Author Topic: Are service books worth the paper they are stamped on?  (Read 6072 times)

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Are service books worth the paper they are stamped on?
« on: August 02, 2019, 03:36:48 PM »
As per title.

The old Jazz is gone, and has been replaced with a late mark 2, from a Honda main dealer. It's a nice enough car, but something caught my eye whilst having a peruse under the bonnet - a mucky old oil filter. Now bear in mind, this car has just been serviced by the main dealer for a 50,000 service prior to sale, service book is stamped up, last stamp on 1st July 2019 by the selling dealer. No miles since then.

So I do a bit more investigating. Oil filter - looks 12 month old. Air filter - filthy. Coils dirty, don't look like they have been touched for some time, so presume the plugs haven't been touched either. I presume 50K is a major service, which normally warrants brake & clutch fluids, so presume they haven't been done either. Haven't checked cabin filter yet, but it's not looking promising, is it?

Oil is brand new. Washer bottle topped up, but that's it as far as I can see. I don't know exactly how much a major service costs at a Honda dealership, but as far as I'm concerned, that was agreed to be in with the car and I want some money back! I'm loathe to let them service it again, so if anyone has any idea what the full retail price of a 50K service is, the information would be appreciated.

I have taken photos, and will be pursuing this with the dealer, so I'm not naming and shaming just yet. To be continued...

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.

sparky Paul

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
Re: Are service books worth the paper they are stamped on?
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 04:13:39 PM »
https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/3-years-plus.html

Start here.

Thanks for the link Jocko, I think that says a major service is £275.

I'Ve also been looking at http://hondafitjazz.com/manual3/ for the schedules, I'm pretty sure it should have had more than the oil sucked out and replaced!

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2019, 05:16:15 PM »
We are in the lap of the gods when we entrust our cars to a garage. There is a huge amount of literature from Which and various investigations by consumer programmes like Watchdog testifying to work not being done or unnecessary work "invented" just to get more money out of you.

How many people will look at the oil filter? They'll notice the clean oil but these "hidden" jobs often don't get done. I'm often suspicious when I look at Ebay with manufacturers parts cropping up for sale. Are these parts that weren't fitted at the time and pinched to make money on the side. The amount of unopened paint sealant kits from the likes of Autoglym, Supagard and co for sale on Ebay make you wonder how many people have handed over good money for, quite literally, nothing.

A good independent worth their weight in gold.

Interested to hear what the vendors say in your case.

sparky Paul

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2019, 05:33:37 PM »
Interested to hear what the vendors say in your case.

Indeed it will. First job is to get a ist of the work that they allege to have done for the 50K service.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2019, 06:31:50 PM »
My first GD ( 53 plate was bought at about 3 years old from Honda dealer, with FSH from said dealer. 

Air filter was black as a coal mine filter, as was cabin filter. When I checked  oil filter was actually very rusty - if you ask me non of them had been replaced since car was new, first thing I did was replace them all and the oil and spark plugs.

Service history is not worth the paper it is written on, I look after my cars much better than any dealer would, but have no paper to prove it except receipts for fluids and parts.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2019, 06:37:05 PM »
I look after my cars much better than any dealer would, but have no paper to prove it except receipts for fluids and parts.

Ditto.

I can see them wanting another go at it, I'm afraid that's not going to happen.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2019, 09:42:48 PM »
I've seen some pretty black air filters over the years. This rip off service is almost the norm. It's a testimony to the quality of engineering in most modern cars that they can actually survive for years with practically no service items being replaced at all apart from the oil.

sparky Paul

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2019, 09:51:00 PM »
Does anyone know what should be on the 4yr 50K service? The service book tells you nothing.

Managed to get hold of a copy of the internal invoice for the service which lists washer fluid, oil, oil filter, drain plug washer & cabin filter. Surely it needs more than a glorified oil change at 4 yrs?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 10:28:24 PM by sparky Paul »

sparky Paul

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2019, 01:08:00 PM »
Dealer has replied that plugs, air filter, hydraulic fluids not done at 50K 4 year service, only oil and pollen filter. They say plugs at 75K 6 years, but were non-committal about the rest.

Car is out on a jolly today, I will check the pollen filter over the weekend and get underneath to have a good look at the oil filter. It looks quite grimy from the top, but you cannot see down to the base of it, where the seam rusts.

guest4871

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2019, 07:29:29 PM »
Reply 17 in this post will show you the Honda Schedule Service Check Sheet which I believe is still current:

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=7252.msg33242#msg33242

Copy attached.

50,000 miles is shown as a service point.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2019, 07:45:49 PM »
Going by the check list, the only thing you can get them on is the oil and pollen filters, assuming they were not changed.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2019, 08:40:28 PM »
My Honda Jazz was serviced by Holdcroft Honda (SToke on Trent) under the 5 year scheme

At the end of 5 years, I took over maintenance. I checked: previous filters all looked like new.
Highly recommended.

sparky Paul

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2019, 09:07:51 PM »
Reply 17 in this post will show you the Honda Schedule Service Check Sheet which I believe is still current:

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=7252.msg33242#msg33242

Copy attached.

50,000 miles is shown as a service point.

Thanks for that zzaj, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Going by the check list, the only thing you can get them on is the oil and pollen filters, assuming they were not changed.

Indeed. I shall be giving it a good examination tomorrow. I must say though, the air filter looks about ready.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2019, 09:10:58 PM »
My Honda Jazz was serviced by Holdcroft Honda (SToke on Trent) under the 5 year scheme

At the end of 5 years, I took over maintenance. I checked: previous filters all looked like new.
Highly recommended.

That's encouraging for me because Holdcroft have the Honda Dealership in Warrington.

Tags:

anything