Author Topic: AirCon  (Read 1154 times)

copelandbc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2
AirCon
« on: October 10, 2021, 09:26:25 PM »
My 60 reg Jazz is giving me problems re aircon. It takes ages to come on (10 mins), and most times not at all. Had it gassed up and the mechanic asked me if I'd been having problems with it. (The gassing up did no good). I did not have time to discuss it with him and besides I would rather be better informed before I did.So what's going wrong and what's the likey cost?

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: AirCon
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2021, 09:17:57 AM »
My 60 reg Jazz is giving me problems re aircon. It takes ages to come on (10 mins), and most times not at all. Had it gassed up and the mechanic asked me if I'd been having problems with it. (The gassing up did no good). I did not have time to discuss it with him and besides I would rather be better informed before I did.So what's going wrong and what's the likey cost?

Plenty of threads on this forum about aircon, do a search. 

Pretty much 95% of aircon problems caused either by a dodgy clutch relay or low gas due to leaks, mainly via the exposed condensor ( the thin aircon radiator mounted in front of main engine cooling radiator  ) .

Just had to replace condensor on Civic due to a hole ii it due to a stone ( why do Honda make lower bumper grilles that a sparrow could fly though without closing its wings ? ) -   I blew some UV flourescent dye (  https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CAKWJA2/  ) into system and just enough gas to get compressor going, shone a UV torch through front grill and there was a glowing green patch on condensor fins...

The gas was staying in about a week...  Bought a Nissens condensor off Ebay for £95, got some 1/4" square welded stainless steel mesh and while I had front bumper dropped I fitted a 'stone filter' in front of new condensor. 
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 09:41:48 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: AirCon
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2021, 12:35:02 PM »
If you want to check if aircon is working OK, this is a useful tool.   Have a couple of these, fitted one to motorbike to monitor the regulator rectifier temperature and another for dropping the probe down the centre dash vent to check on aircon temperature.  They go from -20deg C to +110 and are pretty accurate compared to more expensive ones  have checked them against.   

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303585881285

If you leave the probe in the vent and go for a drive with temp set to say 20degC you will see airflow go from over 50degC early in journey which then drops as cabin heats up, and then airflow goes from ambient and often even lower ( depending on the temp the cabin temperature sensor is seeing ).  I thought my wife was having a laff when she complained about 'cold draughts' in the car on longer journeys,  but the thermometer does not lie,  the airflow does indeed go pretty cold compared to cabin temperature as the cabin sensor tries to keep cabin at set temperature ( the temperature setting is cabin temp, not airflow temp ).   
« Last Edit: November 08, 2021, 12:42:01 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags:

anything