Author Topic: Swansway Rochdale closed.  (Read 3269 times)

davejazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz EX 1.5 May 22 in boring black!
Swansway Rochdale closed.
« on: June 03, 2019, 03:28:59 PM »
 Sadly, another one bites the dust.

Got an email this morning, directing me to Bolton or Stockport.

Are they that reliable, they don't need technicians to fix 'em? :( :( :(

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Swansway Rochdale closed.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 03:34:31 PM »

You are closer than you think, as many people don't opt for dealer servicing and routine jobs like cambelt replacement disappear then repairs on a Honda are too few and far between to keep dealers going,  add in online sites like drive the deal etc driving margins down and pretty soon there won't be any dealers left.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 10:24:23 PM »
It must make a difference for local sales though.

There used to be two well regarded dealers in the Chester area - Honda canned them so they both closed, and new one, part of a dealer group, opened up at Cheshire Oaks.  I don't think much of them.  It's really noticeable how Hondas have dissappeared locally - they're a rare sight now.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 09:54:28 AM »

There used to be two well regarded dealers in the Chester area - Honda canned them so they both closed, and new one, part of a dealer group, opened up at Cheshire Oaks.  I don't think much of them.  It's really noticeable how Hondas have dissappeared locally - they're a rare sight now.

Our local Honda dealers in Shropshire -  J T Hughes sell Mitsubishi, Hyundai and Honda - obviously hedged their bets..
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2019, 10:36:50 AM »

Our local Honda dealers in Shropshire -  J T Hughes sell Mitsubishi, Hyundai and Honda - obviously hedged their bets..

Here in Warrington the multiple franchise dealership is increasingly common. Quite literally round the corner from me is Bentley Toyota with Bentley Citroen on the same site. Our local Mitsubishi dealership - 5 minutes walk from us - has just added the MG franchise to the Mitsubishi offering.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2019, 10:59:20 AM »
When the Honda dealership in Kirkcaldy closed the number of new Hondas, in the town, fell dramatically.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2019, 11:20:44 AM »
When the Honda dealership in Kirkcaldy closed the number of new Hondas, in the town, fell dramatically.

I feel that Honda may be winding down their presence in Europe ( which has  been small market for them in last 10 years or so ) and concentrating more on Japan, USA and Asia.  Company I used to work for started making parts for Jazz and Civic in about 2009/10 but the production capacity Honda requested when we installed the equipment never got anywhere near reality,  IIRC ( I left in early 2011 ) our company needed the space desperately and asked Honda to find another supplier so that they could take on work with greater volumes.  Car companies used to pay for the production equipment anyway so it belonged to them, this was a hedge against companies going bust or producing bad quality when the customer would just move equipment to another factory.

https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/hondas-european-plant-closings-shifts-work-north-america

http://johnredwoodsdiary.com/2019/02/20/honda-loses-out-in-europe-and-worries-about-the-change-to-electric-cars/
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 11:34:27 AM by culzean »

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2019, 12:01:40 PM »

The Cheshire Oaks site has Hyundai on it as well - all built for Holdcroft.   The showrooms are in separate buildings, but whether that share any 'back-office' stuff, I don't know.

Rory

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2019, 12:11:04 PM »
Here in Warrington the multiple franchise dealership is increasingly common. Quite literally round the corner from me is Bentley Toyota with Bentley Citroen on the same site. Our local Mitsubishi dealership - 5 minutes walk from us - has just added the MG franchise to the Mitsubishi offering.

Threw me for a minute there - no disrespect, but I was wondering how Warrington could support two Bentley dealers!

Mitsubishi is another disaster area - my Jazz driving daughter had a Colt as he first car.  Very similar car to Jazz but cheaper - neat sliding rear seat, and lovely 3cyl MIVEC engine.  Then Mitsubishi replaced it with something very different - I can't even remember what it's called and you never see them on the road.

But the dealers were terrible - it's the only car we've had were we've changed the dealer we used, and not once, but twice.  A multi-franchise place on the Wirral had the franchise for a while and that was brilliant as daughter drove past it on her commute, and they were very nice on the one occasion we got to use them.   But they can't have had the franchise for a year and it was gone again.

guest7494

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2019, 03:05:40 PM »

My local dealer Yeoman's Honda is still so far operational,I have 3 more years of  a 5 year service contract left to complete,I cannot wait to say goodby to this bunch of sheisters, there attitude is bordering on contemptuous, the tone is they are doing me a favour not the other way round.
The service agreement was thrown in as part of deal.So not a personal choice.
 But any query or question to them is dealt with in a take it or leave it manner as if theres a light on but nobody in.
I do not trust that all the service requirements are completed.
As the next service coincides with the end of warranty.
I may say tatty bye and  forgo the last 2 years of the incompetence and use my local chap, any opinions on the course of this action would be very interesting.and thank you in advance.

LJs JAZZ

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 es cvt
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2019, 04:00:06 PM »
We bought one of our Jazz"s  from Rochdale when it was Pennine Honda, they also had a branch in Ashton as well.
Bought our latest Jazz from Swansway Stockport, we found them to be OK, but could not get a proper answer out of them regarding the service reminder function which never worked. Turns out that it is up to the dealer to set this up, but they decided not to as it caused too many problems.
Swansway Stockport are on the A6 just south of Stockport town centre in a showroom formally occupied by Daewoo, remember them?

Rory

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2019, 10:57:03 PM »
I see Honda's sales down 26% last month vs May 2018, in a market down just under 5% overall.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 12:04:31 PM by Rory »

Tags: