Author Topic: Auto-Folding Side Mirrors on the Jazz  (Read 63045 times)

guest1272

Re: Auto-Folding Side Mirrors on the Jazz
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2014, 01:33:50 PM »
Yep, that looks like the same one I bought. 9 wires in total (4 for splicing into the manual button, 2 for door lock/unlock input, perm positive, acc positive, earth).
From the description, it works the same way too (auto-fold on door lock, auto cut-off if too high a load etc)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

guest4621

• Topic Starter
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2014, 11:24:10 AM »
Yep, that looks like the same one I bought. 9 wires in total (4 for splicing into the manual button, 2 for door lock/unlock input, perm positive, acc positive, earth).
From the description, it works the same way too (auto-fold on door lock, auto cut-off if too high a load etc)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you very much Gaffer - I've just ordered now. Saves me keep pressing the button every time I park. I have a habit of leaving the car unlocked / checking if it is unlocked.... Hopefully I'll be able to tell by the mirrors when this is fitted.

guest5905

• Topic Starter
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2016, 01:17:39 AM »
Has anyone done this to the new 2015-16 shape jazz? or the 2005 one too?

jazzster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 1.4 Vtec EX CVT
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2016, 12:07:33 PM »
After coming back to a Jazz, I have installed the folding mirrors in my new one . Seemed to be hard work this time the mirror wire was awkward to get at very short when disconnected , may be because I was fitter last time. but seems to work OK. I had to get a new module as i cant find the old one found the wires but not the box, but only Just under £7 this time so not too bad.. Got a front and rear camera fitted also, wish i had the ES plus not the EX because the wiper sensor is in the way so I had to have the camera lower than I would of liked.
Not connected to auto open it unfolds with the ignition. so if Im just opening the car to get something out its not not constantly folding and unfolding

(its a 15 plate Mk2, just a year old the other day, with 3500 miles when I had a month ago)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 12:18:19 PM by jazzster »

fatlad

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2013 1.4 se
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2016, 01:33:44 PM »
OK, so here we go with another mod:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/eZJvvInTSZc?hl=en_GB&amp;amp;version=3" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/eZJvvInTSZc?hl=en_GB&amp;amp;version=3</a>

The beauty of it is, that most of the wiring points can be found at the under dash fuse box. Simply wrap the wire around the right hand side (the protected side) of the fuse and it ends up protecting the module and being easy to wire up (the module's wires are in bold - refer to the module wiring picture to see a diagram - refer to the piccie of the fusebox layout to understand the fuses used):

Ground (Black) = into screw that holds the fuse box in place (check it's grounded first, the big silver ones that hold the whole fusebox into place are even though they look like they're screwing into polystyrene).
Perm +ve (Red) = into fuse 43
Acc +ve (Yellow) = into fuse 15
Door Unlock signal pulse (Green) = into fuse 49 (this fuse shows a 12V pulse on door unlock)
Door Lock signal pulse (Blue) = into fuse 35 (this fuse shows a 12V pulse on door lock)

...and the only wires you need to cut are the 2 yellow and grey ones going to and from the manual button (leaving 4 wire "ends"):
Cut the yellow (extend) and grey (retract) wires to the button:
(button side) yellow extend = to manual switch on input on module (Grey)
(button side) grey retract= to manual switch off input on module (White)
(car side) yellow extend= to output for open on module (Brown)
(car side) grey retract= to output for close on module (Orange)

...and that's it. Modules are the 9 wire ones from eBay (all about £20-£30). Type "auto fold mirror module" into eBay and choose a Universal one. It will have it's own 15A fuse as well. I got one like this:

Took about a couple of hours to wire in correctly as I was checking everything with a multimeter as I went, but you could install it in less time once you know what to put where.

Also, the actual manual button still works as it should as the system gets disabled when the car is running (so you can still manually fold them in to squeeze into tight parking spaces and not worry about them extended automatically when you return to the car because you have pushed in the button (to retract) which has also disabled the system).

Overall very cheap and quick to install  ;).

does the motors for the mirrors come with the kit?
where & how do they fit?
'deny everything Baldrick'

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2016, 01:51:39 PM »
does the motors for the mirrors come with the kit?
where & how do they fit?
No motors supplied.
If you have normal switch operated folding mirrors, this kit will also make them fold when using the remote locking.
--
TG

guest6185

• Topic Starter
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2016, 10:24:00 PM »
I am really interested in this and have already ordered my "Intelligent Auto Side Rearview Rear View Mirror Folding System" on fleabay, £6.62

I have seen several posts, including the ones on this thread, on it being fitted fairly easily into the fusebox under the dash.  Problem is, I have the 2016 (MkIII model?) where the fusebox is under the bonnet at the front nearside and try as I might, I can find no instructions on how to fit/wire to the new model.  I really do not want to have to start taking the car apart to install this and hope it'll be a simple(ish) quick(ish) fix.  Can anyone help?  Has anyone installed auto folding mirrors kit to the new 2016 Jazz?  Or can anyone help with a copy of a circuit diagram of the fusebox/mirrors with wiring colour codes?

Any help would be much appreciated.  Thanks.

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2016, 08:31:59 AM »
I really do not want to have to start taking the car apart to install this and hope it'll be a simple(ish) quick(ish) fix.  Can anyone help?  Has anyone installed auto folding mirrors kit to the new 2016 Jazz?
Maybe ask in the Mk3 forum?
There is usually a dual purpose junction / fuse box under the dash in modern cars to provide a location to interconnect the various wiring looms probably hidden with a clip on cover. 
This 2016 US Fit manual shows interior fuse box A & B on pages 424 > 425 beneath the driver's dash. 
http://www.manualslib.com/manual/961176/Honda-2016-Fit.html?page=424

The Mk 2 Jazz will do this for you anyway if you follow the right sequence.
Before you switch engine off press mirror fold button and mirrors fold in.
Switch  engine off- key in position 1 and press mirror fold switch again , then remove key.
When you next start the engine the mirrors will unfold as soon as you start the engine.

Very clever these Hondas !   
If this function is carried over to the Mk3 then half the job is done already.
--
TG

guest6185

• Topic Starter
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2016, 09:11:40 PM »
Double checked and deffo no fuse box anywhere under the dash either side of the car.

And yes, I already do carry out that "function", when I remember.  But that's not the reason I (and others I've read about) want auto folding mirrors.  My last car had auto folding mirrors and it's a sorely missed feature.  But the main point being, you can just glance at the car, see the mirrors are folded and know instantly the car is locked and that you haven't forgotten to lock it.  It's not possible to check it's locked by trying to open the driver door after locking as it instantly unlocks again just by touching the door handle.  You'd have to try the rear door to check.  Pain in the anus.

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2016, 03:12:29 PM »
I personally think the tip from TG about pressing the switch when the key  is in position 1is excellent. It's a jolly sight easier than going through the problem of interfering with the wiring.
Now I have got into the habit, I think it's brilliant.

guest6185

• Topic Starter
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2016, 03:42:46 PM »
I personally think the tip from TG about pressing the switch when the key  is in position 1is excellent.

I do agree and it's something I already discovered and perform now but as I explained, the reason why I, and others like me want it, is it provides confirmation from a distance that you've remembered to lock the car.   :)

A case of ETTO I guess.  I will have a go at the wiring, being an electronics engineer, that doesn't bother me.  Once it's done, it's done and you can be sure it'll be a tidy and concealed affair.   ;)

amghosted

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid HS & Jazz Sport
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2017, 08:57:22 PM »
Hi All,

I know this is an old post but having just bought the Jazz for my wife, i'm getting fed up when I or she keep forgetting to fold the mirrors in using the switch on the dash.

Having read the thread I have purchased one of the folding mirror kits (less than £9 now) and also some fuse piggy back adapters (£4 for 4) so I have everything ready and just need to install the unit.

However I have a couple of questions;

1. Is it still necessary to disconnect the battery ?
2. How do you pull out the Mirror position/fold extract plug connector? is there a technique ?

I've tried pulling on the plug and wires (not wanting to pull them out of their pins) but I'm having great difficulty in getting the connector out, does it have any clips?

Many thanks

Gary

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2017, 09:16:45 PM »
Most plugs have some sort of retainer. Sometimes it is a small ramp that snaps into a hole in the side. Occasionally you have to use a small blade to loosen it. What the particular plug you are trying to release has, I cannot tell, but you are right to be careful not to pull the wires out.

amghosted

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid HS & Jazz Sport
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2017, 11:38:26 AM »
Thanks,

Maybe I'll try and stick my phone in the gap and take a photo as it'll give me a better idea of what type of plug it is and how it is retained.

Cheers

G

jazzster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 1.4 Vtec EX CVT
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2017, 10:28:09 PM »
it has a tab that needs to be squeezed in, cant remember which side it is on but you may be able to feel it, if i remember correctly the plug is square

Tags: