yrs.

The one item I hadn't considered was fuel filter.  Again dealer said it ought to be changed at 6yrs at cost of £120.  I know on the Mitsubishi Colt we just got rid of it was an 8yr thing and very expensive as it's integral with the fuel pump.  Frustrated owners who bought replacements reported that the old filter was as clean as the new one!  So I declined that too.

I asked if the Honda Assistance would still be renewed and they said yes.

Interesting that they had no issues doing the work on Monday - ie next working day.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 03:44:07 PM by Rory »

monkeydave

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2015, 04:47:45 PM »
i've never heard of the fuel filter being replaced and if they dont want the £155 +£30 mot with a few extras of your choosing you dont have to take their plan as it is out of warranty. i certainly wont be dictated to by the dealer they should be grateful your still turning up after your warranty period

thanks for saying the gearbox oil is 8 years as i couldn't find anything on it just like the fuel filter
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 04:50:49 PM by monkeydave »

Tags: